Google Play Along With All Android Apps Are Coming To Chrome OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    "All" android apps? Only x86 ones will work without a VM. I don't think those are even too common, are they?
    The new android compiles apps already, they probably just adapted it to compiled x86. So there is no VM needed.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
      "All" android apps? Only x86 ones will work without a VM. I don't think those are even too common, are they?

Don't remember where I read it but apparently 75% of android apps already have x86 binaries made. The other 25% will use the translation method mentioned in another post here.

EDIT: Found it. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...ere-expecting/
      Last edited by Doodzor; 19 May 2016, 05:42 PM.

Comment

How many years has Google been talking about this now? I'm so sick of that despicable company and their nonstop lying. Specific hardware, blah blah blah, quick - everyone upgrade. And then a couple years from now they'll complain it's not working right and they're bored and just dump the entire project. The hell with Google.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Personally, I'd rather see a separate linux-compatible binary that can do this. If plain Linux can run Android apps without a VM, that opens a lot of doors for the Linux community. Might even help with Android development.
          You mean like shashlik ? That's what I set my hopes for.

The main show-stopper is that android require a bunch of services and inter-process communication for applications to talk to each-o-other. As explained in the ars link above, for ChromeOS google has done the necessary plumbing for Android App to communicate with facilities in ChromeOS.

To get it as a generic standalone Linux solution, one would need to provide such facilities.

Shashlik is doing the same but tapping into Qt/KDE to provide the necessary facilities.
          Last edited by DrYak; 20 May 2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Yep. Google should just buy RemixOS and make it so that Android works good as a Laptop/Desktop OS.
            So... you want google to pay lots of money to buy a shitty HACK implementation of something **THEY ALREADY HAVE**? Why? Let chinese crapmix fester in their own binary vomit.

Comment

Pretty awesome

Comment

Hmmmm..maybe not just yet. LoL

Comment

Working...
                X