It Takes A While To Boot The BQ Ubuntu Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yeap. Likely some of that is because it uses systemd. As an added bonus one can use systemd-analyze to make it even faster!
    I doubt it has much to do with systemd vs upstart or whatever they might be using in Ubuntu Phone. My lowly ubuntu 14.04 netbook boots in 39 seconds from grub to login prompt, 5 more seconds to full desktop. That's with the stock kernel. With a custom kernel things could speed up considerably. Chances are Ubuntu Phone, being fresh out of the oven, still do a bunch of things at startup they might not want to do.

Comment

/me shows dumbphone booting in about 8 secs :P

Comment

Yeap. Likely some of that is because it uses systemd. As an added bonus one can use systemd-analyze to make it even faster!
        While SystemD have a boot speed advantage over SysInit, Upstart also have it.
        Between SystemD and Upstart there isn't a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by darkblu View Post
          I doubt it has much to do with systemd vs upstart or whatever they might be using in Ubuntu Phone. My lowly ubuntu 14.04 netbook boots in 39 seconds from grub to login prompt, 5 more seconds to full desktop. That's with the stock kernel. With a custom kernel things could speed up considerably. Chances are Ubuntu Phone, being fresh out of the oven, still do a bunch of things at startup they might not want to do.
          I'm pretty sure it's more due to systemd than the kernel, but of course the lion's share of boot time is always the userland services. Hence why I mentioned systemd-analyze.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            hope you're right. the thing that i was concerned about was the fact that this is seen on most basic operations. although, the so many times ignored touch is more like sign of phone having sub-mediocre touch display. still, being first should not be excuse, i had a chance to test jolla which is the same thing of being 1st for sailfishos in line and that one had absolutely stunning performance

as far as mediocre hw, any phone hw out there right now is like supercomputer compared to phones of android 2 era.
            Comparing this phone (Mir/Upstart/Linux) with Jolla (Wayland/systemd/Linux) will be amazing, btw.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's more due to systemd than the kernel, but of course the lion's share of boot time is always the userland services. Hence why I mentioned systemd-analyze.
              I mentioned the kernel in relation to the boot times on my netbook, not in relation to Ubuntu Phone.

Comment

Originally posted by darkblu View Post
                If you netbook doesn't have an SSD/flash memory then that's fairly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Microsoft beat Canonical to their convergence idea already anyway. [1]I don't see what Ubuntu Touch brings new to the table. We're supposed to wait for 16.04 when all the convergence magic happens? Even Firefox is eating Canonicals convergence lunch at this time.
                  Announced at International CES 2015, Firefox OS now powers Panasonic devices. Panasonic will be the first to bring Firefox OS to smart TVs.

They have multiple devices in 29 countries and different form factors. TVs in the near future and smartwatches and wearables are next. Where is my Ubuntu TV?
                  Are you trolling or just not educated?

windows 10 is not out. Only some early preview versions are, and not any of those run on any phone yet. Ubuntu phone is out. Ubuntu had comparable preview versions of their phone over a year ago. So microsoft was certainly not first with convergence.

Secondly, only "metro" software runs on all form factors. There won't be a desktop on tablets or phones like ubuntu will have. So whatever little convergence they have even it fails.

Comment

Impressive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J4T...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                    X