X.Org Women Outreach Program Only Turns Up Two Applicants So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Szzz View Post
    Why do we need these special programs. No one prevents women from studying CS, having IT jobs, etc. If they are minority in this area than they probably don't want to do it.
    Because tech is a boys club that is reinforced by societal norms. Or put more simply girls are told from birth to act girly and not to smart. And boys are told to lead and be smart and that you should be attracted to the dumb blonde.

That said the queer/trans community needs to get a lid on the number of self identifications, I'm gay and I care about their issues but I have no clue what these terms mean half the time.

Also is it possible that X is a heaping pile of c**p and no one wants to touch the code base?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      So u discreminating me by not taking me serious because of my english skills...
      Nope, I'm not taking you serious for a whole bunch of other reasons.

The white male woman-enslavers are not worth to even argue with.
      Now you're getting it.

Basicly u proove u are a racist,
      I don't think that word means what you think it means.

because u dont take anyone serious with a perfect english.
      Correction: I don't take anyone serious who spouts blatantly bigoted, batshit insane rants.

Comment

• Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
        Because tech is a boys club that is reinforced by societal norms. Or put more simply girls are told from birth to act girly and not to smart. And boys are told to lead and be smart and that you should be attracted to the dumb blonde.
        Not exactly, Tech is a Geek/Nerd club, and like most geek clubs predominantly male, but also socially shunned (at least in the US). I mean let's stop and think about this, are any of the following considered a role model by normal society?:
        • Tabletop Roleplayer
        • LARPers
        • Geek Card Gamers (Magic the Gathering and such)
        • Video Gamers
        • Anime/Manga Otaku
        • Furries
        • Trekkies
        • Whovians
        • $OtherScifiFans
        • Faerie/Fantasy Fans
        • Engineers
        • Programmers

The answer is a resounding no. In fact all of those groups are looked down upon my society and by and large deemed a bunch of overweight basement dwelling losers who have no life, and for the otaku and furries there's also sexual implications attached. This causes an undeserved ew-factor to be also slapped on top of them, because society can't get over the fact that rule 34 is a thing and that if there's a fandom there's going to be a small fraction of whatever fandom it is fapping to whatever they're a fandom of. Further there's always going to be a market selling to the fandom-fappers because sex sells.

Instead society pushes three role models:
        • Actors/Actresses
        • Jocks (In particular those from Foot Ball and Baseball)
        • Mainstream "Musicians" such as Justin Bieber and Miley Sirus

You'll note something about this list, All three fall into the category of mainstream entertainers, and none of the three push for acting in an intelligent or rational way, in fact quite the opposite. So no boys aren't told to be smart, they're being told to become Jocks and to be obsessed with sports. I will grant you though that they're told to be attracted to the toothpick thin dumb slutty blond with giant breast implants.

Also another thing to point out: when we're considering a high school or university who gets most of the money? The answer is the sports team and in particular the foot ball team. On the other hand when was the last time you heard of a high profile school sponsored robot wars tournament? How about a coding tournament? How about a large fandom event? Let's shoot for the moon here, how about anything that doesn't fall under the categories of: Drama, Music, Sports, or Holiday/Seasonal events? Other than possibly the lackluster "science fairs" that occur at the lower grades my guess is that the answer here is a resounding no.

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
        Also is it possible that X is a heaping pile of c**p and no one wants to touch the code base?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44 is worth a watch on that point

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          Not exactly, Tech is a Geek/Nerd club, and like most geek clubs predominantly male, but also socially shunned (at least in the US). I mean let's stop and think about this, are any of the following considered a role model by normal society?:
          • Tabletop Roleplayer
          • LARPers
          • Geek Card Gamers (Magic the Gathering and such)
          • Video Gamers
          • Anime/Manga Otaku
          • Furries
          • Trekkies
          • Whovians
          • $OtherScifiFans
          • Faerie/Fantasy Fans
          • Engineers
          • Programmers

The answer is a resounding no. In fact all of those groups are looked down upon my society and by and large deemed a bunch of overweight basement dwelling losers who have no life, and for the otaku and furries there's also sexual implications attached. This causes an undeserved ew-factor to be also slapped on top of them, because society can't get over the fact that rule 34 is a thing and that if there's a fandom there's going to be a small fraction of whatever fandom it is fapping to whatever they're a fandom of. Further there's always going to be a market selling to the fandom-fappers because sex sells.

Instead society pushes three role models:
          • Actors/Actresses
          • Jocks (In particular those from Foot Ball and Baseball)
          • Mainstream "Musicians" such as Justin Bieber and Miley Sirus

You'll note something about this list, All three fall into the category of mainstream entertainers, and none of the three push for acting in an intelligent or rational way, in fact quite the opposite. So no boys aren't told to be smart, they're being told to become Jocks and to be obsessed with sports. I will grant you though that they're told to be attracted to the toothpick thin dumb slutty blond with giant breast implants.

Also another thing to point out: when we're considering a high school or university who gets most of the money? The answer is the sports team and in particular the foot ball team. On the other hand when was the last time you heard of a high profile school sponsored robot wars tournament? How about a coding tournament? How about a large fandom event? Let's shoot for the moon here, how about anything that doesn't fall under the categories of: Drama, Music, Sports, or Holiday/Seasonal events? Other than possibly the lackluster "science fairs" that occur at the lower grades my guess is that the answer here is a resounding no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44 is worth a watch on that point
          Well said, and thanks for the link.
          Hi

Comment

• Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
            Or put more simply girls are told from birth to act girly and not to smart. And boys are told to lead and be smart and that you should be attracted to the dumb blonde.
            I never felt like I'm being told to be smart. Maybe by teachers but in popular culture the smart ones are often ugly and socially awkward. If anything peer pressure is trying to keep you away from pursuits like science or technology.

And nobody has to tell me who to find attractive (after all the lesson didn't take with you either, eh?), my genes already take care of that. Beautiful women being dumb is another trope...

That said the queer/trans community needs to get a lid on the number of self identifications, I'm gay and I care about their issues but I have no clue what these terms mean half the time.
            Yeah it's getting pretty ridiculous.

Comment

• sadly there is no block message system in this forum?

I find it funny that feminist are always the most at least verbal violant (and sometimes even more that that), most intollerant ignorant people out there. Ideologies....

Have fun...

Comment

I find it funny that feminist are always the most at least verbal violant (and sometimes even more that that), most intollerant ignorant people out there. Ideologies....
                They have very poor problem solving skills. Much like radical muslims.

Comment

• Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                  They have very poor problem solving skills. Much like radical muslims.
                  If you'll shut the fuck up for a second, modern feminism wants you to read her lips:

Comment

Oh right, that explains why so many MRA have been bullied into silence with threats of violence. Oh wait, it is the feminists who are being bullied into silence with rape and death threats.

Comment

• In your universe MRAs are not bullied into silence? It may not be with threats of violence but instead threats to ruin one's life with other methods, big fucking deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X