Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

The irony of the creator of the GPL expressing this view is palpable,

The idiotic license he created is literally "rigid and repressive" and the definition of a "strict code of conduct".

Talk about not being self aware.
    He's consistent.

CoC = unfree
    GPL = free
    Proprietary = unfree
    BSD/MIT/Apache = free but enables proprietary use

Comment

But they never improve anything that desperately needs improving. I've been using Gnome for years and it's quite shocking.

I even installed it on a tablet because I thought the UI must've been designed for a touch screen, the experience was truly quite awful.

They haven't added editable paths like Windows/KDE (super useful), the dock is worse for work than a taskbar (extension required), window snapping is very bad - especially on a second monitor (must use tiling assistant), extensions break every version too. Yet nothing seems to improve for the user.

Comment

Originally posted by browseria View Post
        my phones.
        out of curiosity, what phones does it work fine on?

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
          He's consistent.

CoC = unfree
          GPL = free
          Proprietary = unfree
          BSD/MIT/Apache = free but enables proprietary use
          Sorry but the GPL is about controlling your fellow man, the exact opposite of freedom.

Just because I decide to give my software away for free does not mean I have a right to demand that you do as well.

Now BSD/MIT style licenses, those are truly free.

Comment

Originally posted by SViN View Post

1 million is not a lot in the tech space. The money was used up and the project changes were made if you read up on the weekly gnome blog.
            also the monies from the sovereign tech fund legally have to be applied to what they were given for, or so I would assume(always a bad thing, but probably corret in this case)

[EDIT]

That said GNOME is such sh!t nowawdays, that I cannot believe that they are getting any funding... it's all about GNOME remove features to reduce development 'costs' ... GNOME is a joke today as a DE... noone seriously uses it w/o a fuckton of extensions and other modifications FFS!

...and its only getting worse, since they don't give a fsck that you are using a fuckton of extensions and other remediations to make it useful... it's just that GNOME MUST BE CHEAP to develop so we will reduce needed devs by removing features left right and center! And you, the unwashed masses will take whatever we eventually sh!t out and like it or hoof it as we DONT GIVE a FSCK ABOUT YOU!

[/EDIT]

sorry had to do that as GNOME pisses me off so much nowadays when back in 2 it was nice... and I had a pismo notebook that I wandering around in in fluxbox, blackbox(?), enlightenment, xfce, early lxde(or whatever it was called back then), etc. it was a mess... TBH back then KDE was fscking fugly and heavy...

It was a different era, and times were fifferent...

But this GNOME story is just WTF GNOME foundation?! You're killing your desktop environment and then whining about monies?! Get a grip! OK I guess that Imma done...
            Last edited by cutterjohn; 27 April 2024, 09:20 PM.

Comment

The idiotic license he created is literally "rigid and repressive" and the definition of a "strict code of conduct".
              a license like AGPLv3 would not be necessary if the copyright and patent law would not be broken by design.

just translate the AGPLv3 directly into law for all people in all cases and you will see the society prosper.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I think Xorg is like C these days. It just gets maintained, it works and people get on with their lives.

Whereas I actually suspect that www.x.org has been domain squatted by people who do very little for Xorg. If you look at their recent board of directors IRC logs (2024), they are basically not productive compared to 2010.

In short, it is difficult to work out where to donate to these days. I tend to go for OpenBSD for their work on Xenocara. I can see this as a potential future.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 28 April 2024, 08:28 AM.

Comment

While I get where you're coming from, there is one major difference between a license like the GPL and rules like a CoC. It's that that the GPL is backed by governments and law and Codes of Conduct aren't. Codes of Conduct are more akin to The 10 Commandments while the GPL is more like The Bill of Rights. By that I mean that one is something you agree to follow to be part of an origination or group and the other contains the actual laws you are supposed to follow.

CoCs are something you agree to follow to limit your actions while licenses are the legal frameworks that don't tell you how you should or shouldn't act in regards to what you say or who you say it to.

You can go around and yell hate speech towards other people and the GPL could fucking care less while a Code of Conduct just got pissed off that I used the words fucking and pissed off.

It's like receipts at Sam's Club and Walmart. At Sam's I agree to the receipt checking in their Membership Agreement, essentially a CoC, so I wait in line and show them my receipt. At Walmart I walk my happy ass around the line, say "No thank you", and go on about my day because Walmart doesn't have a CoC.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Are you trolling?

Last change was 10 hours ago.

MATE Desktop Environment. MATE Desktop has 45 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

Gnome's website doesn't even *have* releases.
                    No troll...I used "it seems"...if you then click on the home page of the link, under the news heading the latest release is from 2021. If they don't update their site it's not my fault.​
                    The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems. MA

Comment

• Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I think Xorg is like C these days. It just gets maintained, it works and people get on with their lives.

Whereas I actually suspect that www.x.org has been domain squatted by people who do very little for Xorg. If you look at their recent board of directors IRC logs (2024), they are basically not productive compared to 2010.

In short, it is difficult to work out where to donate to these days. I tend to go for OpenBSD for their work on Xenocara. I can see this as a potential future.
                      I clicked a few ones at random and nothing seemed to be that productive. I'm not that surprised. Most important things probably get handled with email, video chats, forums, etc. How people communicate digitally changes over time and a lot has changed between 2010 and 2024.

IMHO, 2010 was the start of a new era of humanity. It was the start of highly available 4G being developed the world over in conjunction with FaceTime making video communications easily accessible. Nowadays we have 5G replacing 4G, the internet and 4G has been mostly rolled out to developed areas. The world now isn't the world it once was. Before 2010 you weren't almost always guaranteed to be always connected wirelessly if you were in society. After 2010 that changed with the spread of 4G, 5G, and other various WiFi and wireless technologies.

It's rather amazing being able to watch communications change in real time when you think about it historically with how it took thousands of years to go from stone and papyrus to the hundreds of years from paper to press to mass paper use to the bi-decades between telegraphs to radio waves to television to the decades and years between wired and wireless forms of internet and telephony communications.

Comment

Working...
                      X