Ubuntu Is Deprecating fglrx (Catalyst) In 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

Ok, this sounds like actually valid issue. I know C++ API issues with post GCC 4.9. DIdn't know Steam got bitten by it. I would go with Steam Runtime overriding usage of libstdc++ if that's possible. Is that fixable that way?

No big relation with Mesa capabilities, but I see what you mean by pointing this out.
    Not possible if distro libstdc++ is newer, only if it's older

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
      That's been in Mesa since OpenGL 3.2, which was reached for most drivers in 2013...
      In mesa sources I see:
      "<!-- 47. GL_ARB_geometry_shader4. There are no intentions to implement this extension -->"

Also glew reports us that this extension is not available.

Comment

Originally posted by Taran'li Maren View Post
        I fully expect that if AMD ever releases an fglrx driver that supports >3.19 kernels, it will be the last such upgrade.
        Maybe the fglrx driver released by AMD can not compile with kernels > 3.19, but on Gentoo, they have a patch set that allows it to run the 15.12 driver with linux 4.4.3-gentoo. I am stil at xorg-server 1.17.4 though.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Well, the main problem is Steam runtime's retarded bundling of libstdc++. It works well if you run Steam on anything older than the Ubuntu version they target but if your libstdc++ is too new, tough luck. Debian stable + nVidia proprietary driver fits current Steam deployment scheme the best, probably
          Sounds like 16.04 LTS should be safe then, as it is based on Debian 8 mostly, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by deve View Post

In mesa sources I see:
            "<!-- 47. GL_ARB_geometry_shader4. There are no intentions to implement this extension -->"

It is also not part of spec, is it?

Comment

In mesa sources I see:

I'm not sure,I might say something stupid, but it might be implemented in LLVM for radeonsi.

Comment

In mesa sources I see:

I think they haven't implemented it, since they already have geometry shaders in core OpenGL 3.2, which offers the same functionality at least. So why don't you just use core geometry shaders?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  R600 and RadeonSI should be the default but FGLRX shouldn't be deprecated until the FOSS drivers have parity with the proprietary ones. In many cases, FGLRX is still faster and also supports OpenGL 4.5. In my experience, FGLRX is also more stable than R600 with some games. Games like Saints Row 4 will cause R600 git w/ OGL 4.1 support to hard lock the system and often with strange screen artifacts while it runs okay with FGLRX.
                  deprecated doesn't mean forbidden.

why are you people complaining? you'll be able to install fglrx just fine...

Comment

I am sure someone will package fglrx anyway in an external PPA for those who need it. Still a strange decision, even though if you plan on playing games on Linux you should switch to Nvidia, AMD drivers dont give good performance in comparison at all. Maybe if the users yell loud enough they will return fglrx once it supports X.org 1.18 that is in Xenial Xerus.

Comment

Heyyo,

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
                      what if you are a gamer and want to use steam? ubuntu team think of that ??
                      open source performance are far far beyond the amd crimson . why not let the user choose in the installation if he want amd crimson or open source driver?? that the best solution !!!! extremely poor ergonomics
                      Well for gamers wanting fglrx? You'll have to get .deb installers and stuff or use a PPA that has the fglrx crimson drivers setup properly. It just won't be directly available from Ubuntu is all. Eventually in an update or three amdgpu will surpass fglrx and it'll be worth it, just not yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X