No announcement yet.

C4 Engine Drops Linux Support, Calls It "Frankenstein OS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that "sudo apt-get" thing a real quote? Who says "sudo apt-get"? Makes me think he doesn't know what sudo is.

Also, if that GTX 9xx thing is correct then I think he owes the Nouveau developers an apology. The work they have been able to do despite the constant uphill battle (forced reverse engineering) is amazing, and very appreciated. Don't blame them for not having full support for a completely new architecture only weeks after release, when they get zero support from NVIDIA. I hold their software engineering skills much higher than the ones of some developer of a game engine that looks like it's from 2003.

This reminds me of when Phil Fish called PCs "spreadsheet machines", it's just an edgy opinion created from a false sense of self-importance.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Where's reliable software mixing of input and output? Where? Why even in 2015 I've got a situation when applications block all other applications from using my sound card?

Windows has this problem solved in 1999. Linux fans will keep inventing BS excuses for broken audio, saying it just works when in fact it's barely usable.
      From this I suspect you're one of those people who remove PulseAudio without even trying it. Or possibly you have some exotic 24 channel sound card (RME Hammerfall?) that works great with JACK but nothing else. Maybe you followed some really obsolete setup instructions that told your application to use a direct hardware ALSA interface instead of the default.

Believe it or not, you can do the same and block applications from sound in Windows with an exclusive access lock and ASIO drivers. This is the same as using direct hardware interfaces in ALSA.

So you see, since Windows does what it's told to do, just like Linux, the "problem" was not solved in 1999. I suppose Linux could "fix" it by putting all kinds of "Are you sure?" boxes around direct access, renaming the ALSA device nodes and give them secret names only Pulse knows so that no one can accidentally use it.

On my laptop with an Intel sound thingy, Linux sound works perfectly. And while I haven't tried any discrete sound cards recently, in 2007 I had an AMD system with a Soundblaster Audigy 2 feeding a Logitech Z-680 5.1 speaker setup that worked great in Linux using ALSA dmix.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Other than C4 Engine, what could you suggest to write games using other game engines listed in here?

Let's say I'm into 3D Japanese RPG game development. And yes, JRPG is one of my favorite genre of all time, ranging from Chrono Trigger to Ni No Kuni and Breath of Fire IV. I'm thinking a small JRPG game, though. And a language to program something as easy as C#. And something with a level editor, if any.
        RPG Maker? Some of these?

Comment

Dont try to understand him seriously thats the proove that he got payed, he is a developer and some say he is a good one so total incompetence is out of question, so he gets payed to tell people FUD.
          every part of Linux is a disaster but the graphics drivers
          If he just cant install ubuntu or use apt-get why would he defend the driver, let me guess he talks about the propriatary drivers in his case from nvidia? So he wants to say linux and all free software is shit only the proprietary windows OS + proprietary Software is good. Macosx is also good why because its proprietary.

And yes maybe he had bad experience with some hardware, but why does he then bitch about ubuntu installer or apt-get, has nothing to do with it. It would be then Nvidias or someone else fault not giving out the specs, but even if you mistakenly blame on the wrong people becasue you are a ashole fanboy sick dude like he seems to be, it cant be to "expensive" to just buy on of the other 99% of linux pcs that a ubuntu is easy installable.

Which company does he work that he has only 1 PC and its impossible to get alternative hardware.

And even then you could just quiet say, because of business desitions or something else we dont support linux.

That statement (I am a developer and I am to dumb to install ubuntu on any pc) would be a instant reason for me to fire such incompentent "computer guy".

Lets be clear either he is payed by microsoft or he is hardcore fan for some company that dont support free software and causing such problems with it, and because of his blind love to this company as example nvidia "linux" must be blamed and hated on.

Even if it would be some fuckup of ubuntu, ubuntu is not "linux" its ONE Linux distro, and if he has a IQ higher than 20 he must know that a statement that he cant install ubuntu must make him look extremly bad. Even that alone makes me think that he must be pretty dumb, if he dont can understand that he makes himself look so bad, by such statements.

Comment

@EricLengyel: We don't want nor need your shitty "engine". Shove your crap up your ass. Asshole.

Fuck you.

Comment

Was actually able to reinstall 12.04 and boot into it, but all attempts to upgrade to 14.04 failed.
              Why would anybody do such stuff, is that even a supported thing ok both is LTS so its possible? But its not the idea that people install freshly 12.04 and upgrade to 14.04 just install directly 14.04, who would just install freshly windows xp to upgrade to windows 7? Nobody does that.

