X.Org Is Looking For Some Female Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    No Evidence Whatsoever by which we mean her ex set up this http://thezoepost.wordpress.com/ supported by chatlogs. Now if you want to claim that the evidence could have been faked or whatever go right ahead but here's your evidence right here.
    I look forward to your railing at every single male game developer who's ever bought a drink for a journalist as evidence of CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!! Or look at every single relationship inside tech and claim that those are somehow corrupt too. But I'm not holding my breath, because the fact you've chosen this one person, out of the entire history of the industry to target, speaks volumes.

Comment

• Back on topic and my thoughts on the subject.

1) There is a huge gender imbalance in the tech world, this can't be healthy and does need to be addressed

2) "Women only" positions is not the best way to achieve this. One of the complaints already mentioned in this thread is that women often get less respect and their opinions undervalued compared to male colleagues. If a woman is hired--because she's a woman-- how do you think her colleagues will view her? This sends out entirely the wrong message, it's saying "Women cannot get jobs on their own merit and need a step up". which helps nobody and simply perpetuates the notion that tech is a boy's club. It's actually downright detrimental to what it's trying to achieve. By enforcing gender divides like this you re-focus people's attention on gender and steer both men and women towards thinking that women aren't as able or capable as men to make it on their own. Women then have to work twice as hard just to prove they were hired on merit and not to fill a quota! Nobody wins out of that.

3) Surely in any job the person with the most experience should get it regardless of gender, race, sexuality. "Positive" discrimination is still discrimination, and as evidenced even in this thread, creates resentment for those being discriminated against for being the wrong gender.

4) It's an issue of social attitude and has little to do with either opportunity or ability. Giving women more opportunities does not really help that because men and women already have the same opportunities. Fewer women than men do computer science degrees, that is the problem. We need to be encouraging women at the educational level not in the job market.

Comment

• Originally posted by gutigen View Post
        Just like I'm in no position to tell women anything (I'm just stating my opinion on that matter), you are in no position to telling me not too
        There is a difference between lecturing people on what they should and should not find offensive, and pointing out that nobody has the authority to tell others what they should and should not find offensive.

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
        How about you address my points with arguments instead of trying to make me sound sexist (which I'm not and any person with basic comprehensive reading skills could understand what I meant in my previous post) by twisting what I've said?
        "women should find X offensive" isn't an argument, it is a baseless assertion.

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
        Oh and btw, women with balls (or if you prefer - powerful vagina) achiev everything they want, those without usually whine at social media about how oppressed they are by man-pigs.
        First, again, the fact that you consistently conflate women being brave with women having male anatomy is part of the problem here. It is basically saying "women only succeed when they act like men".

Second, this is simply, categorically false. A lot of women, and men for that matter, who have been extremely successful nevertheless complain about all the additional problems that gender puts in the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: X.Org Is Looking For Some Female Help

The X.Org Foundation is looking for one female to fund in the months ahead to do some sort of work for the open-source project...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4MDg
          Really? Why not ask for a hermaphrodite, or maybe a lesbian, or a female transgendered? Or maybe ask specifically for a male homosexual?

This is so wrong on so many levels, I am aghast and at a loss of words to describe it. Please stop. Dismantle X.org already - I thought they ran out of money and got acquired by someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by axero View Post
            In those movies, there are "bad-guys" and there are "good-guys". Indeed you see bad-guys being disrespectful to others, but you never see "good-guys" be disrespectful unless the intention is to make him look ridiculous or it is warranted by the plot. I mean if the batman is disrespectful against the joker, who cares? It is warranted.

For example in the latest 'Thor' movie, Jane Foster is quite disrespectful against Thor on several occasions, and Jane Foster is not a "bad-guy", she is a good "role-model" that little pre-teen and teenage girls look up to while swooning over Chris Hemsworth when they watch these movies together with their families. Now in the next coming movies, Thor is actually going to be a female. Thor is based upon Nord mythology, and it is kind of weird how they have deviated from it. Such as letting Heimdall being a black guy. In the fantasy movie Transcendence, the female main character screams at a scientist and tells him to get out. I can go on, the examples are many...

I didn't pay attention to these things at first but after watching how these American movies affected the behavior of women in North-Korea after a Japanese Journalist smuggled some USB-sticks of such movies through the border, it really opened up my eyes on how these movies affect people and tend to demoralize them. Especially those people who are not as, ... gifted. It really made me think. Sure, NK may not be a model country in terms of politics but otoh it surely is not as bad as the western media depicts it. But that is another discussion that I doubt belongs here.

