AMD Loses Three More Executives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    AMD is totally locked out of low nm fabrication so it's not happening.
    I know and it sucks. It was Dirk Meyer..... I wish I could go back in time to before the fabs got sold and do something about it.

I know, the money wasn't there, they had to sell. Maybe something else could have, or should have been done. I don't know what that is, but something.
    Last edited by duby229; 14 January 2015, 08:58 AM.

Comment

The good news in the revenue department, is that AMD owns all 3 latest generation gaming consoles. Playstation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U are all powered by an AMD APU. I'm not a video gamer, but hopefully console sales will inject AMD with the revenue to get back into the x86 game.

Especially in the server market, Opteron is overdue for a refresh. The last Opterons were the 4300/6300 series from late 2012. Even if they can't compete with the top-end from intel, they need to at least release a new product and capture the value segment. We just bought new servers at work last year, and went with Opteron 6300 series processors. Why? Because going with intel would have resulted in ~$5000 per server more, which is a difference of $100,000 for the 20 servers we bought. That's not chump change. Not everybody needs the Extreme Edition FTW WTF Overclocked edition processor.

Comment

A big disappointment. I am liking Intel less and less over time, but AMD seems to be in a death spiral.

Comment

R.I.P

Comment

???

I'm trying to reconcile the "AMD needs to do things differently" comments with the "OMG AMD changed something" comments and not succeeding.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I'm trying to reconcile the "AMD needs to do things differently" comments with the "OMG AMD changed something" comments and not succeeding.
              John Byrne was an important guy according to a few sites. Canning him does not appear a good move.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                ???

The thing I think AMD should do differently is compete with Intel on the highest end. At minimum that would help improve ASP across all segments. It already happened when Sledgehammer was released. It could happen again if they tried.

The reason why it happened was mindshare. They gained it with Sledgehammer and lost it with Core2. I think they should try.

Comment

@bridgman

Without the console deals AMD has no chance to make profit at all. The still sold AM3+ cpus are completely outdated and the newer apus are way too slow (the cpu part of it). The gfx cards are more or less competitive as long as your OS is Windows. Most likely your new CEO did not see much progress the last years, nor did I. I can not forsee a bright future without those executives but most likely it can't get much worse. It looks like a coach change of a sinking team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    The still sold AM3+ cpus are completely outdated and the newer apus are way too slow (the cpu part of it).
                    So you're saying we need to be working on a new high end x86 core...

Last edited by bridgman; 15 January 2015, 03:37 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

IMO AMD should have pushed an enhanced Thuban to 32nm while they worked on fixing Bulldozers problems properly with a full or partial redesign. Thuban sold like hotcakes after Bulldozer came out. AMD never should have abandoned it so quickly. Hell AMD probably could have made an 8 core 32nm Thuban and sold it at premium Intel prices while Intel was still stuck on 4 core and won the market.

Hell I would drool over a 28nm 8 core Thuban II /w modern instructions and resonant clock mesh.
                      Last edited by grndzro; 15 January 2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X