Richard Stallman Calls LLVM A "Terrible Setback"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Truth
    TL;DR: My name is artivision and I give my full support to the continued abuses of freedom by legislation such as the Patriot Act, and invasion of privacy by groups like the NSA and TSA.

Because after all, gotta protect 'murrica from dem terrywrists right? Yeehaw George dubya Stallman to the rescue.

That is exactly who you are!!! Free will is just a small part of freedom and human rights. And has an end if you want to call it freedom: You cannot use your free will to crush another person's freedom!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dharc View Post
      BSD is dying? are you crazy? Apple collaborate with BSD codes, Android has many BSD components (like Bionic libc, look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionic_%28software%29)
      Guys, the permissive licenses have more freedom because they are "donations" for who wants. If a company want, we are unlucky, if FSF want, we are lucky.
      Permissive codes can be relicenced to proprietary or "free", FSF could made this, but no! Stallman is too proud to take advantage of BSD code and contribute to upstream and relicence your code under GPL...See the Hurd, why GNU needs a hybrid kernel when the majority Unices kernels are monolithic? If Hurd have problems to be developed, fork the FreeBSD kernel and relicence under GPL (and obviously contribute with upstream)!
      Softwares or licenses are free when they respects the 4 freedoms, and BSD license do it! FSF wantseveryone colaborate with your own code but can't colaborate with permissive BUT FREE code! Hypocrisy!
      In a society where free softwares reign, GPL is not necessary, that's why permissive but FREE licences are the future...because the human will be more honests. So please, no licence war, just contribute with free software and free society because Stallman does not use 100% software under gpl .
      You have not responded to my point, I never claimed all permissively licensed code is dying.
      I was saying the BSD OS's are dying, as would Linux if it was also permissively licensed. The fact is most Linux improvements come from corporations, while some commits may have been donated willingly, we know historically this is far from a given.

Also the BSD licence is a free software licence, and I never claimed otherwise, yet you continue to paint the GPL as non-free.

Comment

TL;DR: My name is artivision and I give my full support to the continued abuses of freedom by legislation such as the Patriot Act, and invasion of privacy by groups like the NSA and TSA.

Because after all, gotta protect 'murrica from dem terrywrists right? Yeehaw George dubya Stallman to the rescue.
        I'm not even sure you're actually informed, regarding the process in which permissive code is subsequently closed. I mean just really think about this for one second ok, big corporations LOVE BSD licensed code... and HATE GPL licensed code.

Also do you actually know which views Richard Stallman represents? Which right-wing blog has been misrepresenting Stallman in such a way? Stallman strongly supports the efforts of Edward Snowden, and advocates for NSA opposition.

It's ok if you disagree about the strategic benefits of reciprocal licensing, but to paint Stallman as the machine is plainly disgusting.
        Last edited by techzilla; 03 February 2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Found a Video of Stallman, He opposes NSA. Stop painting him as the machine.

Snowden and Assange besieged but not defeated, while privacy has a better chance now than it had before

Comment

• Originally posted by techzilla View Post
            I'm not even sure you're actually informed enough on how permissive code is subsequently closed. I mean just really think about this for one second ok, Big corporations love BSD licensed code... and HATE GPL licensed code.

Also do you even know who Stallman is? Which right-wing blog misrepresents Stallman in such a way? Stallman strongly supports the efforts of Edward Snowden, and advocates for NSA opposition.

It's ok if you disagree about the simply strategic benefits of GPL, but to paint Stallman as the machine is plainly disgusting.
            Hi, techzilla, I think nobody officially introduced you to the internet. Sadly, there is a thing in the internet called troll. They have fun by provoking people and getting their attention. Usually, they make boldly aggressive claims, or plainly idiotic, and engage in repetitive discussions where they don't post any arguments, or very few. They like to make clear theirs is the one and only truth, or that they are the leader, the boss, everything that might get on the nerves of people, usually by using a nick that makes reference of this. In case you haven't figured out yet, Truth is a troll, and one of the most obvious ones. I'd like to suggest you to ignore his posts, instead of giving him the satisfaction of making you waste your time.
            Please, believe me here, as I'm not someone who likes to argue in terms of accusing all of the ones who disagree with me of trolling. You can check this out in my posts, I'm as respectful as I can.
            Also, sorry for the sarcasm of the beginning of this post, but I have some problems understanding why you keep answering him. All of the rest of the post was serious, actually. Really, don't get on your nerves, that's what he/she wants from you.

Regards,
            mrugiero.

Comment

• Before anyone tries any more of this "GPL is freedom!!" "No, BSD is FREEDOM!!!", "NO, YOU ARE WRONG, GPL IS FREEDOM!!!!" silliness, they would do well to read this. A very fair and balanced account of how both GPL and BSD licences are useful to Free Software, Open Standards, and Innovation and PROGRESS in general.

Enough of the fanboyism.

Comment

Is that the best response your GPL masters could come up with, a flouncy "no u"? Pathetic.

Wake up sheeple, look at the language of the GPL and those that justify it, then take a look at the Patriot Act and the justifications used there.

When you're done self-harming from the intense cognitive dissonance caused by being against the NSA while supporting the GPL, embrace true freedom.

Thank you for proving me right by spewing forth the typical FSF propaganda and fearmongering.

"B-b-but what if the corporations" == "B-b-but what if the terrorists".

Stallman supports the NSA, TSA, Patriot Act and all attempts to restrict our freedoms, he'd love nothing more than to see Edward Snowden waterboarded and executed, he'll deny it though because he's a false-flag shill design to exploit the gullible. Saint Ignucius indeed.

Comment

• Oh, great, Phoronix is turning into 4chan?

Comment

• Yes. One embedded image out of 200 posts is 4chan. Yup.

Comment

• Originally posted by techzilla View Post
                      You have not responded to my point, I never claimed all permissively licensed code is dying.
                      I was saying the BSD OS's are dying, as would Linux if it was also permissively licensed.
                      I told about it. BSDs are the Unix dad, it won't die because OS X, Linux, GNU, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Windows (I know, it's not Unix) depends on BSDs. OS X is almost-BSD, GNU/Linux has copied some wi-fi drivers from OpenBSD, the UNIX OSs have so much code from BSDs, Windows copied the TCP/IP stack from BSD, so...you are wrong.

The fact is most Linux improvements come from corporations, while some commits may have been donated willingly, we know historically this is far from a given.
                      Because of that Linux today is a shit if it isn't Android. Companies are helping Linux because of Android, there isn't any BSD OS for mobiles (iOS is not BSD!), mobile is fashion now.
                      GNU/Linux today is shit, because today GNU/Linux = Ubuntu, there isn't alternative! Ubuntu's fanboys hate when their OS receive a critique or when Canonical receive, they expand Ubuntu like LINUX IS THE BEST, but when you speak about a non-Ubuntu distro they say GO TO UBUNTU, THE BEST DISTRO or YOU ARE NOTE USING UBUNTU, IF YOU WANT SOMETHING YOU NEED UBUNTU. Debian doesnt' exists and Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, Salckware, etc too. So the preference is non-Linux systems like BSD because theirs users have much more knowledge about operating systems and including GNU/Linux than the Ubuntu-like-users.

Also the BSD licence is a free software licence, and I never claimed otherwise, yet you continue to paint the GPL as non-free.
                      No, I said both are free!

If you like to acquire more knowledge go to BSDs because you can't depend on noob users with Windows/OSX/Ubuntu mentality...or go to Solaris

Comment

Working...
                      X