Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Is Looking For Some Female Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X.Org Is Looking For Some Female Help

    Phoronix: X.Org Is Looking For Some Female Help

    The X.Org Foundation is looking for one female to fund in the months ahead to do some sort of work for the open-source project...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4MDg

  • #2
    Fucking hell. This has got to stop. This is the worst kind of gender discrimination attacking directly on one group of people, based on their sex/gender identity. Basically they say you are free to have any sex assigned to you at birth and you are free to identify as anything you may want, EXCEPT you must not be genetically male AND identify as a male at the same time.

    Imagine going to a job interview and being told that you may get the job if you are willing to put on a dress and tell them that you don't quite feel like a male all of a sudden.
    Last edited by M1kkko; 09-04-2014, 07:39 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      Fucking hell. This has got to stop. This is the worst kind of gender discrimination attacking directly on one group of people, based on their sex/gender identity. Basically they say you are free to have any sex assigned to you at birth and you are free to identify as anything you may want, EXCEPT you must not be genetically male AND identify as a male at the same time.

      Imagine going to a job interview and being told that you may get the job if you are willing to put on a dress and tell them that you don't quite feel like a male all of a sudden.
      As Michael said, everyone can apply for the EVoC for students, no matter their gender or ethnicity. Please stop seeing discrimination where there is none!

      Right now, meetings at XDC are mostly composed of white-middle class men (See LWN's photo of XDC2012.). Somehow, we must be discriminating against women and they may feel rejected by our community. We want to send a message that they are more than welcomed and we will take actions to help them in case they get harassed.

      We are willing to solve this ethnicity issue. Let's make FLOSS development a happy place for everyone!
      Last edited by MuPuF; 09-04-2014, 07:59 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
        As Michael said, everyone can apply for the EVoC for students, no matter their gender or ethnicity. Please stop seeing discrimination where there is none!

        Right now, meetings at XDC are mostly composed of white-middle class men. Somehow, we must be discriminating against women and they may feel rejected by our community. We want to send a message that they are more than welcomed and we will take actions to help them in case they get harassed.

        We are willing to solve this ethnicity issue. Let's make FLOSS development a happy place for everyone!
        Who the hell stops it for being a happy place for everyone (that has coding skills).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
          we will take actions to help them in case they get harassed.!
          Please see our anti-harassment policy. It is not limited to women, it is for everyone!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
            As Michael said, everyone can apply for the EVoC for students, no matter their gender or ethnicity. Please stop seeing discrimination where there is none!

            Right now, meetings at XDC are mostly composed of white-middle class men. Somehow, we must be discriminating against women and they may feel rejected by our community.
            Computer Science students at universities are mostly white-middle class men. Men and women simply have different interests. Even when you study Business Administration which is often 50:50 split of male/female students, those who specialize in Banking & Finance are almost 100% male. If you look into a HRM class you'll more women than men. That's just how people are. If you look at Kindergarten teachers they're almost all female. They're not discriminating against men. Men are simply not interested in doing the job.
            Last edited by blackout23; 09-04-2014, 08:06 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Who the hell stops it for being a happy place for everyone (that has coding skills).
              We don't know, but statistics don't lie. It is highly improbable that so few women would be interested in this project. Why are you aggressive?

              Why are you making a distinction for people who have coding skills or not? Everyone should have a happy time! They may not get funded if they don't fill the requirements but that doesn't mean we don't have to be friendly with everyone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Computer Science students at universities are mostly white-middle class men. Men and women simply have different interests. Even when you study Business Administration which is often 50:50 split of male/female students, those who specialize in Banking & Finance are almost 100% male. If you look into a HRM class you'll more women than men. That's just how people are. If you look at Kindergarten teachers they're almost all female. They're not discriminating against men. Men are simply not interested in doing the job.
                Maybe they are not interested because it is not socially acceptable to do it? It also doesn't explain why some fields got deserted by one gender and got replaced the other. Women used to be a majority of the workforce in computer science after the second world war, why would have they suddenly decided it wasn't interesting anymore? Your analysis may be a little simplistic.

                In any case, we are not taking any of the freedom or funding opportunity from anyone. We are just sending a message, no need to tell people what to do based on their gender

                Comment


                • #9
                  I understand the argument that doing this only highlights the problems women face in the tech field, but, the main issue is women are chronically and heavily discouraged from being in any tech field in the first place. I've known 2 women from IBM an 1 from Sprint who had jobs with 6-figure incomes, lots of benefits, and business trips around the country [the US] or around the world. All 3 of them have commented how often people talk down to them simply because of their gender, including other women. All 3 of them had a strong willpower though and didn't let stuff like that get to them, and they proved all the naysayers wrong. The average person isn't like that, and many girls are discouraged to get into sciences very early on. Having a program that explicitly seeks out women to prove that they're legitimately worth something is a great thing in my opinion, especially considering contributiors in the open source community get a lot more name recognition than someone behind a corporation.

                  I'm not a feminist, or a female. I just think we're still several hundred years behind as a global society (and not just toward women).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Rofl this article. Michael, you're free to use the word "woman" more often you know.

                    The only thing missing is the caption below the picture of his wife: "Exhibit A: a female".

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X