No announcement yet.

It Takes A While To Boot The BQ Ubuntu Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"because when i started it up before i did a factory reset, and it is gona take a little while. I am told the people from canonical are aware of it."

What phone does not take long on a first boot?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      "because when i started it up before i did a factory reset, and it is gona take a little while. I am told the people from canonical are aware of it."

What phone does not take long on a first boot?
      The new Tizen Z1 for example.

Comment

who cares how long phone boots up? unless it has low battery life this is not something that should be even considered as any kind of measure

the thing that was more disturbing was amount of times phone ignored touch and amount of times when it stuttered on scrolling in this video. at least in this video, those two are definitely really poor for this day and age. i couldn't get rid of the feeling like i'm watching early android phone where hw was 20x slower and os was more disaster than os

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          who cares how long phone boots up? unless it has low battery life this is not something that should be even considered as any kind of measure

the thing that was more disturbing was amount of times phone ignored touch and amount of times when it stuttered on scrolling in this video. at least in this video, those two are definitely really poor for this day and age. i couldn't get rid of the feeling like i'm watching early android phone where hw was 20x slower and os was more disaster than os
          Exactly and it is not like Android phones boot faster on first boot or after firmware update, it takes a while, boot speed in the video is nothing to worry about, concerning touch delays, touch delays are caused often by not correctly touching the screen, sometimes it happens on my Android too, and it is the first time he used the phone, touch sensitivity might be different than on Android phones due to touch gestures and he needs to get used to it, but I speculate, and the small occassional stutter on the scrolling is not a serious flaw, personally I dont consider the lag big, and this is the first published version of the OS, it will surely need more refinement which is why this phone is aimed at enthusiasts who can overlook minor hiccups here and there, Android on similar hardware is not exactly super smooth hundred percent of the time, from what I seen in the video the occassional lag is minor and overall the Ubuntu Touch works well on that hardware, it is not like it is having quad core Qualcomm processor on 2.5 GHz. I am ok with the performance on that hardware and from what I know Ubuntu Touch caches stuff when you first use it so subsequent uses are faster and he booted a freshly reset phone like he said in the video. It is not really fair to compare a first edition of an OS on mediocre hardware to OSes that had countless editions and refinements, not to mention being worked on by waaaaay more developers, for me they did an amazing job for a first edition but thats me. Later phones that are meant to be sold through carriers and retailers will be smooth, this can be considered a tech preview for enthusiasts and developers, and as such works pretty well but again that is my personal opinion, I am getting one most definitely to support the project and I am delighted to be able to use Ubuntu Touch as my daily driver, it has everything I need from a phone, browser, music player, file manager, image viewer, document viewer etc, and Telegram will replace Viber for my purposes until Viber comes.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Too bad it is being trashed on arstechnica. (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...s-like-plan-b/)

Please read the whole article. Goes from bad to worse.

Also, keep in mind that Meego died in favor of this..... wow.
            Last edited by dh04000; 07 February 2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

What are the time stamps of this shuttering? Really, what time stamps, tell me. I need more than one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Too bad it is being trashed on arstechnica. (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...s-like-plan-b/)

Please read the whole article. Goes from bad to worse.

Also, keep in mind that Meego died in favor of this..... wow.
                Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't take all day to start up and that was the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                  Exactly and it is not like Android phones boot faster on first boot or after firmware update, it takes a while, boot speed in the video is nothing to worry about, concerning touch delays, touch delays are caused often by not correctly touching the screen, sometimes it happens on my Android too, and it is the first time he used the phone, touch sensitivity might be different than on Android phones due to touch gestures and he needs to get used to it, but I speculate, and the small occassional stutter on the scrolling is not a serious flaw, personally I dont consider the lag big, and this is the first published version of the OS, it will surely need more refinement which is why this phone is aimed at enthusiasts who can overlook minor hiccups here and there, Android on similar hardware is not exactly super smooth hundred percent of the time, from what I seen in the video the occassional lag is minor and overall the Ubuntu Touch works well on that hardware, it is not like it is having quad core Qualcomm processor on 2.5 GHz. I am ok with the performance on that hardware and from what I know Ubuntu Touch caches stuff when you first use it so subsequent uses are faster and he booted a freshly reset phone like he said in the video. It is not really fair to compare a first edition of an OS on mediocre hardware to OSes that had countless editions and refinements, not to mention being worked on by waaaaay more developers, for me they did an amazing job for a first edition but thats me. Later phones that are meant to be sold through carriers and retailers will be smooth, this can be considered a tech preview for enthusiasts and developers, and as such works pretty well but again that is my personal opinion, I am getting one most definitely to support the project and I am delighted to be able to use Ubuntu Touch as my daily driver, it has everything I need from a phone, browser, music player, file manager, image viewer, document viewer etc, and Telegram will replace Viber for my purposes until Viber comes.
                  hope you're right. the thing that i was concerned about was the fact that this is seen on most basic operations. although, the so many times ignored touch is more like sign of phone having sub-mediocre touch display. still, being first should not be excuse, i had a chance to test jolla which is the same thing of being 1st for sailfishos in line and that one had absolutely stunning performance

as far as mediocre hw, any phone hw out there right now is like supercomputer compared to phones of android 2 era.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't take all day to start up and that was the question.
                    I believe it is 55 seconds or so, is that all day? Androids I used often took even longer to boot after factory reset. Tizen may be faster to boot but like the review on that site says, it doesnt offer much over existing OSes, Ubuntu Touch on the other hand offers innovative UI, scopes, future convergence once Unity 8 and Mir for the desktop are completed etc, there are enough Ubuntu users, and other Linux distributions users, as well as potential application developers to get the phone going, and convergence might be interesting for business users as well. It has more chance than FirefoxOS, Sailfish or Tizen to succeed, though they all may fail of course. Faster boot time is not much of an advantage over anything, we dont reboot phones all the time and 55 seconds is far from slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                      I believe it is 55 seconds or so, is that all day? Androids I used often took even longer to boot after factory reset. Tizen may be faster to boot but like the review on that site says, it doesnt offer much over existing OSes, Ubuntu Touch on the other hand offers innovative UI, scopes, future convergence once Unity 8 and Mir for the desktop are completed etc, there are enough Ubuntu users, and other Linux distributions users, as well as potential application developers to get the phone going, and convergence might be interesting for business users as well. It has more chance than FirefoxOS, Sailfish or Tizen to succeed, though they all may fail of course. Faster boot time is not much of an advantage over anything, we dont reboot phones all the time and 55 seconds is far from slow.
                      My laptop doesn't even boot in 55 seconds....... and that was a factory reset being 55 seconds. People are crazy.

Comment

Working...
                      X