Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboard View Post
    I would assume that's because they're making a huge shift to KDE5 and Qt5 so they're refactoring everything... right?
    And that current 4.x branch was marked as "Long Term", so no more development or big changes to core components anymore rule.

Comment

• decisions decisions

I may said that the Steam guys decision is OK, but if I remember correctly Gnome 3 either will use a 3D card or llvm back end for the rendering, so that's not IMHO a good choice for servers which is the primary focus of RHEL. But of course, since all RHat configuration tools were made using GTK+2 is more cost effective to simply drop another GTK UI, even if having 2 library revisions, that having a QT desktop with odd looking tools, or worse, paid to rewrite them.

Also I made a short test of Fedora 20 64-bit (both KDE and Gnome) and the memory usage of the live session when having 4 native apps opened was the following:

KDE 4.11.3 : 495 MB
      GNOME 3.10 : 638 MB

the 4 apps opened were: 1) A console, 2) Desktop Control Panel, 3) File Manager, 4) Process/resource viewer

In that short test, using same distribution, same environment, same class of apps as they come in the Live DVD, Gnome 3.10 is a little fat pig.

Comment

• decisions decisions (cont)

And KDE is getting better each day

http://freininghaus.wordpress.com/20...-memory-usage/

Look at the last table picture.

Comment

• Hmmmm

Neather Gnome or Kde are Dieing, well not exactly. I can't comment on Gnome as I haven't been on that side of the fence for a long time.
          But alot of Kde/Qt projects are being abandoned by there developers. Some are probably waiting for Kde Frameworks version???? and Wayland I suppose.

But generally I think alot of programmers, are leaving for the simple fact that its not fun anymore. That's why I left Kde/Qt and they kept breaking my shit.

I know ALOT of Qt developers left because of the whole QWidgets and QML deal, I still have an active bug report on QMidiArea that is 10 years old, they keep
          trying to close it and even thou I have moved on to building my own toolkit, I keep re-opening it on principle hehe

But as long as there is one active developer they will live on. And if they do die, who cares I built a XFCE4 clone in Qt in a week, threw what I had to
          the Maui and Razor-Qt guys and moved on.

Wayland will bring alot of new, cool and interesting DE's but in general Gnome and Kde are beginning to out live there usefulness in my opinion.

Building your own toolkit and designing your own linux distro, and in the process disregarding all the written rules about Filesystem Hierarchy Standard's, and
          Desktop files that are really just ini files with an array that makes them unreadable with an ini parser? lol is just pure joy and incredible liberating.

If anyone from Freedesktop.org read's this, choke on a dick and merry christmas!!!! Lol
          Last edited by zester; 17 December 2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zester View Post
            But alot of Kde/Qt projects are being abandoned by there developers. Some are probably waiting for Kde Frameworks version???? and Wayland I suppose.
            Projects come and go, both in open-source and closed-source software.

Originally posted by zester View Post
            I know ALOT of Qt developers left because of the whole QWidgets and QML deal,
            You know this how, exactly? Considering QWidgets are still supported.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              Projects come and go, both in open-source and closed-source software.

Ummm 16 years of software development for Gtk/Gnome and Kde/Qt.

And don't put words in my mouth, I never said QWidgets were not supported, the argument was that QML would take precedence
              over QWidgets (QMidiArea has had a easy to fix outstanding bug for 10+ years) not to mention there are hundreds of QWidget bugs that are being neglected.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                Development of QtWidgets is stopped and Digia is trying to force QML on developers.
                Last edited by JS987; 18 December 2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• I think, "Gtk, Qt, EFL" are all making a huge mistake in how there going forward with there toolkits.

I think Qt was going in the right direction, but totally screwed it up.

I think the future is ...

1. OpenGL and OpenGL ES

2. Hardware Accelerated Path Rendering(NVPathRender, OpenVG)

3. Software Accelerated Path Rendering (Anti-Grain Geometry), Note: I say AGG because all the other solutions are eather slow or
                  there path rendering implementations are broken. Cairo is the worst its slow and its Path Rendering is just terrible.

4. For events "Signals&Slots, Notifications or States" are all good choices.

5. Optional (XML, JSON and or YAML with a scripting language (I personally like Luajit) for a Meta Language.)

6. Linear Incremental Constraint Solver for layouts.

I Think, I Think, I Think <-- Lol I just read my comment (Ohh well)
                  Last edited by zester; 18 December 2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• I doubt it. They are probably just overwhelmed by the awesomeness that keeps rolling out of QT

Comment

• Originally posted by zester View Post
                      Ummm 16 years of software development for Gtk/Gnome and Kde/Qt.
                      Yes, and within those projects lots of individual pieces of software have come and gone.

Originally posted by zester View Post
                      And don't put words in my mouth, I never said QWidgets were not supported, the argument was that QML would take precedence
                      over QWidgets (QMidiArea has had a easy to fix outstanding bug for 10+ years) not to mention there are hundreds of QWidget bugs that are being neglected.
                      QWidgets is getting bugfixes, it just isn't getting much in the way of new features.

Comment

Working...
                      X