Red Hat Joins Khronos, The Group Behind OpenGL & Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
    I hear Red Hat has an evil secret lair inside a volcano (english for VULKAN!). That can't be coincident.
    we acquired a 5000 year lease on mount doom after frodo dropped the ring in it, it was done under the cover of opening a New Zealand office.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
      we acquired a 5000 year lease on mount doom after frodo dropped the ring in it, it was done under the cover of opening a New Zealand office.

Dave.
      It took some 5 pages for this thread to end up worthwhile following. I'm glad I stuck with it.

I for one welcome our new redhat overlords

Comment

Me thinks some people did not expect actual Red Hat developers to frequent here. I am sure assassins have already been sent out from the head office in Raleigh to silence these posters accordingly. After all, they can't have guys revealing the truth about their operation now can they.

Comment

Incidentally, it is not a coincidence that Raleigh and R'lyeh sound so much alike. Some deep and ancient evils are at work here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Me thinks some people did not expect actual Red Hat developers to frequent here. I am sure assassins have already been sent out from the head office in Raleigh to silence these posters accordingly. After all, they can't have guys revealing the truth about their operation now can they.
            Check Dave's post count...
            Test signature

Comment

Shit shit shit, now we have to escape to SemiAccurate's orbital base. I'm saddened the base does not yet have nukes, the only way to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                This is one of the reasons RH wants to join Khronos:
                http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...r&q=redhat.com
                yup

(although actual list would be longer.. looks like Adam, Dave, and Jerome only sometimes use @redhat.com email.. and for mesa I pretty much always use my @freedesktop.org addr)

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                  We have big meetings every few months in Red Hat around a big villan table, myself, Lennart, Kay, GNOME devs, Wayland devs, secret kernel hackers team, and we each get a turn stroking the cat and cackling, and saying how we are going to make BSD and Solaris more useless, but then we realised lack of devs/funds to BSD and Oracle have done that for us, so turn to asking for a billion dollars.

wow there are some real whack jobs in the forums, like tin foil hats and medication probably can't fix the crazy.

I kinda wish RH had some sort of supreme overlord dictator internally dictating what I work on, from where I sit its a bunch of individual developers who have some vague ideas of what they think a Linux OS should look like.

Dave.
                  You owe me a cup of coffee and a brand new (Microsoft) keyboard.
                  Thanks

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

IMHO RedHat should have been in Khronos decade ago. After all, they are one of major forces behind next-gen Linux graphics stack. Whatever, congrats, RedHat. It is so nice to see right people in right place. Ones who did so much for graphic stack in Linux are definitely deserve right to have their word on how they want it heard, isn't it?

Speaking for myself I'm really thankful to RedHat for amount of work they did on graphics. And I really consider DRM/KMS things to be a major improvement.

On side note, many BSD zealots yelled DRM/KMS things are useless for them and "not needed". It is really fair they faced fate where GPU drivers started dropping UMS and were forced to adopt similar kernel interfaces hard way. Solaris ... uhm, it is on deathbed thanks to Oracle and I'm not sure someone is in mood to use it as desktop. Either way, new low level graphics in kernel side was a major improvement, and if someone needs to be somewhat evil to crush resistance and bring so much good, it seems it have to be done. Because it is least evil option.

And dear BSD and Solaris zealots, please go screw yourself with your VGA-era ages graphics shit! If you think it is okay to use VGA ages graphics in 2015, you should burn in hell and I'm even agree to be that daemon who would fry your butts after we meet in hell. It is really nice RedHat and their devs did not listen to these progress saboteurs.

And on side note, IMHO, systemd is a major improvement on ways I handle my systems. Good job, guys. And I'm really looking forward for stateless systems, snapshots and so on. We did it for more than decade on VMs. I guess is is really time to face future on bare metal, too?
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 19 April 2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Check Dave's post count...
                      I would rather check his commits count. In fact I wouldn't even need that. Everyone who bothered himself to learn about Linux graphics stack a bit should be very well aware who is airlied (and you too, ofc) and would have no questions why RH joins Khronos. I would rather ask another question: why you haven't do it earlier, RH?

Comment

Working...
                      X