Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source .NET On Linux Continues Maturing

Phoronix: Open-Source .NET On Linux Continues Maturing

Rich Lander of Microsoft has posted an update concerning the open-sourcing of Microsoft's .NET core and how they're looking to do feature work more in the open and with the community's involvement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know there are haters that hate on .NET just because it is from Microsoft.
    But I have to say, C# and the .NET Framework are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I know there are haters that hate on .NET just because it is from Microsoft.
      as one who uses Vala, C, C++ and C# i can only say they each have their place and case where they are best suited. anyone ignoring that fact and preferring one single language either has really small set of constrained requirements or simply doesn't want to see the bigger picture

Comment

Yesterday I started learn asp.net, I tried first to make ran Ubuntu Mono and monodevelop packages but I don't work fine, then I moved to the ppa from mono project and works better but still there is many bugs e.g args in a controller, so I installed XP on VWware, then Visual Studio 2010 and .net4 I was a very good experience, to much better than php + symfony. I hope .net gains tracktor here cause is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
          Yesterday I started learn asp.net, I tried first to make ran Ubuntu Mono and monodevelop packages but I don't work fine, then I moved to the ppa from mono project and works better but still there is many bugs e.g args in a controller, so I installed XP on VWware, then Visual Studio 2010 and .net4 I was a very good experience, to much better than php + symfony. I hope .net gains tracktor here cause is pretty good.
          As good as ur username?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            They are awesome ... as long as you're in mood for dick sucking contest at microsoft.

- No cross-platform widgets?
            - Huge runtime?
            - Installs in just some couple of fucking hours?
            - MZ EXEs and other MS-centric formats?
            - MS exclusively deciding what to do?
            - Horrible compatibility? And heading to nowhere?

Sure, it can't be better than that!

Comment

.NET is a thorn in the side of every gamer. We shouldn't accept their VERY late, weak-ass attempt to suck-up to the OSS community. They should have thought about that shit before they ran their smear campaign against OpenGL, Anti-trust lawsuits, etc.. They are never to be trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                They are awesome ... as long as you're in mood for dick sucking contest at microsoft.

- Huge runtime?

All this is true. But it is probably the best enterprise class framework out there. With the possible exception of some Java frameworks can you show me one framework that can do half of what .Net does right now ?

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post

- Huge runtime?

as one who did quite a few cp apps with C#, i can only say: WHAT A LOAD OF BS!

just as with any language it mainly depends on how you approached to project.
                  - if you decide to go with gtk (qt simply isn't stable enough at least for me) software will work everywhere.
                  - the huge runtime is about 30MB instalation if you want everything mono offers
                  - i have to see that couple of hours install, but perhaps you're retyping binary code in hex editor
                  - exe maybe, but which other formats? i never had to use anything beside xml, postgresql and mysql in all my time. and even that exe is nothing more than CLR just like any java app
                  - i don't see that as a bad thing, it surely beats zillion incompatible forks. and based that they recently cleared all doubts and really opened development, i can only see positive
                  - horrible compatibility? now, where do you get this from? one of the main reasons why i adopted C# for some of my projects was simply because i need to support 3 different linux distros (all up to 4 years old releases), windows from xp to 8.1 and osx. i only carry one single version for all those systems as same exe and dlls work on all of them. there is no need to have zillion compiled versions and as the last straw, i don't own windows or osx machine to test. only tests on anything but linux were done at customers and it always works 100%, same as development never saw anything but linux

just as anything else, cp will only depend on in/competence and planning (or lack of it). anyone claiming otherwise has no clue what crossplatform means

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    as one who uses Vala, C, C++ and C# i can only say they each have their place and case where they are best suited. anyone ignoring that fact and preferring one single language either has really small set of constrained requirements or simply doesn't want to see the bigger picture
                    Pretty much. The way i use them:

C: Low level programming (HW communication, typically)
                    C++: Serious programming
                    C#: Need to get a GUI app up and running quickly

For most end-user stuff, I use C# just for simplicity. For programs where I care about performance, i use C++. I only use C when I need direct HW communication (Driver, etc).

Comment

Working...
                    X