No announcement yet.

Friction Building Around An Ubuntu Community Council Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see suggestions to rebase Kubuntu on Debian here. OK, KF5 is now in Experimental and it works. I went through a lot of work to rebase an OS that had been originally installed as Ubuntu Oneiric and kept up with Ubuntu alphas to Debian Unstable with things like kf5 pulled from experimental. The more I hear stories like this, the more I am glad I did. Even LinuxMint keeps a version based directly on Debian around for insurance.

Comment

I wouldn't stake Linux's future on Ubuntu, and I'm probably more inclined to be sympathetic to Jonathan Riddell's frustrations, but Mark Shuttleworth (or Linus Torvalds, or Steve Ballmer for that matter, who is no longer CEO of Microsoft or on its Board of Directors) shouldn't be subject to Godwin's law.

Comment

It looks like this isn't going to end any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
          I wouldn't stake Linux's future on Ubuntu, and I'm probably more inclined to be sympathetic to Jonathan Riddell's frustrations, but Mark Shuttleworth (or Linus Torvalds, or Steve Ballmer for that matter, who is no longer CEO of Microsoft or on its Board of Directors) shouldn't be subject to Godwin's law.
          Strawman much? who is comparing Shuttleworth to nazis?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Strawman much? who is comparing Shuttleworth to nazis?
            Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
            ...most supposedly benevolent dictatorships are anything but benevolent. Don't all dictators claim to be benevolent? What dictator hasn't claimed to be benevolent? Did not Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot claim to be benevolent and didn't large numbers of their fanboys mouth their propagandist drivel?
            There is a comparison being drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              It looks like this isn't going to end any time soon.
              http://jriddell.org/2015/05/26/reaff...buntu-council/
              To be honest, that's a good thing. Shuttleworth needs to learn he can't just do these kinds of political shenanigans and get away with it, and the Ubuntu CC needs to retract its libelous statements

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post

There is a comparison being drawn.
                Ah, I missed that, however he has a point. Shuttleworth is a self appointed dictator, who claims to be benevolent, and whose fanboys will defend him regardless of his actions, as has been shown plenty of times over the history of Ubuntu, and most recently with Mir. His point is that dictators aren't benevolent and Hitler was thrown in with Stalin and Pol Pot, as examples of leaders whose followers declared them benevolent, so no this doesn't apply for Godwin's Law, unless you want to say that references to Hitler or Nazis should never ever come up in any context.

Comment

no one will miss this guy, kubuntu is one of the worst kde distro out there

Comment

Hi!

I just wanted to say that KDE Plasma and Kubuntu work well and in a stable way in two computers that I manage, virtual machines, computers of some of my friends and two computers that manages an acquaintance of mine. Those are the places where I directly see Plasma and Kubuntu working.

There's a "Virtual machine of Kubuntu 14.04 i386 Desktop, stable version" on
                    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2...dfaGdJTUU/edit
                    so that anyone can conduct experiments on it.

I usually also employed a copy of it as a virtual machine and it works stably.

Using a virtual machine, we avoid the problems of drivers that need development, driver developments that need funding, companies that hide details of their hardware and so it hinders driver developments, etc.

About it, there is a README.txt on the same web address.

If anyone has any doubt, on this thread he can make questions. Greetings!

Comment

Shuttleworth is a self appointed dictator, who claims to be benevolent.
                      Yes, Shuttleworth is often referred to as "Self-Appointed Benevolent Dictator for Life". My feelings on the matter probably reflect, in part at least, Scott Kitterman's own, except much more dispassionately:

Originally posted by https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/i-think-i-may-be-done/ View Post
                      SABDFL created and funded both Canonical and Ubuntu. His sand box, his rules.
                      Ubuntu and its derivatives don't constitute my sandbox of choice (I do use Ubuntu sometimes, but most of my usage is with, and focus is on, other distributions). I have found Kubuntu and Linux Mint to be helpful in my personal life in migrating some friends and family to Linux, and both of these distributions have experienced some degree of friction with their Ubuntu progenitor at times.

Hitler was thrown in with Stalin and Pol Pot, as examples of leaders whose followers declared them benevolent, so no this doesn't apply for Godwin's Law
                      I read it as there being an implied comparison. Regardless, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, and their "fanboys" are superfluous, and are unneeded extremes. His post loses nothing by their exclusion, and gains nothing by their inclusion (if anything, I would argue that the post runs the risk of being disregarded because of their inclusion). I heard that Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot were really ahead of their time in software development though, but just couldn't work well with others, and they had bloodthirsty aspirations which got in the way of what could have been brilliant careers as programmers.

Comment

Working...
                      X