Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I am going to abadon GNOME 3.
    I used it over two months daily and its memory usage, absence of any advantages over an old Gnome 1 (yes, really), high demand for resources make up for it.
    But the positive thing on the other side - its at least not so useless as Unity.

Comment

• Originally posted by brosis View Post
      I think I am going to abadon GNOME 3.
      I used it over two months daily and its memory usage, absence of any advantages over an old Gnome 1 (yes, really), high demand for resources make up for it.
      But the positive thing on the other side - its at least not so useless as Unity.
      You could try Cinnamon. I found it to be lighter than both KDE and Gnome 3, and still has that "good old gnome feel". Another option is Mate if you want to stay on the spirit of Gnome 2/GTK+2 desktop. Both have been reviewed as less hungry than the main desktops in various Internet sites.

And returning to topic, that's why I still trying to found a logic why RHEL went Gnome 3 for enterprise clients.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Well maybe RH have a better grasp than Joe Sixpack armed with top?
        Running multiwindow is PIA in Gnome 3, or how do you do it. Its fat, low functional and hard to change. Its okay for tablets though, but resource consumption leave a lot to be desired.

Comment

Running multiwindow is PIA in Gnome 3, or how do you do it. Its fat, low functional and hard to change. Its okay for tablets though, but resource consumption leave a lot to be desired.
          Lets not forget that GNOME Shell, the raison d'etre of GNOME 3 defaults to the Classic Mode in RHEL 7. I guess when it comes to the crunch, a default GNOME 3 set up isn't good enough for paying customers, hardly surprising.

Comment

absence of any advantages over an old Gnome 1 (yes, really)
            AFAIR GNOME 1 didn't have proper unicode support, since that came only with GTK2. If all you need is ASCII, fine, but a lot of people need much more.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
              And KDE is getting better each day

http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/20...-memory-usage/

Look at the last table picture.
              KDE is a POS. I have most problems when the desktop is KDE. For some reason, it's the only DE in which my smartphone won't work. I also have countless crashes of web browsers with KDE. I bet that guy doing the comparison test had various settings on KDE disabled. KDE is also called bloat and slow. It has too many damn 'widgets' and other crap, too. When I test live cds, it's mostly a KDE-centric distro that has something that doesn't work. If you don't like Gnome 3, then use Cinnamon or MATE. KDE sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                You could try Cinnamon. I found it to be lighter than both KDE and Gnome 3, and still has that "good old gnome feel". Another option is Mate if you want to stay on the spirit of Gnome 2/GTK+2 desktop. Both have been reviewed as less hungry than the main desktops in various Internet sites.

And returning to topic, that's why I still trying to found a logic why RHEL went Gnome 3 for enterprise clients.
                Don't forget Xfce, it's the desktop Debian is defaulting to now instead of Gnome.

Comment

• I won't use distros which use KDE as the default DE. This is how KDE fixes bugs....

"*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of blah, blah, blah.****

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    AFAIR GNOME 1 didn't have proper unicode support, since that came only with GTK2. If all you need is ASCII, fine, but a lot of people need much more.
                    Lets not cherry-pick.
                    I need a lower memory footprint.
                    More tuneability and features (like inability to create new empty text files within Nautilus in G3.10)
                    Faster system.
                    Ability to finally overlook the application mess. Pre3.10 optional application sorting was a good idea, like Unity dash filter (they have finally fixed their Amazon lens, btw! They just replaced it with sources - so its easy to turn off Amazon, Unity one with one click and done. With 3.10 it is now gone and I have useless scroll-tabs.

I have finally found a way to work multiwindow within G3.10, its all done with keyboard - Super+PageUp/Down. Not redefinable (one of my wireless keyboards has PageUp/Down accessible only via Fnkey combo...). Never the less, it works, although still inconvenient.

Talking about Footprint, I measured the amount of RAM currently Gnome3.10 uses after login with empty desktop on OpenSuse 64 Tumbleweed.
                    643 freaking megs.

T minus 20 minutes from this post, I installed MATE, logged out, logged in into MATE session and was welcomed by very fast response!
                    My htop in TTY1 shows
                    241 megs of RAM in Login window.

And 352 megs of Ram with MATE desktop fully loaded.

MATE uses 300 MiB LESS than Gnome3 and does MORE.
                    Of course, I will miss the unified notification area in MATE (it was one of the good ideas, even if it constantly activated when I reached the lower portion of the screen unintenionally), but 300 MiB RAM, please....

Means with Firefox open:
                    G3.10+Firefox= 1100MiB of RAM
                    MATE+Firefox= 690 MiB of RAM

And I am talking about a FULL desktop environiment here, not cut-offs like XFCE using 20 megs and 20 features less.

My 2GiB laptop says a thank you....

Comment

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                      Don't forget Xfce, it's the desktop Debian is defaulting to now instead of Gnome.
                      XFCE is much much worse than MATE.
                      It basically reuses all MATE/GNOME2 stuff and does LESS while consuming just a LITTLE less.
                      Actually, it might just use MORE than MATE, because it does not come with (complete) desktop software and relies upon GTK3 apps, while MATE is fully featured in GTK2.

For servers, yes, good environment. But for long time work, hardly.
                      Last edited by brosis; 22 December 2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X