No announcement yet.

PulseAudio 9.0 Released With Many Audio Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very high bit/sample rates are not there for the human to hear, but to increase the density of information the moment you try to pass the sound through a model. I can assure you that you can clearly distinguish the difference between a 16bit/44khz dsp and a 24bit/96khz one if they are used, as an example, for guitar effects modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
      -snip-for-brevity-
      For those wondering, it's a facepalm ascii art fucked up by the forum's text formatting.
      Please use code tags next time to avoid fucking up ascii art plz.

EDIT: scratch that, just tried. CODE tags manage to fuck up ascii art even worse. What a pile of garbage you are, vBullettin, even fucking facebook renders this ascii art in a decent way.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 23 June 2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        What a pile of garbage you are, vBullettin
        Something we agree on; I had not thought it possible.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          Very high bit/sample rates are not there for the human to hear, but to increase the density of information the moment you try to pass the sound through a model. I can assure you that you can clearly distinguish the difference between a 16bit/44khz dsp and a 24bit/96khz one if they are used, as an example, for guitar effects modeling.
          This subject of audio reproduction quality is far more complex than the technicalities involved. Audiophiles, almost all of them, are deaf-retard people, and even if they do listen a difference (or not) due to some kind of change at the signal patch were complete irrelevant (audio-quality-wise), since they do not know how music/sound is in real life.

Most of the products on "high end market" are purely crap sounding devices, or simple scams, because they fail in create something even near a real life reproduction they claim to do. They may offer less noise, "blacker blacks" etcetera. or ever "quantum leaps" but complete fail on the primary objective of the "Hi Fidelity" hobby.

IMO, does not matter if a product cost 100 or 100.000, and if it use copper, silver or conductive concrete at the signal patch, the price tag is just a market thing (and can always be worked if you know hot the market works). The point IS if the product make what it is suppose to do or not, and almost all of them do not.

If someone is pursuing some kind of high fidelity in audio, or have advanced interests on it, he/her should know at minimum how (i.e.) a cello sound in real life before making any kind of statement about the quality reproduction of XYZ product of that instrument, and the majority of the audiophiles do not have intellectual capabilities to do that ever if they do listen to someone playing that instrument very often.

We always hear audiophiles talking about "tight bass" and "faster bass" as the best bass reproduction or something to pursuit for the best hi-fi reproduction, when the real life bass but electronic music (what ironically rarely is heard on equipments that go lower than 60 Hz), is not tight neither fast - at least not in all octaves.

The only way to archive a real life bass reproduction is dividing the three lower octaves on three different parts and have separated amplifiers feeding each one with the right load - so, there is a need of custom made amplifiers at least, and not buy something pre-cooked.

Making a complex subject simple, the bass articulation should be made by the upper-bass, the mid-bass should be a little slower, and become "slow" at sub-infra-bass. But to integrate and archive it one need to do a lot of "observation" and have ears.

Before an "audiophile" be capable of at least to understand how music/sound is, does not matter if the recording was made analog, 16bit/44Khz or 65656bit/8769857Khz, if it will change the result or not. He/Her will not be capable to interpret it (the change), what may be, of course, for good or bad.

Another mistake everyone do, not just audiophiles, is if people hear lower 20 Hz or not. Frequencies lower than 20 Hz may not be heard but can easily be felt, but the only way to really understand and interpret it is being exposed to the big pipe organs for sometime. And to reproduce the recording later, one need to have the necessary capable equipment.

Most of the problems I find in digital audio reproduction is not related if it was recorded on this or that frequency or bit rate, but by "problems" created by the retard people recording it. I am still to find a better sounding DAC topology than a true R-2R 16bit/44Khz DAC, which can ever be made/modified to accept 24bit/192Khz input (but will still reproduce just 16bit/44Khz of course), what is good thing to try, if you "trust" your DAC, to partially avoid retard people doing retard things when down sampling the recording.

IMO, the point of old analog recordings tends to sound better than the moderns digital ones rely on the fact that in the past most of audio engineers was people whom really know their job, and on the today digital things any retard can be a "audio engineer", because it is too easy, simple and cheap to have a capable equipment.

