Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Play Along With All Android Apps Are Coming To Chrome OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    "All" android apps? Only x86 ones will work without a VM. I don't think those are even too common, are they?
    The new android compiles apps already, they probably just adapted it to compiled x86. So there is no VM needed.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
      "All" android apps? Only x86 ones will work without a VM. I don't think those are even too common, are they?

      Don't remember where I read it but apparently 75% of android apps already have x86 binaries made. The other 25% will use the translation method mentioned in another post here.

      EDIT: Found it. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...ere-expecting/
      Last edited by Doodzor; 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM.

      Comment


      • #13
        How many years has Google been talking about this now? I'm so sick of that despicable company and their nonstop lying. Specific hardware, blah blah blah, quick - everyone upgrade. And then a couple years from now they'll complain it's not working right and they're bored and just dump the entire project. The hell with Google.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Personally, I'd rather see a separate linux-compatible binary that can do this. If plain Linux can run Android apps without a VM, that opens a lot of doors for the Linux community. Might even help with Android development.
          You mean like shashlik ? That's what I set my hopes for.

          The main show-stopper is that android require a bunch of services and inter-process communication for applications to talk to each-o-other. As explained in the ars link above, for ChromeOS google has done the necessary plumbing for Android App to communicate with facilities in ChromeOS.

          To get it as a generic standalone Linux solution, one would need to provide such facilities.

          Shashlik is doing the same but tapping into Qt/KDE to provide the necessary facilities.
          Last edited by DrYak; 05-20-2016, 08:26 AM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

            Yep. Google should just buy RemixOS and make it so that Android works good as a Laptop/Desktop OS.
            So... you want google to pay lots of money to buy a shitty HACK implementation of something **THEY ALREADY HAVE**? Why? Let chinese crapmix fester in their own binary vomit.

            Comment


            • #16
              This is absolutely a very great news for Chrome. Adding Google play exactly makes it exciting again for Chrome. This is a big step and a good decision for Google to unite two operating system. But others suggestion is to buy the new and latest laptop model for a greater experience.

              Comment


              • #17
                Pretty awesome

                Comment


                • #18
                  Hmmmm..maybe not just yet. LoL

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X