Microsoft Is Now Part Of The Eclipse Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it!

In his mind, Balmer is probably committing suicide twice a day (when he doesn't enjoy his mountain of cash, that is) and all the hardcore "Micro$oft is the debil!!!" fanboys are all dead inside now, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      Isn't Monodevelop based on Eclipse? That would make sense.
      I don't think so, I believe it is a fork of something else. But there is a TFS plugin for Eclipse, while monodevelop lacks such support.

Comment

I occasionally open up MS related forum topics and I'm never disappointed by the flame wars ignited by such news articles. Not one topic goes by without a "MS sucks" or "embrace and extinguish"... as if MS could take down the OSS community or if it would benefit MS if they hurt Eclipse.

I for one using Windows as a desktop, but linux as the target platform of my developments, greatly welcome MS lowering the barriers and doing stuff like OpenSSH inside PowerShell, MSBuild on linux, embracing CMake and what not. Being a linux sysadmin too, I do feel that PowerShell would be a great addition to linux, if people could just for one second lay down their weapons/prejudice and take things for what they are.

I totally agree: credit must be paid where it's due.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Imagine Java on .NET or C# on Java.
          There's already Java on .NET, it's called J# and it's largely abandoned now, mostly because C# was designed from its very beginning to be a Java clone. In fact, Microsoft had already tried to harm Java growth some years before with a similar uncompatible language called Visual J++. Fortunately, a court put that to an end while it was still at the "extend" phase of Microsoft's strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post

Written out without abbrevations: rest in peace in peace Eclipse. Does not compute.
            That's what happens when get in bed with Microsoft

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
              Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Comment

/me keeps on coding fancy free in Emacs, no cares in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  MS has been a Linux kernel contributor for years (hyperV support and other things).
                  And by "other things" you mean "nothing else" right? Because it's just Hyper-V really.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffrey View Post
                    I don't think so, I believe it is a fork of something else. But there is a TFS plugin for Eclipse, while monodevelop lacks such support.
                    MonoDevelop is not a fork of any project. It is written from scratch. And by the way there are TFS plugins for MonoDevelop, the thing is that nobody is using TFS for version control anymore. Most of the companies switched to GIT TFS backend for version control.

About the topic: Microsoft want to sell Azure, maybe they have a plan to create a C#/ASP.NET Core addin for Eclipse so developers can develop ASP.NET Core applications on Linux and Mac and then deploy to Azure. The future will show, but in all situation this means improving the Eclipse code base.

One thing I'm noticing that there are many haters and trolls in this forum. Why people can not realize that Microsoft developing applications for Linux is a good thing? This means a lot of developers and testers working on Linux, finding and fixing bugs, contributing to Linux kernel and other open source projects. Microsoft has vast amount of very good paid developers, who don't work in theirs mother basement and trying to do better fork of some project.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I wonder what interest they have in Eclipse Foundation and what this will lead to. How they will affect the project, what they will do, and in which way they will contribute.

Imagine Java on .NET or C# on Java.
                      Code:
                      directhex@flame:/tmp$ cat HelloWorld.java 
                      public class HelloWorld {

public static void main(String[] args) {
                              // Prints "Hello, World" to the terminal window.
                              System.out.println("Hello, World");
                          }

}
                      directhex@flame:/tmp$ javac HelloWorld.java 
                      directhex@flame:/tmp$ ikvmc HelloWorld.class 
                      IKVM.NET Compiler version 8.1.5717.0
                      Copyright (C) 2002-2015 Jeroen Frijters
                      http://www.ikvm.net/

note IKVMC0001: Found main method in class "HelloWorld"
                      note IKVMC0002: Output file is "HelloWorld.exe"
                      directhex@flame:/tmp$ mono HelloWorld.exe 
                      Hello, World