Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Why Linux Is Still Not Ready For The Desktop"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux till now has not be ready because system won't it to be; if Linus Torwald could answer to this question he would say: YES (they won't Linux ready because lobbists rule the world). (see Tesla and free energy).

    Comment


    • Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      Err. If you said SSH, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But bashing Windows command line in general is outdated since 2009.
      Is powershell nowadays default command line for Windows or is it still same old cmd?

      Comment


      • I'm not sure why the author would be installing Flash in this day and age. Firefox doesn't really need it anymore, with Youtube and so many services moving to HTML5 and webm and so forth. If you do need it, why not just install Chrome, and at least have Flash sandboxed properly? Even on Windows systems (especially on Windows) I wouldn't want to run any Flash content without a strong sandbox.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          I'm not sure why the author would be installing Flash in this day and age. Firefox doesn't really need it anymore, with Youtube and so many services moving to HTML5 and webm and so forth. If you do need it, why not just install Chrome, and at least have Flash sandboxed properly? Even on Windows systems (especially on Windows) I wouldn't want to run any Flash content without a strong sandbox.
          I just copy and paste the video URL into smplayer > Open > URL. It's waaaay better than any flash player I've seen. Plus then I just use noscript to block everything else.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I just copy and paste the video URL into smplayer > Open > URL. It's waaaay better than any flash player I've seen. Plus then I just use noscript to block everything else.
            That's exactly what I do. Have you used smplayer's Youtube browser add-on? It's very cool - don't even have to go to the Youtube page to find your videos, it automagically creates youtube playlists in smplayer for you, etc.

            Comment


            • If the KDE project died, then it might be a bit more ready.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Panix View Post
                If the KDE project died, then it might be a bit more ready.
                KDE is one the best DE's ever made. Gnome3 is pure pungent stinking brown natural product.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TiberiusDuval View Post
                  KDE is one the best DE's ever made. Gnome3 is pure pungent stinking brown natural product.
                  Whatever. That's why many (most?) distros use Gnome as their base - Debian, Fedora etc.

                  Anyway, does anyone know why this section has no anti-Nouveau posts?:

                  http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...-Linux-Nouveau

                  Nouveau drivers are completely crap with Maxwell cards. Trying/testing live media is hopeless - cannot read /view the screen.

                  So, how do you know how a real install will go? ****ing Nvidia. I know most Nvidia fans only care about gaming here but really, that's pathetic.

                  Another reason Linux will not catch on. At least, with Windoze, you can load your system and do a few clicks - to the Nvidia site. But, I don't know if the screen is unreadable - maybe not optimized but not looking like a complete POS.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    Whatever. That's why many (most?) distros use Gnome as their base - Debian, Fedora etc.

                    Anyway, does anyone know why this section has no anti-Nouveau posts?:

                    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...-Linux-Nouveau

                    Nouveau drivers are completely crap with Maxwell cards. Trying/testing live media is hopeless - cannot read /view the screen.

                    So, how do you know how a real install will go? ****ing Nvidia. I know most Nvidia fans only care about gaming here but really, that's pathetic.

                    Another reason Linux will not catch on. At least, with Windoze, you can load your system and do a few clicks - to the Nvidia site. But, I don't know if the screen is unreadable - maybe not optimized but not looking like a complete POS.
                    Windows distributes D3D drivers. You don't actually need the vendor distributed binaries for hardware acceleration (unless you want OpenGL support and/or latest version along with tools).

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                      Windows distributes D3D drivers. You don't actually need the vendor distributed binaries for hardware acceleration (unless you want OpenGL support and/or latest version along with tools).
                      Or if you want latest and greatest drivers. Not every driver version typically goes through driver certification process

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X