Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alexan
    replied
    Near 99% of market share for linux user is made by people which choose to install their own OS (the remaining 1% came pre-installed)

99% of market share of windows user come from "get it with the new pc" or "I did upgrade the old one". (the remaining 1% is those who made their own rig)

Linux don't need "popularity"... it just need to the best OS available for those who like to choose... when people start to choose, (and the OS not forced in the PC with Windows/OSX) it will be popular.

Leave a comment:

• nickstuart
    replied
    Yes Microsoft is best selling and most used OS, linux is loosing its field

Leave a comment:

• George Bush
    replied
    In my opinion Yes Linux is loosing its popularity.
    This forum is interesting and I will look for more postings

Leave a comment:

• Juliakhanam
    replied
    well frankly windows is more comfortable for a ordinary user. everything is ready everything works fine. if you use signed device for Microsoft windows and signed apps then you ll get very low crashes on windows and i think windows is a nice experience for an ordinary user, and in servers also is good but Unix and Linux is more stable as statistics shows it however if we use windows as Microsoft recommend it we may get better stability from windows.
    Linux is also a nice os i used it for 1 month as a client then i ve got no problem as a windows user except when you gonna use it as a professional user a power user installing different apps for example apps for monitoring a network servers and ... you ll get so much errors on dependencies none of apps comes with full dependencies except .ypm extensions which made by Suse thats a perfect packages.
    so you ll see both has its own users. both are fine but Microsoft windows is comfortable and user friendly os.
    i like both of em.
    So i think if Linux works on GUI and installing softwares it will gaining more fans in future.

Leave a comment:

• tball
    replied
    Yesterday my girlfriend bought a new computer with windows 7 (it is impossible to get a computer without windows in my country).

She used it in 5 days, after she came to me and asked if I would please install Ubuntu on it again.

AND she had problems with the video output being displayed all wrong when connected to a tv through hdmi (the resolution was okay). That problem was non existing with the intel oss drivers.

Now she is happy again. So at least thats +1 user to the linux market.

Leave a comment:

• NoEffex
    replied
    Yes. It's too difficult to maintain. You have to hop through loops to get anything done, there's a bunch of different toolkits that aren't inter-compatible, there's a bunch of software that depend on these different toolkits, these toolkits are difficult to get to work together, everything becomes depreciated within a month (Kernel APIs change faster than a teenager, which is a huge turn-off), and countless other reasons. If there was some sort of standardization within in the kernel then more vendors would support it, but that's not the case.

Leave a comment:

• Beiruty
    replied
    Most improvements to linux asre behing the scene. Most users of last distro from ubuntu are virtually the same. Same UI, almost same features.

Leave a comment:

• ForgottenSinner
    replied
    I've just recently started using Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) at my new job, and I really like it. I think it should be getting more popular, it's easy to use, and even easy to install and dual boot on a Windows computer.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by sabriah View Post
    So, the relevant question then? "Will you marry me?" Or, you were like, what?!

It's nice and computers fascinate me but I don't realy care if chicks are into computers. It's more about the click, character, looks and the 'x-factor', lol.

Will see what comes out of it; I'm not frustrated or anything. It's not like I'm the stereotype geek/nerd in RL

Leave a comment:

• sabriah
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Word of mouth is the best marketing ever.

-"Virus this, Vista sucks that."
    "Yeah that's why I hate Windows :')"
    -"Do you use Apple?"
    "No Linux"
    -"Yeah I heared about that. It's pretty good"

^That came from a girl who's a total computer noob. I was like; Niiiiceeee

So, the relevant question then? "Will you marry me?" Or, you were like, what?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X