Microsoft Is Now Part Of The Eclipse Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    Isn't Monodevelop based on Eclipse? That would make sense.

No. MonoDevelop is *heavily* forked from SharpDevelop, but has nothing to do with Eclipse.

Comment

Originally posted by Indomitable View Post

MonoDevelop is not a fork of any project. It is written from scratch. And by the way there are TFS plugins for MonoDevelop, the thing is that nobody is using TFS for version control anymore. Most of the companies switched to GIT TFS backend for version control.

About the topic: Microsoft want to sell Azure, maybe they have a plan to create a C#/ASP.NET Core addin for Eclipse so developers can develop ASP.NET Core applications on Linux and Mac and then deploy to Azure. The future will show, but in all situation this means improving the Eclipse code base.

One thing I'm noticing that there are many haters and trolls in this forum. Why people can not realize that Microsoft developing applications for Linux is a good thing? This means a lot of developers and testers working on Linux, finding and fixing bugs, contributing to Linux kernel and other open source projects. Microsoft has vast amount of very good paid developers, who don't work in theirs mother basement and trying to do better fork of some project.
      I think you answered your own question.
      They don't like them because they aren't anti-social pricks "working" from their mother's basement("work" here referring to unmaintained forks -- which only came about because they found a typo in the README.md -- and busy trolling on forums).

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
        It will definitely be a while before Microsoft is trusted in the open source community.
        We shall see how the Linux port of SQL Server fares, and if they want to earn the trust of the opensource community they should do more than half-hearted attempts.

Comment

""At Microsoft, our developer mission is to deliver experiences that empower any developer, building any application, on any OS. And this mission requires us to be open, flexible, and interoperable: to meet developers and development teams where they are, and provide tools, services and platforms that help them take ideas into production..." well well well - same old waffle methinks

Comment

Originally posted by Indomitable View Post

MonoDevelop is not a fork of any project. It is written from scratch. And by the way there are TFS plugins for MonoDevelop, the thing is that nobody is using TFS for version control anymore. Most of the companies switched to GIT TFS backend for version control.

About the topic: Microsoft want to sell Azure, maybe they have a plan to create a C#/ASP.NET Core addin for Eclipse so developers can develop ASP.NET Core applications on Linux and Mac and then deploy to Azure. The future will show, but in all situation this means improving the Eclipse code base.

One thing I'm noticing that there are many haters and trolls in this forum. Why people can not realize that Microsoft developing applications for Linux is a good thing? This means a lot of developers and testers working on Linux, finding and fixing bugs, contributing to Linux kernel and other open source projects. Microsoft has vast amount of very good paid developers, who don't work in theirs mother basement and trying to do better fork of some project.
            As far as I know, there is one plugin for MonoDevelop which allows using TFS, it's the one you wrote! Even though I appreciate your work, it is a pitty it is no longer maintained and hence no longer compatible with the newest versions of MonoDevelop. If it was my own choice however we wouldn't be needing the plugin either, and use GIT instead.

Comment

Working...
            X