Our Dozens Of Linux Benchmark Systems Still Burning Around 3000 kWh A Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    No wonder there's climate change going on. Americans and their crappy old electric appliances.
    Perhaps I was not sufficiently clear. 200 KWh/month is 50 CDN, not USD
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yeah, although it was pretty energy efficient when I bought it. When you say "fridge+freezer" do you just mean a regular fridge with a small freezer section
      Yep! Relatively small. Not extremely small, but obviously too small for your use case.

Electricity costs have gone up a lot here recently now the local government is larding their accumulated debts onto our bills rather than saying "see how smart we are ? look at how low your bills are" and running up huge debts in off-the-budget crown corporations.
      Not sure if hiding debts in electricity bills is the best idea, but it's better than accumulating debts over a long time period.

Germany has very high electricity costs because there's a lot of government aid for renewable energy sources. And instead of increasing taxes for everyone, consumer electricity prices are forced to go up (by law, "Erneuerbare-Energien-Gesetz" / Renewable Energy Act) to pay for new solar power etc. I actually like that, we had an average of ~32% renewables in the power grid (in the first six months of 2015). It comes at a pretty high cost though? Prices may go down starting 2020 or so, because subsidies for each solar power installation end after 20 years and this all started in 2000. (Actually, prices are already going down since ~a year ago. I think that's just random fluctuation though.)

I would have expected the opposite since surface area relative to volume is lower for a large freezer than a small one.
      I agree. Strange!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Still too much of an upfront cost... Last I looked for a basic system the upfront cost would be 10~20k USD minimum, albeit tax deductible, but still don't have that extra money for upfront investment.

Michael have you calculated Tesla Powerwall ? This has a much lower upfront investment cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

For when finding out about any regressions, it's much easier to track down the change / bisect than every three days.
          It might be easier, but is it compelling? Greater resolution doesn't necessarily imply greater value.

Most people working on low-level time critical components will know themselves when something is slower or faster.

When things are combined for release candidates it might be good to compare benchmarks with previous release candidates. Perhaps any faster than that and you are just going to pick up the normal noise while people work on combining bits and pieces of a large project.

If you really must have all this data, consider generating benchmarks every N days, and if there is a regression, check out the previous N-1 days releases and generate the missing days data after-the-fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Praetor View Post
            If you can go an entire month without using the phrase "et cetra" or "etc", I will subscribe. It's honestly hard for me to take you're posts seriously when I see that used so frequently.
            Five char limit.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Electricty is reasonably cheap in America. Most people don't turn off their TV's and leave 100w light bulbs running all the time. It's probably not a good thing on the grand scheme of things, but I'd rather have cheap electricity than what you guys in Europe have to pay. You guys are getting raped. Plus a lot of people don't realize this, but more than half of the electricity generated gets lost in transmission, which Europeans pay for, while Americans don't. And then there's the stupidly high taxes Europeans have to pay on top all that.

The cost of living in Europe is redonkulious
              Yeah it's horrible living around here. I have to dry my tears with my electricity bill. I'd use my health and education bills too, if only I had some

You know that state budgets are closed circuits right? We pay electricity higher, but it doesn't mean the money disappears, it's just used for something else. And even if it's badly used, it won't be more wasted than leaving 100W light bulbs and TVs on all the time.

Comment

I live in a house with one other person and average kWh a month is 1730. I'm not even sure what is causing that exactly, and barely thought anything of it until this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post

Yeah it's horrible living around here. I have to dry my tears with my electricity bill. I'd use my health and education bills too, if only I had some

You know that state budgets are closed circuits right? We pay electricity higher, but it doesn't mean the money disappears, it's just used for something else. And even if it's badly used, it won't be more wasted than leaving 100W light bulbs and TVs on all the time.
                  Yeah, Americans in general terms need to do something about energy consumption. But whatever that ends up being it won't be due to american citizens stepping up to the challenge. I think a lot americans just don't care, or maybe it's just that they are ignorant, I'm not sure which. When energy saving becomes convenient and automated to the point where people don't have to think about it, that's when americans will start saving energy.

But then again on the other hand.... All people are humans and I can't imagine that Europeans are much different. That's why protectionism never works anywhere. That's why there has to be some kind of compromise between making energy available and discouraging energy consumption. I don't think americans or europeans have found a good balance yet.

Comment

The regression articles are what drew me too phoronix in the first place. Michael use to do lots of them. I've only subscribed for 2 of the years I've been visiting though, but I'll be keeping up my subscription every year.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah, Americans in general terms need to do something about energy consumption. But whatever that ends up being it won't be due to american citizens stepping up to the challenge. I think a lot americans just don't care, or maybe it's just that they are ignorant, I'm not sure which. When energy saving becomes convenient and automated to the point where people don't have to think about it, that's when americans will start saving energy.

But then again on the other hand.... All people are humans and I can't imagine that Europeans are much different. That's why protectionism never works anywhere. That's why there has to be some kind of compromise between making energy available and discouraging energy consumption. I don't think americans or europeans have found a good balance yet.
                      American energy consumption has actually been going down in recent years, and it's mistake to focus on residential consumption anyway. Industry is where most energy use/pollution comes from. And if you want to fix that, the place to focus is China, not the US.

Comment

Working...
                      X