Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Switched (Back) Over To Fedora As My Main OS & It's Going Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    That's one way of looking at it. Another is that the people who are happy with it don't feel the need to spend their lives moaning about it on the net.
    Like I said, the vocal folks are the minority. Those folks that are vocal about liking it, are the minority of the folks that like it. Those folks (like me) that are vocal about hating it, are the minority of the folks that hate it.

I have no idea what the exact split between haters and likers are though. I always really hope that more people hate it, but that's only my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Like I said, the vocal folks are the minority. Those folks that are vocal about liking it, are the minority of the folks that like it. Those folks (like me) that are vocal about hating it, are the minority of the folks that hate it.

I have no idea what the exact split between haters and likers are though. I always really hope that more people hate it, but that's only my opinion.
      The majority of user do not even have a reason to even *care* about the init system at all let alone hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
        The majority of user do not even have a reason to even *care* about the init system at all let alone hate it.
        If they care about breakage, then they care about systemd whether they know it or not. And then there is the fact that systemd is -not- just an init. If that's all it was, I wouldn't care.
        Last edited by duby229; 01 February 2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by valmar View Post
          My main problem with Fedora is the font rendering. Even with freetype-freeworld and with slight hinting, it is simply miles behind Ubuntu's font rendering.

I am currently using Arch as my main machine, but almost only because I can install the ubuntu-patched font libraries and have an Ubuntu-like font rendering.

How is it possible that no one has (unofficially) ported the Ubuntu patches to Fedora, yet? Once that happens, it would be my perfect system....

Valerio
          If you want the best fonts rendering in Arch you should try the infinitally-bundle! They are just great

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality
          https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098

If they wanted, I supose Fedora could implement them too.

Comment

Except that by human nature, the people who are unhappy are generally vocal, and the people who are not unhappy are generally quiet... it's a matter of motivation, because the people who are not unhappy don't have any need to make themselves heard.

So the proportions aren't going to be equal - the noisy "haters" are going to be a much large proportion than are the noisy "likers", because the former have incentive to be noisy and the latter don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              Except that by human nature, the people who are unhappy are generally vocal, and the people who are not unhappy are generally quiet... it's a matter of motivation, because the people who are not unhappy don't have any need to make themselves heard.

So the proportions aren't going to be equal - the noisy "haters" are going to be a much large proportion than are the noisy "likers", because the former have incentive to be noisy and the latter don't.
              I think you're failing to take into account fanboyism.

Comment

It's interesting to see how 1) diverse Phronoix users are in their DE and distro choices, and 2) how extremely opinionated some are, while others are more reasonable.

Xubuntu 14.04 LTS user chiming in here.

1) Ignoring the desktop, I find the package quality of Ubuntu to be far superior to other distros: Ubuntu is also my choice for my cloud and server deployments, where it is rock solid. There's more testing and faster release of fixes for security issues: across the board, whether in upstream Debian or in Canonical and Ubuntu projects, teams are doing a great job. Remember that if you like MINT, you also owe these upstream projects some kudos. In terms of Ubuntu distributions proper, a good balance is struck in LTS between stability and features. (I treat non-LTS releases as if they were betas.)
                2) I'm more familiar with the Debian way of doing things (the Debian build system, APT, /etc organization) than that of Fedora/CentOS/SUSE.
                3) I prefer Xfce over all other DEs, especially the new experimental ones. If I ever do want a different one, I will likely choose one of the Ubuntu flavors (and it will likely be Ubuntu GNOME).

I'm still very happy to see Fedora pushing ahead so nicely, and it will surely be good for it that Phoronix, a high-profile Linux site, is switching to it. Congrats on this small, but important victory.

Comment

While I won't disagree that strict Ubuntu isn't going anywhere, I'm moving in the opposite direction away from everyone else back to Kubuntu. And I guess thats mostly just the Blue Systems takeover making it super first class for desktop experience.

