Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friction Building Around An Ubuntu Community Council Decision

Phoronix: Friction Building Around An Ubuntu Community Council Decision

The longtime leader of Kubuntu, Jonathan Riddell, appears to be out of any leadership position relating to Ubuntu for at least twelve months. This decision has caused some to criticize the Ubuntu Community Council for their decision made in relative private -- a decision that was also backed by Mark Shuttleworth...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CC-Controversy

I'm writing this from a Kubuntu 14.04 laptop, so my thanks to Jonathan Riddel for his excellent work. He has done great service for the Linux desktop community. I can not say the same for Canonical. One thing Canonical has got right though is their support for proprietary codecs. This is a necessary compromise. Also their support for closed source software on top of an open source operating system is something I very much endorse. I'd love to see Kubuntu get the support to become the flag ship desktop and end its reliance on Ubuntu.

Comment

This is really sad to hear. I thought Riddell did an awesome job given what he had to work with and Canonical's "bastard child" attitude towards Kubuntu. Jonathan was always helpful to me when answering my inquiries, and I liked the way he encouraged users to get upstream bugs fixed/reported upstream.

I don't know about the accusations, but I hope it's all a misunderstanding (and not a willful misunderstanding for political purposes). I think Ubuntu on the desktop will take a big hit if Jonathan and/or Scott are pushed out of the community, and Ubuntu needs more desktop focus IMO.

Comment

I wonder how much this has to do with Jonathan criticising Ubuntu for going down the Mir rather than Wayland route. He made it pretty clear that Kubuntu would use Wayland

Comment

How I wished Michael would have closed this thread instantly.

Inb4 10 pages of how Canonical is the devil and Ubuntu is basically closed source proprietary spyware and how they ruined world peace by developing Mir and Unity, without anyone knowing what the actual reasons are for this decision.

Comment

Well, I suggest rebasing it on debian and then renaming it so that it loses its association with Ubuntu. IMO if Canonical doesn't want that userbase then they don't deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I wonder how much this has to do with Jonathan criticising Ubuntu for going down the Mir rather than Wayland route. He made it pretty clear that Kubuntu would use Wayland
              Yeah, I hope that's not what it's all about. Using Wayland on Kwin as a default seemed like a sane choice to me given how much work Martin Gr??lin is putting into it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah, I hope that's not what it's all about. Using Wayland on Kwin as a default seemed like a sane choice to me given how much work Martin Gr??lin is putting into it.
                Mark is OK with anyone using Mir or Wayland. Is even in the repos now.

What he is not ok is with wasting energy and time on the DRAMA and such. It was all mentioned in the last keynote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IfgX-k7Hag

They're just asking for a temporary step down to another position because of the drama created till the waters finish calming, so we can all move forward from that phase. Is not like they are banning him or killing Kubuntu or imposing Mir or anything like that.

Comment

I could perhaps buy the Linux Desktop flagship distribution pushing its own GUI user interface, its own init system, (yes I know Canonical didn't create Upstart originally) and its own display server if they were focussed on making Linux Kernel Desktop the dominant desktop OS as opposed to the tiny minority position at the moment. Yes I could have even swallowed the spyware by default. High quality development needs revenue. But they are not. They are focussed on trying to sell phones. Windows 8 was the final straw that pushed me to leave Windows. It was a crystal clear message from Steve Balmer to me that we at Microsoft hold you, a long time windows user and some time .Net developer in utter contempt. Little did I know that Steve Balmer had got the idea of treating his desktop users with such utter contempt from Mark Shuttleworth.

By chance Linus Torvald's dictatorship in kernel development has worked out pretty well for us. Sometimes an individual taking a strong lead can be better than rule by committee. But most supposedly benevolent dictatorships are anything but benevolent. Don't all dictators claim to be benevolent? What dictator hasn't claimed to be benevolent? Did not Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot claim to be benevolent and didn't large numbers of their fanboys mouth their propagandist drivel?

Maybe we will need a strong minded, strongly opinionated leader to break out the Linux Desktop, but clearly Mark Shuttleworth is not that leader.
                  How I wished Michael would have closed this thread instantly.

Inb4 10 pages of how Canonical is the devil and Ubuntu is basically closed source proprietary spyware and how they ruined world peace by developing Mir and Unity, without anyone knowing what the actual reasons are for this decision.
                  Yes how dare anyone criticise the Dictator? Is not the Emperor entitled to grovelling subservience?
                  Last edited by Rich Oliver; 26 May 2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Just reading through this quote (the redacted sender):

I highly doubt I?d
                    make it 5 minutes into a hangout without crying, so I trust others on
                    the CC to pick up my slack there.

That sounds pretty severe to me, although I suppose some people are built very close to water.

Comment

Working...
                    X