"Why Linux Is Still Not Ready For The Desktop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    the OS says FUCK you MS developers have control over me you NOT. I ignore your wish, I or my owners have other priorities and keep installing some updates and shutdown your movie.
    Ummm no. You turn it off and it stays off. Or turn off automatic updates and do it on you own time, it even asks you during the installation. You can even tell it to automatically restart but only when there's nobody logged on. It's not rocket science.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scheiker View Post
      The title is misleading. It should say "Why Ubuntu Is Still Not Ready For The Ignorant @$$holes Like Myself"

And he used the term "open saucy". Why are we even giving attention this article.
      here you go (greasemonkey script)

Comment

• Originally posted by jbysmith View Post
        Ummm no. You turn it off and it stays off. Or turn off automatic updates and do it on you own time, it even asks you during the installation. You can even tell it to automatically restart but only when there's nobody logged on. It's not rocket science.
        if you completly turn it off, its off yes thats true I learned recently, but if you only turn off automatic updates but select that you want only be informed. it ignores that and some "important" updates get installed automaticly I am an the moment to tired to google it but that was a news a few months ago or so.

Comment

• This Nick Farrel-person has some issues; not only with Linux but with himself more than anything. Pawning off his perspective as some sort of final verdict. No, I'm not a Linux fanboy but neither am I a Windows fanboy. Having switched from Windows to Linux about 6 months ago, I can't honestly say I'm missing Windows... yet. But, I will be switching one PC back to Windows soon enough, for gaming purposes (Steam may be Linux-friendly, Blizzard/Battle.net are not) but I will definitely be keeping Linux on the other box. This very PC never performed as well when it still was running Windows. And the thought of having to switch back to Microsoft Visual Studio for my development needs is harrowing at best.

Nick's article really is very sad, it displays a lack of willingness to learn new things. Which in this day and age is exceedingly foolish, today's technology is already outdated and that phenomenon is only going to strengthen, as it is mostly a self-enforcing cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5Zg860GCs2jwSzJT View Post
            This Nick Farrel-person has some issues; not only with Linux but with himself more than anything. Pawning off his perspective as some sort of final verdict. No, I'm not a Linux fanboy but neither am I a Windows fanboy. Having switched from Windows to Linux about 6 months ago, I can't honestly say I'm missing Windows... yet. But, I will be switching one PC back to Windows soon enough, for gaming purposes (Steam may be Linux-friendly, Blizzard/Battle.net are not) but I will definitely be keeping Linux on the other box. This very PC never performed as well when it still was running Windows. And the thought of having to switch back to Microsoft Visual Studio for my development needs is harrowing at best.

Nick's article really is very sad, it displays a lack of willingness to learn new things. Which in this day and age is exceedingly foolish, today's technology is already outdated and that phenomenon is only going to strengthen, as it is mostly a self-enforcing cycle.
            Switching... why don't dual boot, or dual systems!? Linux is better in OpenGL terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Switching... why don't dual boot, or dual systems!? Linux is better in OpenGL terms.
              I won't bore you with the exact details but there were reasons (most of which still apply) that I decided to permanently switch OS; as in, not likely to return. Obviously, it wasn't nearly as final as I expected, given my consideration to start using Windows again. However, the distinction would still apply, this very PC I am using right now has 0 need for Windows and the other one would have very little need for a second OS if I were to install Windows again. Each of these 2 PCs has a very distinct function in the household and basically have very little need for a dual boot.

Believe me, I would rather keep with using Linux on the more powerful PC but as it stands, Windows would be the better choice for that one if I were to use it to its fullest extent again; it's an AMD GPU and using the Open Source driver, the GPU simply runs hotter and louder than when using the AMD driver, yes, even with more modern kernels, it's running 4.0.0rc7. Besides, even with the AMD driver, there still is the fact that the games I would be playing semi-professionally are simply not available on Linux and in some cases are not recommended on WINE (Blizzard's antihack/anticheat software (called Warden) has been known to autoban people on grounds of detecting WINE, no joke).

Comment

• I sure am glad I don't play games on Windows servers

Originally posted by 5Zg860GCs2jwSzJT View Post
                I won't bore you with the exact details but there were reasons (most of which still apply) that I decided to permanently switch OS; as in, not likely to return. Obviously, it wasn't nearly as final as I expected, given my consideration to start using Windows again. However, the distinction would still apply, this very PC I am using right now has 0 need for Windows and the other one would have very little need for a second OS if I were to install Windows again. Each of these 2 PCs has a very distinct function in the household and basically have very little need for a dual boot.

Believe me, I would rather keep with using Linux on the more powerful PC but as it stands, Windows would be the better choice for that one if I were to use it to its fullest extent again; it's an AMD GPU and using the Open Source driver, the GPU simply runs hotter and louder than when using the AMD driver, yes, even with more modern kernels, it's running 4.0.0rc7. Besides, even with the AMD driver, there still is the fact that the games I would be playing semi-professionally are simply not available on Linux and in some cases are not recommended on WINE (Blizzard's antihack/anticheat software (called Warden) has been known to autoban people on grounds of detecting WINE, no joke).
                I am damned glad nothing requires me to play games on Windows servers that use spyware to verify the state of people's computers. That would require a dedicated machine used for absolutely nothing else due to the privacy and security implications of such software. I'll keep my fully open games and leave the payware to others.

Comment

• In my particular case hardware specifications require linux systems to optimize browsing and office tasks, in fact linux system improvements on kernel, ACPI, DRM, and mesa drivers make certain legacy hardware well supported. For gaming I use XP playing my usual legacy games (I prefer XP also because of audio hardware acceleration support).

Comment

Working...
                  X