Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Switched (Back) Over To Fedora As My Main OS & It's Going Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    And that leads me to ending distro hopping. For that, I'm very happy with Arch and GNOME 3. However, I might have a look at what Unity 8 and Mir has to offer, even though it's at an early stage of development right now even though Canonical is very slow about making changes and they are so heavily focused in mobile right now. I would love to see some innovations made for the Linux desktop world.
    I kinda follow the same path as yours. I simply left the Ubuntu boat a bit earlier
    I've tried Arch recently, but honestly I don't have time to find all the packages that I have to install and then configure, I've spent too much time customizing my distros, now I just want them to work out of the box so that I can start being productive as soon as possible.
    In that aspect, I installed the GNOME variation of Manjaro (based on Arch) recently and I was version pleased by the result. Yes, there are still some rough edges, but for a very young distro (which I wouldn't have even tried a few years ago), it is very, very efficient.

Manjaro is like a mix of the ease-of-use of Debian, and the bleeding-edge system of Arch. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      Yeah, Ubuntu appears to be very stale with no improvements to the look and feel of Unity desktop.
      Last week, I tried Ubuntu again after using Fedora 21, and 'stale' is a good way of describing it. It felt like I had gone back 2-3 years.

Comment

My main problem with Fedora is the font rendering. Even with freetype-freeworld and with slight hinting, it is simply miles behind Ubuntu's font rendering.

I am currently using Arch as my main machine, but almost only because I can install the ubuntu-patched font libraries and have an Ubuntu-like font rendering.

How is it possible that no one has (unofficially) ported the Ubuntu patches to Fedora, yet? Once that happens, it would be my perfect system....

Valerio

Comment

Will you use fedora as main linux os for the incoming benchmark as well ?

Seems like amd support is still a pain in the ass on Fedora atm.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            Last week, I tried Ubuntu again after using Fedora 21, and 'stale' is a good way of describing it. It felt like I had gone back 2-3 years.
            Some people haven't been complaining for using Windows XP during 10 years or more, so "no" visual improvement is not necesarily a problem, sometimes an advantage. But with many underlying components getting updated constantly, not taking benefits of them can be harming. I see that "benefits" and GTK are not always the good words to put with (remember Nautilus losing some features). It may explain some problems.

Comment

Originally posted by valmar View Post
              My main problem with Fedora is the font rendering. Even with freetype-freeworld and with slight hinting, it is simply miles behind Ubuntu's font rendering.

I am currently using Arch as my main machine, but almost only because I can install the ubuntu-patched font libraries and have an Ubuntu-like font rendering.

How is it possible that no one has (unofficially) ported the Ubuntu patches to Fedora, yet? Once that happens, it would be my perfect system....

Valerio
              better font rendering in Fedora was not enabled due to legal reasons. it was always just one step away. Fedy

but, 21 improved fonts so well i didn't even bother with the one in Fedy

Comment

I could not get catalyst installed in Fedora so I went back to Kubuntu. Anyway I find Gnome a complete joke compared to KDE. I would still prefer a rolling release but ppas provide a hackish alternative.

Comment

Fedora has systemd and gnome shell. 90 % of linux user hate both. And you don't have decent repos/video drivers/video codecs/decent package maneger like synaptic... and is a beta for red hat. So...

Comment

Feedback on Fedora?

In the last couple of releases, I have been trying to switch to Fedora, after some good 6+ years on Ubuntu (14.04 right now). My main problem with Fedora is with the repositories. Maybe it's just me not being used to it, but do you guys enable some 3rd party repos by default? Say rmpfusion or equivalent?

My next problem is that I really like synaptic for package management, but I can live without it if it allows me to move away from Canonical (not personal or political, I just don't see much of a future in it).

Anyway, suggestions are welcome, if you feel like it .

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      I could not get catalyst installed in Fedora so I went back to Kubuntu. Anyway I find Gnome a complete joke compared to KDE. I would still prefer a rolling release but ppas provide a hackish alternative.
                      So why not openSUSE Tumbleweed?

Comment

Working...
                      X