No announcement yet.

Jolla Lays Off "A Big Part" Of Its Personnel, Goes For Debt Restructuring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well darn. I hope things get better soon.
    Also, I certainly have no regrets. I needed a new phone to replace my old one whose screen got cracked; my requirements were the ability to send and receive calls and SMS messages, play audio, act as an alarm clock and have the ability to run an occasional required app. From the options I chose the most open one, and I'm quite happy with that. They still keep updating it, even though it's been a long while since the release, and it's not locked down. The only real (yet relatively small) problem with it is the hardware.

Comment

I really hope that they will manage to get out of their debt, I love my jolla phoen, each update brings me a new feature that I can't find on any other phone or not implemented as well as in sailfish os.
      The swipe based interface really makes everthing faster and their approche to widget-like applications is awesome :'(

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
        I like the software in Jolla, there is everything I need and more. What I don't like is that the Jolla phone is seriously underpowered device. It is sluggish like hell when compared to powerful Android devices.
        Then you must have a different phone than I. Native sailfish apps run like a charm, and are quite responsive, at least they run better than anything I've seen on Android.
        Android apps are a different topic. They indeed run sluggish like hell, but I wouldn't count that, as the Jolla phone was designed with Sailfish Qt Quick apps in mind, not the whole Android Java runtime...

Comment

To me it seems that their business strategy might have been wrong. I would have opened up the OS to anyone that wants to put it on their phones and then made money from the app store or something like that.
          Not sure why they wanted to do their own hardware, it added nothing special and that second half thingy never really took off. They would have probably been better off just offering Sailfish on some Chinese phone.
          I just wish the embedded world would move in the direction of the PCs and laptops where you can just install your OS of choice , Windows, Linux, FreeBSD or even OS X

Comment

making another android clone was a bad move

Comment

It's nothing like an Android clone. It's fully-fledged GNU/Linux (Mer) with systemd and Qt UX running on Wayland. There are, unfortunately, a small number of non-OSS parts including the UX and Android runtime. Lipstick could be used as a drop-in replacement, and the Android runtime is entirely optional. Disclaimer: As it happens I use a Jolla phone too, and also committed money to the tablet IGG. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                It's nothing like an Android clone. It's fully-fledged GNU/Linux (Mer) with systemd and Qt UX running on Wayland. There are, unfortunately, a small number of non-OSS parts including the UX and Android runtime. Lipstick could be used as a drop-in replacement, and the Android runtime is entirely optional. Disclaimer: As it happens I use a Jolla phone too, and also committed money to the tablet IGG. :-(

it looks like android, it's what i mean

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                  To me it seems that their business strategy might have been wrong. I would have opened up the OS to anyone that wants to put it on their phones and then made money from the app store or something like that.
                  Not sure why they wanted to do their own hardware, it added nothing special and that second half thingy never really took off. They would have probably been better off just offering Sailfish on some Chinese phone.
                  I just wish the embedded world would move in the direction of the PCs and laptops where you can just install your OS of choice , Windows, Linux, FreeBSD or even OS X
                  That is exactly what Canonical is doing with Ubuntu Touch, others make phones with it, BQ and Meizu currently, and they have plans for Indian made phones for Indian market as well, also via carriers once OS is considered ready for mass market. Jolla phone was expensive for what it offered when it comes to hardware. Selling existing Android devices with your OS cuts down costs dramatically. Plus Jolla has the branding problem, only hardcore geeks know about it, Ubuntu is much more widely known brand which gives you more pull in the industry, and especially with carriers, plus the whole ecosystem, desktop and server OS, Snappy Ubuntu Core for IoT and embedded devices, convergence etc. Still I hope Jolla survives, competition is a good thing in open source too.

Comment

Basically I think that Sailfish OS is not really important, but the base to run Linux on (former) Android devices with a binary only GFX driver is libhybris. The main dev works for Jolla. Even Ubuntu Phone needs that and most likely the KDE tablet in development.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

it looks like android, it's what i mean
                      As much as WIndows 10 looks like Haiku OS.

Comment

Working...
                      X