The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    I don't think that such a transformation would work.
    In the unlikely event that the GNOME Foundation should decide to no longer be the administrative organistation for OPW it is more likely that some other organistation will take over. The Ada Foundation perhaps.

Also, GNOME, as in the project, is way too large and important to go without a supporting foundation.

Cheers,
    _
    Gnome should become project ran by women 100% and set an example how women develop software.

Comment

GNOME, as in the project, is way too large and important to go without a supporting foundation.
      Gnome is formally a GNU project with the FSF as supporting organization.
      GNOME Foundation is a sockpuppet installed by two corporations to undermine the will of the community.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Gnome is formally a GNU project with the FSF as supporting organization.
        True, hadn't thought of that.
        But it might still be worthwhile to have a dedicated organistional entity of their own. E.g. makes it easier in communications when the name of the foundation is closely relatable to the name of the project.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        GNOME Foundation is a sockpuppet installed by two corporations to undermine the will of the community.
        Never heard that before.
        Isn't the foundation governed by decision vote on by its membership which is open to all members of the GNOME contributor community?

Cheers,
        _

Comment

• Originally posted by tarceri View Post
          You claim we need one dominant distro and call for Gnome to die. Yet you then complain that Ubuntu is shoving Unity down your throat what do you think would happen if there was only one distro? Why would they bother supporting more than one desktop? Wouldnt that just be fragmentation the other thing your arguing against?

There is a difference between not giving a flying f**k about Gnome and how they screwed the pooch with Gnome 3 and the need to get everyone behind one distro.
          I make the distinction that Distro fragmentation is terrible, but DE choice should preserved. My stance on Gnome/Unity is not my stance on other DE's such as Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, MATE, Xfce...etc. The DE fragmentation can be resolved via rewrite for Wayland.

Gnome/Unity ignored it's userbase and went forward with changes people largly did not want or need. Ubuntu/Cannonical went against the grain and went forward with MIR.

One minute your saying choice it good then you go on to say its bad.
          You misunderstood me, or I failed to be clear.

I'm sorry if my stance on things came off a bit confusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by moilami View Post
            Yeah, they could change the focus of their doing completely. I think that would be better, and then let someone begin to focus on Gnome.
            there is already a foundation to get girls into IT
            A former not-for-profit which supported women in open technology and culture through events, codes of conduct, and ally skills training

not that there is anybody or anything stopping girls in that respect

PS Ada Lovelace was the first computer programmer, and has set a good part of the modern computer theory

Comment

Never heard that before.
              Isn't the foundation governed by decision vote on by its membership which is open to all members of the GNOME contributor community?
              I have to partially correct myself: The Gnome Foundation was not founded by just two corporations. It was, however, founded as ?consortium of several traditional IT companies, like IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Sun Microsystems, as well as Linux companies like Helix Code, Red Hat and Eazel?
              Now, next, and beyond: Tracking need-to-know trends at the intersection of business and technology

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                I have to partially correct myself: The Gnome Foundation was not founded by just two corporations. It was, however, founded as ?consortium of several traditional IT companies, like IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Sun Microsystems, as well as Linux companies like Helix Code, Red Hat and Eazel?
                http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/.../08/18/rt.html
                That's pretty much the same as the Linux Foundation (see member list here), yet I have an hard time to call that "a sockpuppet installed by corporations to undermine the will of the community"... or maybe I am missing the point you are trying to make completely?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  You won't get that situation solved by delivering more victims to the offender, you have to boot out the offenders. Give them the finger and the women will come from alone.
                  To boot out the offenders, you need first to tell everyone that molesting female developers is bad, to bring awareness about the issue of machismo. After that, you will be able to assemble a group and kick out any sexual offenders you find in a FOSS developing context, by yourself. An OPW can help a lot with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by quasipedia View Post
                    That's pretty much the same as the Linux Foundation (see member list here), yet I have an hard time to call that "a sockpuppet installed by corporations to undermine the will of the community"... or maybe I am missing the point you are trying to make completely?
                    My point is that Gnome, officially a GNU project, has a community-based support foundation and that's the FSF. As such GNOME Foundation running out of money because the corporate backers apparently no longer care as much, is IMO no problem. Let GNOME Foundation die and the FSF take its role again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                      To boot out the offenders, you need first to tell everyone that molesting female developers is bad, to bring awareness about the issue of machismo. After that, you will be able to assemble a group and kick out any sexual offenders you find in a FOSS developing context, by yourself. An OPW can help a lot with that.
                      OPWs can indeed be helpful, but it makes more sense to have such programs after you have created an environment where female developers want to work in the first place. An OPW that introduces female developers into a hostile environment is next to useless. I would also not just "tell everyone that molesting female developers is bad". Sexual harassment is (at least in western countries) a crime and should be handled as such.

I personally find it pretty weird that in 2014 there needs to be a code of conduct how to cooperate with female developers, especially in open source communities. Do we need the same about religion, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, ..., or is this only a gender problem?

Comment

Working...
                      X