I dont know about what hardware he uses, but in this thread I read something about Maxwell, wikipedia on this topic:

The very first Maxwell-based product to hit the market were the GeForce GTX 750 and the GeForce GTX 750 Ti. Both were released on February 18, 2014
              So he tried to use Ubuntu 12.04 and had problems with Hardware from 2014, mabye thats his thought-mistake, but again thats not Linux fault. I guess if you are stubborn and think, linux must be a clone from windows and everything must be like in windows, that makes sensse because you install the drivers seperatly. in this case MAYBE thats even possible IF he uses the blob-installer from ubuntu.

But then again he says that everything is bad except the drivers.

I see here 2 problems, I think that either he mistakes this for his privat channel to some few friends, or we take it wrong and its really supposed to be that.

2. problem its twitter you get only 0.00001% of the info to say something really about his problems. just to few infos because the message lenght is nearly 0 chars long.

Another problem is maybe that he had bad experinces in the past, maybe he did try then harder, and thought before he startet that he will fail anyway and did not try really. But again all speculation, but saying such generall stuff about "linux" in a generaly public channel as a professional is maybe not that smart except if not michael most likely nobody ever would made a articel with quotes from him out of his twitter rage
              Last edited by blackiwid; 12 January 2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Just 2 things to say, I like ubuntu but I dont use it either (that should say something, ubuntu has many bugs), and I think apt-get kind of sucks, after I started using an arch-based-distro (and the gorgeous pacman) my linux experience its as great as should be.
                So maybe the problem is than he has only used ubuntu, but linux is more than that. He doesnt has to use apt-get if he dont like it, as many people do.
                Last edited by edoantonioco; 12 January 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

This idiot thinks we'll cry about him removing Linux support from his shitty software.

See:

No, we say good riddance to you and your crappy closed source software.

Comment

Sorry, he has valid points. People that don't understand how often Linux fails at very simple things that should have been fixed years ago. Part of the problem is the community which blames the user instead of admitting the weaknesses.

Do we still get screen tearing while scrolling up and down in a text editor or an internet browser? You bet! If you don't see it, you're blinded by your zeal. Or you need glasses.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gnu/Linux. Would not be using it for the past 15 years if I didn't. But, let's face it, it's not perfect. And when something doesn't work, it can mean a lot of wasted time for no justifiable reason. It also seems like Gnu/Linux developers have never heard of automated testing. I've had trouble installing Ubuntu or some other very popular distro just because I picked a non-standard options (like encrypt my disk, or whatever), the same option worked in a release candidate, doesn't work on a final release. Time and again.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                      Sorry, he has valid points. People that don't understand how often Linux fails at very simple things that should have been fixed years ago. Part of the problem is the community which blames the user instead of admitting the weaknesses.
                      No, "WE" whatever that means? The Canonical Devs, what is "Linux"... its all such general statements that are way to unclear. Linux means nothing lets face it, it can mean Android that says everything. Its a kernel... but lets skip this discussion.

Most problems are not users fault but the fault of some companies like Nvidia and others, as example Creative (with the soundcards...) and others.
                      And when people don't understand that and they give their even the freedom of choice away and let companies like nividia dictate them which OS they are allowed to use I blame them for beeing ignorant.

He is a game developer it does not matter if the Browser Scrolls visualy perfekt. Its fixed when wayland is adopted, but still for working this state is good enough. And it was not the scrolling-tearing or something like that what was here the reason. Dont mix your problems with linux into everybody sees them so important and thats why nobody uses linux. Tahts exactly that self-centred and ignorant that he is.

Linux is not about beeing perfekt, he payed microsoft shurly hundrets of dollars lisense fees, for linux he dont have to, but then either he deals with his problems himself as developer thats a reasonable request, or at least ask somebody or give that money to as example the nouvou guys...

he never even talked right what his problems was, so its just a big trolling fest for him...

But we all know this kind of person, if in a company the boss is desiding that all have to migrate to linux, people often tend to munity. They jsut dont accept it, they would never react so negativ if the employer makes other business desitions, because he is the boss, I guess its something with this windows sound scheme or some other incredience that makes people really physicaly addicted to windows, and they would kill people to be able to use it again.
                      Last edited by blackiwid; 12 January 2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X