No announcement yet.

OpenBenchmarking.org: Ubuntu Prepares To Be Overtaken By Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think in the future even Slackware and Gentoo folks can enjoy systemd by default, so /usr/lib/os-release is definitely the right thing to parse.
    There aren't that many applications that parse lsb-release:

Only 6 applications depend on it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I think in the future even Slackware and Gentoo folks can enjoy systemd by default, so /usr/lib/os-release is definitely the right thing to parse.
      There aren't that many applications that parse lsb-release:

Only 6 applications depend on it.
      7... with Steam

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        7... with Steam
        I wonder what kind of dependency these applications have on lsb-release. I can't imagine that they flatout refuse to work without it.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          Unsurprisingly, os-release was created by poettering.
          http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/os-release
          lol... should have known right off the bat.

and what a trainwreck of a FAQ

Q. Why should we want this?
          A. Because it's better and the previous alternative is worse.

Q. I want you to die in a fire because I'm a horrible dissenter evil person!
          A. Look at me! Look at me! I'm such a victim of meanie-heads! Therefore, my software is better and should become the accepted solution.

Comment

Is a text file a library?

If not, what is it doing in a library directory?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Is a text file a library?

If not, what is it doing in a library directory?
              It's a text file. There are a lot of non shared objects files in /usr/lib and its subfolders if you take a look.

Comment

Awesome, more Poettering-loving, "elite" alpha testers for Linux (= arch users), you are doing a great job guys, thank you!
                BTW, just hope and pray you don't have to leave the computer for more than one week (have you ever left your computer?), or that there isn't yet another arch-specific bug... because everything will crash and you'll be forced to reinstall everything, for the n-th time... oh, right, I forgot, Arch users are elite hackers that have no problem reinstalling their systems (while I'm here using the same Kubuntu installation that I've been using for years, in many computers, without any problems, without reinstalling anything), a la windows users, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  LOL . Arch folks don't usually compile stuff though, unless it's from AUR.
                  3 letters ABS. Of course I usually only build performance critical programs to work with my AMD fx better.

I always suspected Arch was really more popular than it seems, given that the steam forums seem to have a VERY strong showing of Arch users and Gaming On Linux has many users tagged with the Arch logo as well. Never heard of
                  the evo\lution installer until today... I never thought it was hard to install though, takes like 10 minutes. Seems nifty watching a youtube video about it right now

Comment

It's a text file. There are a lot of non shared objects files in /usr/lib and its subfolders if you take a look.
                    yes, like static libraries and libtool files

bash-4.2# file /usr/lib/* | grep text
                    /usr/lib/libc.so: ASCII text
                    /usr/lib/libgfortran.spec: ASCII text
                    /usr/lib/libgomp.spec: ASCII text
                    /usr/lib/libitm.spec: ASCII text
                    /usr/lib/libpthread.so: ASCII text
                    /usr/lib/logging.properties: ASCII text

logging.properties is some java bs
                    .spec files are linking helpers used by idk
                    libc.so and lipthread.so are for glibc linking fun

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                      Awesome, more Poettering-loving, "elite" alpha testers for Linux (= arch users), you are doing a great job guys, thank you!
                      BTW, just hope and pray you don't have to leave the computer for more than one week (have you ever left your computer?), or that there isn't yet another arch-specific bug... because everything will crash and you'll be forced to reinstall everything, for the n-th time... oh, right, I forgot, Arch users are elite hackers that have no problem reinstalling their systems (while I'm here using the same Kubuntu installation that I've been using for years, in many computers, without any problems, without reinstalling anything), a la windows users, lol
                      Silly noob. When one of us hackers do something crazy that renders a system moot we chroot fix them... oddly I have only had to chroot in to fix a problem with cinnamon, even though it wasn't a problem but more of a rename of the launch command... that I didn't know about, until like a week later, so I didn't need to fix it but I thought I did

Comment

Working...
                      X