PulseAudio 9.0 Released With Many Audio Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You can use irda for that few years ago. There is a little less data handling in keyboard usage than in audio that is the main topic of this discussion. Well made tablets do have usb connectors and I would use that because of I do not like batteries.
    Aside of the fact that drivers for it are abysmal on every system (even Windows) and it isn't too widespread in consumer electronics anyways, irDA isn't even comparable to Bluetooth. The two serve entirely different purposes.

If my goal is to output music from the smartphone stored in the back of my car to the playback device in front of it, a line of sight connection is inherently the wrong tool for the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      It was tight (52% vs 48%), but brexit is now official.

Brace yourself, major economic recession inbound for UK due to retarded populistic decision.

The positive side is that it was tight. The amount of non-retards is higher than expected.
      Personally, I think the only positive result out of this is that we can now officially ban Nigel "Pants shitting traitor monkey" Farage from entering the continent.

Comment

• Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Personally, I think the only positive result out of this is that we can now officially ban Nigel "Pants shitting traitor monkey" Farage from entering the continent.
        We could also take this chance to rework the bureaucracy in Bruxelles. But instead, Germany and France will grab the opportunity to appease Putin unopposed now.

Comment

• Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
          WTF:
          from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

If I'm remembering signal processing right, you need twice the highest frequency in the signal as the sampling rate to perfectly capture a signal.
          So I think we should be good at 56kHz but it looks like there are some developers in the team with pet bottlenose dolphins
          This is not for single signal use, it's for mixing. When you are mixing two signals with different sampling rates, you need to super sample both of them, then mix, then down sample.
          In that context, supporting high sample rate in the pipes is useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            It was tight (52% vs 48%), but brexit is now official.

Brace yourself, major economic recession inbound for UK due to retarded populistic decision.

The positive side is that it was tight. The amount of non-retards is higher than expected.
            And how is this going to affect Linux kernel development ? Over to our Helsinki studio to get a quote from Linux kernel head honcho and well known tourettes sufferer, Linus Torvalds:

F**K off, who cares ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
              And how is this going to affect Linux kernel development ?
              And how is this post relevant to the brexit OT?

Comment

My car player has sdcard and usb ports, using these: driving is safer.
                You never had a car accident, did you?
                When I ran down a cliff a few months ago I was glad I didn't have any more gear stacked in the front of my car. Not only because it's expensive to replace but also because having one navigation system hit my forehead was more than enough for me.

Comment

Every one wants to have all cpu resources for games, so wasting cpu cycles for pulseaudio and bluetooth (and for hmdi audio too) is stupid.
                  In a world where games seldom use more than a couple CPU cores, that is not true.
                  And when your 4-threads+ CPU is at 100%, you won't notice a few cycles stolen by background services (which are lot even without pulseaudio and BT).

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

For some random short time connection bluetooth is ok, but using everywhere and all the time is stupid and waste of batteries.
                  That was never the point (you should know, you brought this up). The point was whether BT audio support is needed at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    That is the actual reality of true life.
                    Only because people like you and starship are too rigid and too inflexible to see past your own extremely limited perception of how things actually are. Obviously people are not going to change if you do not challenge them to change, if you do not allow them to change. Well, duh. And the two of you thought you were on to some grand clue that escaped others, like me?

How little the two of you actually know. And how exceedingly conditioned the two of you are. Good little cogs in the machine. Well, it's not your fault, I suppose. Not your fault that you were forced into that role at least. It is your own fault, your own responsibility for not breaking free though.

Comment

• Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                      Very high bit/sample rates are not there for the human to hear, but to increase the density of information the moment you try to pass the sound through a model. I can assure you that you can clearly distinguish the difference between a 16bit/44khz dsp and a 24bit/96khz one if they are used, as an example, for guitar effects modeling.
                      This is all very nice but we talk here about 384 kHz in a consumer grade audio server not about sound effects for production at 24bit/96khz or oscilloscopes.

If I would want to build a oscilloscope with my sound card, I would prefer to get as low in the stack as possible and would only interact with pulse to tell it - hand off!

The only thing that made some sense is that some strange cases of multi channel audio encode as stereo with a crazy sample rate.
                      The other two things on the release notes look to me a bit like nice to have but nearly nobody will care or know about it.
                      The first thing sounds to me like: songs for dolphins.
                      While the second thing is like: I need better hardware - my dolphin doesn't understand the lyrics.

Originally posted by alexcortes View Post
                      Another mistake everyone do, not just audiophiles, is if people hear lower 20 Hz or not. Frequencies lower than 20 Hz may not be heard but can easily be felt, but the only way to really understand and interpret it is being exposed to the big pipe organs for sometime. And to reproduce the recording later, one need to have the necessary capable equipment.
                      This is a major point I like about good recordings and equipment. As far as I know the signal is in there or could be in there if the microphones did pick it up and nobody killed it in the processing. Also your point about knowing how the real thing sounds is well taken as I play an unusual instrument my self and a lot of recordings don't sound right and no kind of playback chain can ever fix this.

PS: at 384 kHz there is still room in there for oversampling, so that your dolphin gets the best possible experience!

Comment

Working...
                      X