RMS Feels There's "A Systematic Effort To Attack GNU Packages"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
    FYI, this already exists: LGPL plus static linking exception. Examples: libstdc++, FLTK.
    Qt too

Comment

• Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      Your opinion on this is as valid as Stallman's or mine. I do belive that I have the right to tinker with the product I own. Be it car, router, PC, coffee machine or software.

And that is where you are wrong. When I licence priprietary software, I do so because I have to. I never wanted to licence Word, but the world revolves around .doc. I never wanted to licence Acrobat Reader, but nothing else supports PDF forms. You might argue that I don't have to fill in the form electronically, but I guarantee you, that in this case, I really did, there was no alternative.
      I don't licence drivers any more (no nvidia here), so yes, there is choice sometimes (most actually), but not always.

Serafean
      Okular supports forms

Comment

• The GPL is a software holocaust, a crime against humanity.

Anyone that advocates for the GPL is pro-fascist and pro-slavery.

The FSF and RMS are basically no different to ISIS.

The Truth has spoken.

Comment

• Okay now I'm convinced that Truth and ihatemichael are the same person, trying to play both sides to incite the flames. The post style is almost exactly the same and it's the same kind of over the top caricature

Comment

FYI, this already exists: LGPL plus static linking exception. Examples: libstdc++, FLTK.
            Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            Qt too
            Agree there are examples today but I think there would have to be a standard form in order to avoid compatibility gotchas between variants.

There's also an "embargo NDA" challenge which hasn't entirely gone away yet -- the ability to distribute code/info associated with an unreleased product to a restricted group, with the understanding that it becomes unrestricted when the product launches. It would require some care to avoid abuse, and we're already at the point where we can release *most* of the code for a new product prior to launch, so depending on what other companies require it might be possible to skip it.
            Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              A couple things...
              1).The NSA founded in the 1960s is built all around SIGINT, and they were created to administrate the US portion of the ECHELON system which was used for intercepting things like telephone conversations
              2). in 2001, The FBI hacked into what we would consider today a feature phone of a Mafia member in order to listen in on conversations to gather evidence to use against them, the court ruled in favor of the FBI in order to take down the mob.
              3). About a year before Snowden the FBI spying program on cellphones was uncovered.

Anyone who was surprised by Snowden, has no clue what the NSA is; as anyone who knows, knew this was going to happen.
              OLOL!

That they have special rights, do *INT and use force is not questioned.
              What is highly questioned, is that they do *INT on all population WORLDWIDE, without any SUSPICION and en MASSE.
              Even Mafia does not do it.
              And Stallman was way earlier to say it - Snowden was just an inside leak who confirmed and expanded about what was going on.
              Not only Stallman told about it, his own GNU OPPOSES this kind of behaviour in software.
              Non of your punny "open sauce" does it neither in philosophy, nor in code.
              And specifically, because corporations absolutely love "open sauce" and hate GNU/GPL, and are also bound unconditionally to goverment regardless of stuff they ask, its no suprise there is a d1ckhead march about how bad GNU is.
              Last edited by brosis; 08 February 2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                So much about "the GPL is here to give you freedom". The obvious answer to this would be to make GDB better, not to shut down LLDB support.
                Yes well too man old revs think making gnu anything more usable would be the end of the world. So defaults remain useless and their private configuration is never shared or is hidden away on a mailing list.

Comment

• Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  OLOL!

That they have special rights, do *INT and use force is not questioned.
                  What is highly questioned, is that they do *INT on all population WORLDWIDE, without any SUSPICION and en MASSE.
                  Even Mafia does not do it.
                  And Stallman was way earlier to say it - Snowden was just an inside leak who confirmed and expanded about what was going on.
                  Not only Stallman told about it, his own GNU OPPOSES this kind of behaviour in software.
                  Non of your punny "open sauce" does it neither in philosophy, nor in code.
                  And specifically, because corporations absolutely love "open sauce" and hate GNU/GPL, and are also bound unconditionally to goverment regardless of stuff they ask, its no suprise there is a d1ckhead march about how bad GNU is.
                  The point you're completely failing to get here is that Stallman wasn't the first, and he wasn't the only one worried about this, and anyone with half a brain who understood the purpose of the NSA already guessed and was aware of this and knew it was going to go down because the NSA had already been doing it for the past ~60 years. Even longer if we go to it's earliest form that was created during WWI to break codes and do counter intelligence against german spies.

Comment

• Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post

HATERS GONNA HATE

A bastion of health. I give him less than a decade before he bites the bullet. He better spend some time on his health.

Comment

MPLv2 is far better for this and has pretty much become my goto license.

Comment

Working...
                      X