You are welcome to come up with counter-examples but you are more likely to find examples that confirm what I just said.
            Wow. Just.... Wow.

I'm going to have to take a screenshot of this comment. It's a hall-of-famer. In 6 months i won't believe i ever saw this if i don't save it for posterity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              No Evidence Whatsoever by which we mean her ex set up this http://thezoepost.wordpress.com/ supported by chatlogs. Now if you want to claim that the evidence could have been faked or whatever go right ahead but here's your evidence right here.
              I don't see any evidence she slept with anyone in order to get good reviews. Just that she cheated on her boyfriend and lied to him about it. (Hardly something she would be the first to do, by the way. Lots of cheaters out there.)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                There is a difference between lecturing people on what they should and should not find offensive, and pointing out that nobody has the authority to tell others what they should and should not find offensive.

"women should find X offensive" isn't an argument, it is a baseless assertion.

First, again, the fact that you consistently conflate women being brave with women having male anatomy is part of the problem here. It is basically saying "women only succeed when they act like men".

Second, this is simply, categorically false. A lot of women, and men for that matter, who have been extremely successful nevertheless complain about all the additional problems that gender puts in the way.
                All your points have been already raised by others and I did addressed them, so please check my previous comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                  Really? Why not ask for a hermaphrodite, or maybe a lesbian, or a female transgendered? Or maybe ask specifically for a male homosexual?
                  Please read about OPW first before you comment. "it's open to anyone as long as they were '...assigned female at birth and anyone who identifies as a woman, genderqueer, genderfluid, or genderfree regardless of gender presentation or assigned sex at birth.'"

Anyways, this is not exclusionary, there is still EVoC open to everyone. This is strictly an attempt to be more inclusionary and address an obvious lack of diversity.

This thread is so wrong on so many levels, I am aghast and at a loss of words to describe it. Please stop.
                  there, I fixed it for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by daniels View Post
                    I look forward to your railing at every single male game developer who's ever bought a drink for a journalist as evidence of CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!! Or look at every single relationship inside tech and claim that those are somehow corrupt too. But I'm not holding my breath, because the fact you've chosen this one person, out of the entire history of the industry to target, speaks volumes.
                    Is this really the response you want to go with... really? We were discussing Zoe Quinn and I wasn't the one to originally bring her up. Nhl_ll did as an attempt to show misogamy, when she is the worst possible example to choose for that, and is really more a perfect example for the counterargument that there's not, due to all the lying, and outright bullying she's been able to get away with (See her stunts with Fine Young Capitalists, and Wizardchan, and DMCAing videos giving her game bad reviews on youtube). Further she didn't just buy some journalist a drink, from what I've read on the matter she's slept with at least 2 and possibly more. Is there misogamy in the gaming industry? Maybe, but Zoe Quinn isn't an example to point to for proof of it.

As well any gamer knows that the game journalism industry is absolutely corrupt, IGN, Kotaku, and other big gaming journals are well known for shilling bad games, which is why I really only pay attention to Metacritic and TotalBiscuit at this point. Zoe Quinn just sets the bar of their corruption to an all new low.

Comment

• Originally posted by robclark View Post
                      Please read about OPW first before you comment. "it's open to anyone as long as they were '...assigned female at birth and anyone who identifies as a woman, genderqueer, genderfluid, or genderfree regardless of gender presentation or assigned sex at birth.'"

Anyways, this is not exclusionary, there is still EVoC open to everyone. This is strictly an attempt to be more inclusionary and address an obvious lack of diversity.

there, I fixed it for you.
                      If my organization joins.... the "Outreach program for persecuted Christians"... can I advertise that I am looking for authentic Christians to fill the position? Can that pass legal muster - I think that's my question here.

Where, by the way, does it say that we must have diversity? In the same building our office was up till a few months ago, there's a rather successful internet marketing company that is full of hot women.... I don't see them advertising exclusively for women... nor for men. They just advertise the position, but end up hiring more women than men. So, should we now end up complaining to them they're not diverse enough?

This politically correct disease that has gotten America's moral/social compass flipped in the wrong direction, has got to -STOP-. PLEASE USE LANGUAGE THAT DOESN'T IDENTIFY ANY PREFERENCE OTHER THAN THE SKILL SET. And then in the interviews, if you like the female candidate, hire her over the male - that decision can stand up in court - we ARE allowed to discriminate who we hire as a company.

For Christ's sake..... God help us.
                      Last edited by MartinN; 05 September 2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X