• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd never heard about wrlinux till now!

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      I'd never heard about wrlinux till now!
      Wind River Linux (wrlinux) has usage in the embedded world.... And Phoronix Test Suite is used a ton there.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
        I'm thinking you missed the gaming survey where 25% of linux gamers use Arch. It's popularity is growing and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Quit hanging onto Ubuntu's nuts. Most Ubuntu hits are from non unity Ubuntu desktops comprised of Mint/Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu....etc.
        Unity is a dead duck and it's only a matter of time before even the Ubuntu derivitives die off. Hell Nvidia flat out refuses to support Mir.
        i can back this up on linux mint.
        $ cat /etc/os-release
        NAME="Ubuntu"
        VERSION="14.04.1 LTS, Trusty Tahr"
        ID=ubuntu
        ID_LIKE=debian
        PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS"
        VERSION_ID="14.04"
        HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
        SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
        BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          And this is my first time hearing of /etc/lsb-release. I certainly don't have that in my openSUSE 13.1 install:
          Code:
          cat /etc/lsb-release
          cat: /etc/lsb-release: No such file or directory
          openSUSE has /etc/os-release nowadays and I think it never used /etc/lsb-release, but had its own /etc/SuSE-release which is still present with the following content:
          Code:
          $ cat /etc/SuSE-release
          openSUSE 13.1 (x86_64)
          VERSION = 13.1
          CODENAME = Bottle
          # /etc/SuSE-release is deprecated and will be removed in the future, use /etc/os-release instead

Comment

I think Ubuntu in general is on the decline, not just on OpenBenchmarking.org.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: OpenBenchmarking.org: Ubuntu Prepares To Be Overtaken By Arch Linux

For the first time in the history of OpenBenchmarking.org, Ubuntu Linux is about to be overtaken by another distribution as the most popular environment for conducting tests...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgwNDE
              Dude, what took you so long?

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                openSUSE has /etc/os-release nowadays and I think it never used /etc/lsb-release, but had its own /etc/SuSE-release which
                All major distributions before the common adoption of os-release had their distro specific file but /etc/lsb-release is typically a optional package that many distributions do not ship as part of the default installation. Same goes for openSUSE which does have a package that provides lsb-release but not out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  It seems there's a corresponding move from Ubuntu to *Linux in July, about 12% by eye - the last three months are practically mirrored. This points to only a few organizations moving in unison, for why would that many users all switch at the same time? And July too, if they were unhappy about the latest-at-the-time Ubuntu release, they would've switched in April or May.
                  I get why that happens, of course this site is not representive but that its a good hint that in general ubuntu looses users, how much exactly we dont know and of course that is no last absolute proof of that but its very likely. Especialy the absolute numbers I dont see representive, if in reallity ubuntu has 30 or 40% users it would be still the most used distro, that leads to many developers have to use it, and they often use several VMs and servers with that os to test stuff, and they have to test stuff becasue they develop it. so if you are the biggest single player in a field 80-90 % of the industrie moves to you automaticly, becasue business are 99-100% opportunistic.

But maybe I am wrong a ubuntu really has around 50% users, we will never now becauset there are no real numbers. But u can messure trends, but of course a benchmarking site is not so good for that. But still one at least hint in this direction.

I really like arch I belive that arch and fedora are the best 2 distros, if you dont want to use very old software or 50 ppas. and even with ppa ubuntu has big weaknesses, starting from not deinstalling automaticly old kernels, having no tmpfs activated on default and not to mention all the new retarded stuff like mir and unity.

So I wonder a bit, why fedora does not have more users, I tested fedora and arch and come to a point where fedora was slighty the better distro (having earlier versions of mesa 9.2 without AUR where u could compile it and fail with it most likely), which made vdpau possible with amd gpus (not all of em), and also faster access to a compiled xbmc13 version (beta or so), and had subjectively the more responsive less buggy gnome experience in fc19 or fc20 at the time I tested.
                  U even can use it rolling with rawhide. So I wonder why fedora gets not used so much, I guess its a image problem, archlinux has some geek coolness, other than that u can have other focuses, but fedora and arch are pretty close and also similar in many regards, so I wonder a bit why fedora gets so less acceptence.

And dont bring new releases as a problem, u can easily switch to fc21 yet or pinn some packages or use coprs etc. I used to install ubuntu next most of the time in alpha time, becuase it bored me to hell, even fc21 is pretty late (even they never gave a accept goal time where they commited to release at that point, but more a when its done aproach), it has the same kernel then the recent ubuntu release, same firefox version and even same gnome version rofl

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    It seems there's a corresponding move from Ubuntu to *Linux in July, about 12% by eye - the last three months are practically mirrored. This points to only a few organizations moving in unison, for why would that many users all switch at the same time? And July too, if they were unhappy about the latest-at-the-time Ubuntu release, they would've switched in April or May.

FORGOT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION:

I think its normal that people not rush to move away many used lts, 14.04 gets a bit old and I guess when they would have to upgrade they start to change. Most will install a fedora as dualboot, play a while around and if they have some free time or something and they get used to it a bit they make the final switch. Most people will not switch on day0 after ubuntu did something "wrong" and I think the lost in the systemd battle also showed them that canonical gets weaker or something. And maybe they looked out of their small cage what this systemd is all about, when debian thinks thats better, and it even kind of prooved that canonical could not compete with its upstart they failed, they could not stay even with quality and features. Mabye some even tried out the last lts 16.04? and did feel after some months that this goes into wrong direction...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                      I think I will never switch back to a debian based distro pacman is so damn fast it makes my spinning harddrive feel like a solid sate drive , in comparison apt is slow and sluggish... did I mentioned slow?...
                      pacman is dog slow if you compare to apk-tools in Alpine Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X