No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Drops Below 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are so many reasons for people not to use Linux for gaming you could probably write an article. Since I'd like to avoid all the flame for criticizing the holy OS, I'll just agree with the guys the mentioned GTA V. That game alone is a good enough reason to switch to Windows gaming at least for a time. And to the guy that said that all Windows exclusive games are crap - congratulations, you just won the Ignorant Comment of the Year Award.

Comment

As both OS X and Linux numbers dropped, something happened on Windows...what could it be...so yeah, basically GTAV most likely scewed statistics. There has been a bit of new releases for Windows on Steam worth playing so that alone can increase people logging in on Steam and playing games.

I personally think we have to find better metrics to measure size of Linux gaming community.

Comment

Gaming is not ready for linux, linux is not ready for gaming.

Linux has to implement directX making playable directly games without any porting, has to light its systems, has to remove useless wrappers and useless graphical server has to become essential, reliable, efficient, and light as XP is. Linux should try a way to check specifications and use directly hardware by its own features in the softwares taking advantage from SSE2 and hardware acceleration.

Comment

As usual: Most of the comments are completely ridiculous.

(a) Steam has NO problem on 64 Bit platforms.
          (b) "rigid dependencies"? Please. I do have maybe 200 titles in my Steam library (they all started), 50 of which I play at least every now and then (they all work).

etc.

However: GTA V - the 3rd most played title on Steam could definitely account for the drop on Linux and OSX platforms.

Top selling and top played games across Steam

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
            As usual: Most of the comments are completely ridiculous.

(a) Steam has NO problem on 64 Bit platforms.
            (b) "rigid dependencies"? Please. I do have maybe 200 titles in my Steam library (they all started), 50 of which I play at least every now and then (they all work).

etc.

However: GTA V - the 3rd most played title on Steam could definitely account for the drop on Linux and OSX platforms.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats
            So question is: poor performance comparing microsoft systems?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Gaming is not ready for linux, linux is not ready for gaming.

Linux has to implement directX making playable directly games without any porting, has to light its systems, has to remove useless wrappers and useless graphical server has to become essential, reliable, efficient, and light as XP is. Linux should try a way to check specifications and use directly hardware by its own features in the softwares taking advantage from SSE2 and hardware acceleration.
              Trolling much? Or you just don't know?

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                Trolling much? Or you just don't know?
                No it's simple discussion are you sectarian?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  The reasons are simple really:
                  1. Most Linux users probably aren't gamers (many are, but not a majority)
                  2. Those that are have probably either (A) Gotten over the novelty of Steam on Linux and went back to their Windows VMs/Dualboot where shit works, (B) beaten all of the games they've bought so far and haven't found any new ones to play, or (C) some combo of the two
                  1.b) The weather started to be nice and they started to do outside activities ;D

Comment

I think we can safely assume Linux gaming community grows, not shrinks. Therefore maybe it would be better just stop follow artificial percentages and think is it worth to invest or care about, but just do it.

You know, stop caring to play with winning team. You don't. Most of you are geeks using strange, different OS. These percentages does nothing than rattle cages for some people - then you get "Linux has gaming potential" vs. "No, it's not" team and no any constructive discussion done.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                      So question is: poor performance comparing microsoft systems?
                      Can't say. Since I only work and play on an Ubuntu machine. My current favourite is War Thunder - and this runs extremely smooth (60FPS+ with practically all settings maxed on a GTX660).

Comment

Working...
                      X