PS. of course pro audio is a complete different subject, with very different objectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Because i should be able to and alsa is a maintained alternative.
            ALSA is not an alternative to Pulse Audio, they are two separate layers.
            ALSA is low level and is concerned with managing the sound card and feeding it raw data, while Pulse Audio is supposed to do all the software mixing and volume control stuff beforehand and forward that to ALSA.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Not if, it is, see ubuntu pulseaudio bugs. For gamers it is a horrible piece of software, some games have problems with, some game require it. Anyway pulseaudio takes sever % of your cpu time while gstreamer and alsa takes 0, see top.
            Just because Linux audio is a mess, and developers came up with various things to work around that, does not make ALSA the appropriate API for game audio. The very reason why things break left and right is because of lack of coming up with "One true way" to do audio stuff. Once developers actually learn how to use PA, and stop using ALSA instead things will start to work like they should. To draw an analogy, imagine game devs using Gallium 3D directly for graphics and skipping all the higher level APIs, and then complain how that's how it's supposed to be because current OpenGL implementation has bugs, and not everything is supported. And yes, OpenGL incurs further CPU usage overhead, compared to going lower level. But OpenGL for graphics is alright, and PA for audio is the devil, right?

Gstreamer has no business being mentioned here since it does something entirely different from both ALSA and PA.

And yes, I've registered just for this.

Comment

Yeah, sorry for that. Googling for solutions is so critical for my job that I can't help the urge to google any question I don't know the answer of.
              Yeah, you should be sorry.
              We like to exercise purely speculation-based knowledge around these parts
              What's the idea? Trying to accidently provide us with accurate information?!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
                Cars have been hacked before with potentially life threatening consequences.
                At least in my car (Chevrolet Spark) the bluetooth connection mainly serves as a way to listen to music stored on my smartphone and to enable hands-free communication.
                In order to make my car even remotely crackable in a potentially life threatening way I'd probably need to add a hardware module or two.

Well, given how exceedingly hazardous working outside is going to be within the next few years it wouldn't hurt to dwell inside.
                Hazardous compared to what? Risking my health by sitting inside all day long, with little activity, almost no natural lighting, a limited supply of fresh air (the new office I'm moving to next month won't even have windows -- to add insult to injury, it will have Windows though) and the kind of bright, white sterility that will make one go blind over the long term?

I think I'd rather sit outside during a possible nuclear annihilation than spend the rest of my life in a bunker.

I guess my username was an obvious hint as well (totally random, not leading back to me in real life in any way). I have my reasons. You have yours. Good luck, have fun though.
                Nicely done. But to be honest, do you think you could identify me based on my username?
                Do you think you could say "Ah! unixfan2001! It's that guy who switched all his systems to something UNIX-like in 2001. No one else could've possibly done that in 2001, which makes him so unique and recognisable", 'cept perhaps as an attempt at sarcasm?

Good luck, have fun!
                Thank you! I certainly will.

Comment

No, I don't. People like you that like to believe people can change are part of the problem. Technology can and does change, people (taken as a whole) does not. The percentage of people that knows how to use their brain and isn't just a big child is pretty damn low and has always been such.

If you want to help people, focus your efforts on making/marketing/selling better nanny technology for them, don't try to teach them to use anything more complex than a stick, nor warn them of any pending danger as they won't leave their cool toys until they get hurt.
                  I did change a lot in the past few years. As did my political stance (from far-right EU hater to far-left radical to moderate pragmatist). But I can and will acknowledge that I'm part of a small minority.

The Brexit shit will (if it hasn't already) prove this to be true beyond any reasonable doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    The Brexit shit will (if it hasn't already) prove this to be true beyond any reasonable doubt.
                    It was tight (52% vs 48%), but brexit is now official.

Brace yourself, major economic recession inbound for UK due to retarded populistic decision.

The positive side is that it was tight. The amount of non-retards is higher than expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      No, I don't. People like you that like to believe people can change are part of the problem. Technology can and does change, people (taken as a whole) does not. The percentage of people that knows how to use their brain and isn't just a big child is pretty damn low and has always been such.

If you want to help people, focus your efforts on making/marketing/selling better nanny technology for them, don't try to teach them to use anything more complex than a stick, nor warn them of any pending danger as they won't leave their cool toys until they get hurt.
                      That is the actual reality of true life.

I always said that Apple succeed because they test all their products on monkeys. If a monkey can use it then they launch the production and marketing powa.

Just think about it : candy douche saga is the most played game in the world. Point.

Comment

Working...
                      X