Red Hat Joins Khronos, The Group Behind OpenGL & Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
    My question is, why would Red Hat want some input on this matter at all? What does graphics ability have to do with Red Hat's fundamental competencies?
    Well, they spend a lot of money on drivers already in an attempt to make sure their OS can use the hardware you want to run it on.

They also have an interest in virtualization - getting 3D accelerated in guest OS's isn't an easy task, and something there's a lot of money in if you can do it well. I know Dave Arlie has been working on-and-off on that.

It's important to note that a Khronos membership is pretty cheap. Only $15,000 a year for a "Contributor". That's basically nothing compared to the salaries they are paying their graphics developers, so this isn't some big investment.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 17 April 2015, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I thought OpenGL development was complete and now Khronos is only developing Vulkan.
      No, Khronos has said repeatedly they plan on continuing development of OpenGL. Vulkan was made specifically for video game purposes and was a big demand by graphic engine developers. OpenGL will still be used in areas like CAD and general 3D modeling such as in Blender. Keeping OpenGL for those kinds of applications is important for future backwards compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
        No, Khronos has said repeatedly they plan on continuing development of OpenGL. Vulkan was made specifically for video game purposes and was a big demand by graphic engine developers. OpenGL will still be used in areas like CAD and general 3D modeling such as in Blender. Keeping OpenGL for those kinds of applications is important for future backwards compatibility.
        I would guess OpenGL to be now in maintenance mode, meaning small fixes would go in, but nothing major anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          I would guess OpenGL to be now in maintenance mode, meaning small fixes would go in, but nothing major anymore.
          I'd be shocked if they don't add an extension which allows OpenGL to accept SPIR-V shaders instead of GLSL. Depending on your definition, that could be a pretty major change, or a minor one.

Comment

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
            My question is, why would Red Hat want some input on this matter at all? What does graphics ability have to do with Red Hat's fundamental competencies?
            It's obvious. Have you heard some open source technology Red Hat is not involved? No! They are trying to embrace everything to linuxisms, i mean, monopolization of open source world.
            I thought open source was about descentralization, community, contribution...not about Red Hat everywhere.
            I really don't trust in this company.

Comment

Originally posted by Dharc View Post
              It's obvious. Have you heard some open source technology Red Hat is not involved? No! They are trying to embrace everything to linuxisms, i mean, monopolization of open source world.
              I thought open source was about descentralization, community, contribution...not about Red Hat everywhere.
              I really don't trust in this company.
              Ah, the conspiracy theorists again. Open source is all about having the source code available, that is its defining feature (on would think quite obvious, when you see the name "open source"). That does not automatically imply that open source software must have an open development model or must be centered about a community.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                Ah, the conspiracy theorists again. Open source is all about having the source code available, that is its defining feature (on would think quite obvious, when you see the name "open source"). That does not automatically imply that open source software must have an open development model or must be centered about a community.
                Open source usualy means that source is not only available but that you can actually use it for free. Say, Half-Life source is also available (except the engine) but no one calls it open source.
                Last edited by Szzz; 18 April 2015, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
                  Open source usualy means that source is not only available but that you can actually use it for free. Say, Half-Life source is also available (except the engine) but no one calls it open source.
                  This would be the OSS vs FOSS distinction. Make it FLOSS if you want to be allowed to create more FOSS derivative work on it
                  Last edited by nanonyme; 18 April 2015, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Discrediting his concerns by labelling him a "conspiracy theorist," classic.

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
                      Discrediting his concerns by labelling him a "conspiracy theorist," classic.
                      Well, he was suggesting RH is going Microsoft on open source ecosystem. How is that not a conspiracy theory?

Comment

Working...
                      X