PulseAudio 9.0 Released With Many Audio Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Which means I'm right, and that you're wrong.
    There is a glaring flaw in your logic and I'll let you sit on it for a while. Because I'm still in a fairly good mood I'll give you a hint though -- It has to do with a very small number.

Comment

• Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
      There is a glaring flaw in your logic and I'll let you sit on it for a while. Because I'm still in a fairly good mood I'll give you a hint though -- It has to do with a very small number.
      my dataset is pretty large given my job, this was just to show you a real-life example.
      I'm not usually a phone guy but this applies to most of my interactions with customers:

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        my dataset is pretty large given my job, this was just to show you a real-life example.
        I'm not usually a phone guy but this applies to most of my interactions with customers:
        Heard yesterday when I tried to "change the world" as random_username proposed:

"And so... now what... the document is good... what should I do? Click on the floppy disk image like the last time?"

Comment

Last edited by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy; 24 June 2016, 12:23 PM. Reason: Actually, I've grown tired of this. And probably others have as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexcortes View Post

This subject of audio reproduction quality is far more complex than the technicalities involved. Audiophiles, almost all of them, are deaf-retard people, and even if they do listen a difference (or not) due to some kind of change at the signal patch were complete irrelevant (audio-quality-wise), since they do not know how music/sound is in real life.

Most of the products on "high end market" are purely crap sounding devices, or simple scams, because they fail in create something even near a real life reproduction they claim to do. They may offer less noise, "blacker blacks" etcetera. or ever "quantum leaps" but complete fail on the primary objective of the "Hi Fidelity" hobby.

IMO, does not matter if a product cost 100 or 100.000, and if it use copper, silver or conductive concrete at the signal patch, the price tag is just a market thing (and can always be worked if you know hot the market works). The point IS if the product make what it is suppose to do or not, and almost all of them do not.

If someone is pursuing some kind of high fidelity in audio, or have advanced interests on it, he/her should know at minimum how (i.e.) a cello sound in real life before making any kind of statement about the quality reproduction of XYZ product of that instrument, and the majority of the audiophiles do not have intellectual capabilities to do that ever if they do listen to someone playing that instrument very often.

We always hear audiophiles talking about "tight bass" and "faster bass" as the best bass reproduction or something to pursuit for the best hi-fi reproduction, when the real life bass but electronic music (what ironically rarely is heard on equipments that go lower than 60 Hz), is not tight neither fast - at least not in all octaves.

The only way to archive a real life bass reproduction is dividing the three lower octaves on three different parts and have separated amplifiers feeding each one with the right load - so, there is a need of custom made amplifiers at least, and not buy something pre-cooked.

Making a complex subject simple, the bass articulation should be made by the upper-bass, the mid-bass should be a little slower, and become "slow" at sub-infra-bass. But to integrate and archive it one need to do a lot of "observation" and have ears.

Before an "audiophile" be capable of at least to understand how music/sound is, does not matter if the recording was made analog, 16bit/44Khz or 65656bit/8769857Khz, if it will change the result or not. He/Her will not be capable to interpret it (the change), what may be, of course, for good or bad.

Another mistake everyone do, not just audiophiles, is if people hear lower 20 Hz or not. Frequencies lower than 20 Hz may not be heard but can easily be felt, but the only way to really understand and interpret it is being exposed to the big pipe organs for sometime. And to reproduce the recording later, one need to have the necessary capable equipment.

Most of the problems I find in digital audio reproduction is not related if it was recorded on this or that frequency or bit rate, but by "problems" created by the retard people recording it. I am still to find a better sounding DAC topology than a true R-2R 16bit/44Khz DAC, which can ever be made/modified to accept 24bit/192Khz input (but will still reproduce just 16bit/44Khz of course), what is good thing to try, if you "trust" your DAC, to partially avoid retard people doing retard things when down sampling the recording.

IMO, the point of old analog recordings tends to sound better than the moderns digital ones rely on the fact that in the past most of audio engineers was people whom really know their job, and on the today digital things any retard can be a "audio engineer", because it is too easy, simple and cheap to have a capable equipment.

PS. of course pro audio is a complete different subject, with very different objectives.
            It's incredible how you could not understand the whole point of my post, you just answered without reading ANYTHING i wrote and went ahead on a random rant about audio recording and reproduction, while i was talking about audio PROCESSING.

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Tell to a average street people about DAC without explanation that is digital-analog converter. A micro chip that produces analog audio can be called analog audio chip, because in a high quality dac analog components (in the line amplifier) are the most critical. So you do not know about electronics at all.
              Yeah, that's it. You were totally trying to explain it in layman's terms. On Phoronix

Comment

You are funny when saying that I do not know anything about audio. On top of my desk there is a pair of B&W DM 601S2 speakers and Kurzweil K2000VP Music Workstation. In my closet there is Yamaha DSP Factory PCI card and AX44 input/output module. I recommend the same setup instead of bluetooth audio.
                And I recommend a Tesla to anyone driving a Prius. Since we're at the "valuable" advice stage.
                Btw, owning audio equipment only proves you have money

Comment

Tesla cars burn like iPhones. Only good stuff that comes from US is Amd microchips. Kurzweil is American history now. Btw, Prius has 10 years warranty for the battery and it does run with gasoline too, not a bad deal at all. Diesel cars are the best for Americans, diesel engines do run with burger grease.

Those who buy Bluetooth audio hardware for the PC are simple, with little money you can buy a pair of used hi-fi speakers and used power amplifier. For mobile use wired headphones are the best, because of no need for battery.
                  And I love to take my 200kg speakers and 14kg amplifier with me when I'm out or exercising.

Comment

Pulseaudio is not used in pro audio production and in embedded devices like jackd and gstreamer are.
                    Really? Hello from my N900. =P

Comment

• Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
                      The Linux kernel itself. Which also is governed by a benevolent dictator for life, a guy named Torvalds (you might've heard of him). Are you absolutely certain you're judging PulseAudio on its own merits and not on the person (Poettering)?
                      I don't get your point since i didn't criticize a person but more of a principle and i don't think poettering is involved in PA any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X