Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Pretty much. The way i use them:

C: Low level programming (HW communication, typically)
    C++: Serious programming
    C#: Need to get a GUI app up and running quickly

For most end-user stuff, I use C# just for simplicity. For programs where I care about performance, i use C++. I only use C when I need direct HW communication (Driver, etc).
    same, although i started using Vala for some linux only things on the GUI side and only using .Net when i need that app crossplatform. not only is really nice language (C# like and you can get GUI app just as fast as C# if not even faster), their integration (how it is done) of dbus IPC is one of the most brilliant things i ever coded with. Vala+IPC just feels like most natural thing ever.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I know there are haters that hate on .NET just because it is from Microsoft.
      But I have to say, C# and the .NET Framework are awesome!
      C# is pretty nice, probably the nicest static typed language. ASP.NET is however a real pain in the ass. The rest of the .NET framework I can't comment on however.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post
        .NET is a thorn in the side of every gamer. We shouldn't accept their VERY late, weak-ass attempt to suck-up to the OSS community. They should have thought about that shit before they ran their smear campaign against OpenGL, Anti-trust lawsuits, etc.. They are never to be trusted.
        It's not an attempt to suck up to the OSS community. They only open-sourced the bits used for running .NET-based servers. As with most of their other contributions to Linux, they're scrambling to remain relevant in a server market that's leaving them behind because Linux is better suited to VPSes and the cloud than Windows.

Comment

The only problem I had with .NET is a lot of it is Windows specific. Such as using the portable executable format and mixing machine code and bytecode in C++/CLI. If they made it without mandating the Windows specific stuff I would use it.

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
            The only problem I had with .NET is a lot of it is Windows specific. Such as using the portable executable format and mixing machine code and bytecode in C++/CLI. If they made it without mandating the Windows specific stuff I would use it.
            You obviously don't know what you're talking about. PE is the executable format of Windows and the UEFI firmware system, now used for all Windows-compatible PCs.

ELF isn't used by very much by comparison. Just every other modern operating system except MacOS X and iOS (including phone OSs and various gaming consoles).
            Last edited by ssokolow; 27 February 2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              You obviously don't know what you're talking about. PE is the executable format of Windows and the UEFI firmware system, now used for all Windows-compatible PCs.

ELF isn't used by very much by comparison. Just every other modern operating system except MacOS X and iOS (including phone OSs and various gaming consoles).
              I don't think adding a smiley lessens an insult that clearly isn't justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                C# is pretty nice, probably the nicest static typed language. ASP.NET is however a real pain in the ass. The rest of the .NET framework I can't comment on however.
                C# is indeed a very nice language, but D blows its pants off. Its syntax and features are basically a superset of C#'s, adding things like compile-time code generation and reflection (run-time reflection in C# can be expensive), as well as generally better performance from being natively compiled. It's also much easier to use cross-platform than C# is, IMO - I switched to it because C# under Linux with Mono was too painful.
                The only area I'd say C# comes out ahead in is library support, due to its greater popularity and funding.

Comment

Darn edit limit. "PE is the executable format of Windows and the XBox and the UEFI firmware system, now used for all Windows-compatible PCs."

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    I don't think adding a smiley lessens an insult that clearly isn't justified.
                    I thought I was pretty clear when I set up a joke of the form:

"They're nothing. They only rule one island!"
                    "You're an idiot. They clearly rule two islands... and we only rule seven continents. That makes them the most powerful nation on earth!"

Comment

The use of PE in UEFI is also a problem I have with UEFI. PE isn't really as good as ELF and includes a lot of redundant stuff like the MS DOS stubs. At least ELF makes good use of the space it uses and most of the stuff in ELF can be stripped out. Plus ELF is more extendable. Although whether they use ELF or PE they need to include an easy way to distinguish from the 2. binfmt_misc can either use Mono for PE or use Wine, but not both. At least when Java used the zip format they included a way to distinguish from the two by changing the file extension.

Comment

Working...
                      X