Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArthurBorsboom View Post
    Hi Michael,

I do not mind to pay for the use of your website, but I do mind to pay for this benchmarking.

What percentage of the articles on your website are actually using the results of all these benchmarks?

In my opinion, turn off all the automated benchmarking and perform only manual benchmarks when there is actually an interesting topic to report, as you do, once in a while.

Is saves you a lot cash, it saves the environment, and it saves you the time to complain about the costs of the electrical bill.
    Only a small percent of LinuxBenchmarking.com gets covered on Phoronix as it's own resource, etc. It will be much more beneficial in the long run.

When mentioning electrical usage, there are at least nice enough Phoronix readers that do help cover the costs and so far today made about $300 in tips for covering the electrical, so almost there, as usual when pointing out situations like this.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
      Are the non-benchmarking systems already virtualized ?
      What non benchmarking systems? There is the Phoromatic Server that runs on its own server and that's about it. And then my main production system where I do all my work, etc. The actual web servers are hosted down at a data center in Florida.
      Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig4545 View Post
        Michael, I hate to say it, as I like phoronix, but if it's not paying for itself, it's not viable and it's probably time to turn it off.
        I end up making ends meet, but it's still 80~100+ hour work weeks routinely after 11 years... Phoromatic/PTS is technically more profitable than Phoronix.com, but it's a balancing act always what to work on since they sort of go hand in hand.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Hi Michael, I check on Phoronix almost every day and I use adblock. Would it help if I enable ads even if I never click on them?! If so, sure I will enable that crap since you ask for it. If not then it is pointless for me to enable ads.
          I personally would not mind donating a bit to you and to prove it you now have $30 more than you had before I started to write this. I would not mind increasing the donation (and I hope other would participate too) if you can consider using your servers "idle" time (if you have any) to run projects like folding at home to help cure diseases. Any computer helps of course, but I am sure your farm there is a bit more punchy than most
          I am sure you yourself don't have much idle time, but have you considered using the heat generated from the benchmark farm for something? Perhaps you can save a few credits here and there

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I use about 600KWh/month (no AC usage), but maybe 1/3 of that is an 30-year-old freezer I need to replace with a more efficient & less reliable unit. Most of the rest is fridge, fans, PCs and a big-ass stereo power amp with high idle current.

Add in some A/C and you can get to 1000 KWh/mo pretty easily. Remember we don't have the ocean / gulf stream moderating our climate here, so our winters are winter-ier and summers are summer-ier.
            That's crazy man. We have two freezers, together 450 litres. It's huge. They consume 360 kWh PER YEAR. That's right, 30 kWh/month.

To illustrate, this is 300 litres. Even that is huge. We need the bigger freezer since a relative does hunting.
            https://www.rentacentre.com.au/wp-co...st-Freezer.png

I checked our fridge is 382l. It uses 116 kWh per year. That's 10 kWh/month.

So together I store > 800 litres of food in freezer and fridge and it's 40 kWh/month. How's that?

My server draws 100W 24/7 so that's 72 kWh. The dual socket Xeon workstation draws 40 kWh during the month.

No wonder there's climate change going on. Americans and their crappy old electric appliances.
            Last edited by caligula; 13 August 2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              Hi Michael, I check on Phoronix almost every day and I use adblock. Would it help if I enable ads even if I never click on them?! If so, sure I will enable that crap since you ask for it. If not then it is pointless for me to enable ads.
              I personally would not mind donating a bit to you and to prove it you now have $30 more than you had before I started to write this. I would not mind increasing the donation (and I hope other would participate too) if you can consider using your servers "idle" time (if you have any) to run projects like folding at home to help cure diseases. Any computer helps of course, but I am sure your farm there is a bit more punchy than most
              I am sure you yourself don't have much idle time, but have you considered using the heat generated from the benchmark farm for something? Perhaps you can save a few credits here and there
              Yes ads are paid simply if they load, not if you click.

Phoromatic automatically turns on/off system when needed for systems supporting WoL to conserve energy.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

If you can go an entire month without using the phrase "et cetra" or "etc", I will subscribe. It's honestly hard for me to take you're posts seriously when I see that used so frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I've looked into solar and not really worthwhile as would take too long before yielding a return.
                  How long ago did you look into it? The price per watt has fallen off a cliff since about 2007. Unless it was within the last year (two at most), you might want to get another quote.

Comment

In reality Michael is mining Bitcoins and just says it is for benchmarks, so we would come here and view ads more often - double profit :P

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post

How long ago did you look into it? The price per watt has fallen off a cliff since about 2007. Unless it was within the last year (two at most), you might want to get another quote.
                      Still too much of an upfront cost... Last I looked for a basic system the upfront cost would be 10~20k USD minimum, albeit tax deductible, but still don't have that extra money for upfront investment.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X