Just this past week having a test machine with the 15.04 Alpha versus Arch's rollout of Plasma 5.2, where Arch has had these packages upstream for months, a lot of stuff is still missing in Arch - the KTP plasmoid, which is in Kubuntu 15.04, Kmix 5 isn't in Arch repos yet, so you have to use Kmix 4 which has broken widgets rendering under KDE5, Bluedevil defaults bluetooth off whenever it starts so I have to manually turn it on with my trackpad every time I use my notebook before my bluetooth mouse works, etc.

None of those little blemishes happen under 15.04. A month ago I would have talked about how batshit insane it would have been to try getting people to use Kubuntu 15.04 since its going to have both Upstart -> Systemd and KDE4 -> 5 happen in one release. But at the rate of improvement I've seen these last few weeks, it might actually be solid at release, and if it is and can patch all the missing pieces in time (no printing kcm module, missing a lot of other stock plasmoids from KDE4, Muon feels really regressive atm as well) it will definitely be my distro of the year and distro of choice for everyone else for the foreseeable future.

I guess it is more a "do you use KDE or everything else?" kind of scenario. In that regard KDE on Fedora always feels like a second class citizen... because it is. And OpenSUSE in the last two years went from doing great to being sent to the community abyss and now I just don't feel it has the manpower to stay current - where my 12.3 desktop two years ago felt mdoern and great, 13.2 has made no improvement and still has all the classical Suse blemishes, mainly how YAST does not integrate at all into the desktop, even after its Ruby rewrite. I'm much more interested in how Blue Systems / Netrunner are shoving more of their KCMs and tech into upstream KDE and thus the KDE systemsettings over time to make it a lot more professional in Kubuntu nowadays, because I see that now paying off.

And Gnome still does not interest me at all. Either as a developer or end user. Whenever I throw Linux at a relative or client I always give it due justice by letting them pick from Gnome, Unity, and KDE, but to this day nobody wants to use either of the former since they are so alien over a Windows-like KDE panel with icon tasks and kickoff. I dunno if I'm not doing Gnome enough justice, but when the average users UX is open web browser and go to facebook, having to meta -> firefox or alt tab or some such just completely turns them off to click button on panel, and if its already open clicking button on panel just brings th window back. And in that regard I guess Unity's alien and OSX like searcher button and user button turn them off in a similar way, because users in my experience want one "desktop" start button / menu button to do everythnig from, be it logging off o finding programs or searching documents.

To my surprise, the 5 year old "cannot open files/stream media from a network share" bug on KDE is still not fixed.
                  I just tested this - I have two desktops in my house running KDE, and I just opened a movie in VLC over network browsing in Dolphin fine. It seeks perfectly and everything.

I do strongly feel that Dolphin is a real weak point no the KDE spectrum nowadays, and really needs some UI and UX overhauls to a lot of its guts. Sharing should be easier, browsing the network should be more intuitive, etc. Bucket list of another thing to look into (I really did just add it - its #52...).
                  Last edited by zanny; 01 February 2015, 06:43 PM.

Comment

If they care about breakage, then they care about systemd whether they know it or not. And then there is the fact that systemd is -not- just an init. If that's all it was, I wouldn't care.
                    Again for the majority (that doesn't have to include you) its just an implementation detail. Those user only notice that there system boots up a bit faster and that's basically it.

Comment

I have Ubuntu on my primary desktop and Fedora on my work laptop. Both have been fine, except Ubuntu 14.10 kept crashing spontaneously with no information left in syslog, kern.log, or anywhere else. I haven't had a crashing problem on Linux not hardware related in over five years.

I downgraded to Ubuntu 14.04, all was fine. Then some games my kids play wouldn't work, so I upgraded to 14.10 again. The crash returned. This time, I decided to take a risk and go to the 15.04 alpha 2. It's been ten minutes, so far so good.

Oh, and just to add a voice - I don't have a problem with GNOME (I switch between GNOME Classic, LXDE, and XFCE as the mood strikes) and I like systemd.

Comment

Working...
                      X