XZ Struck By Malicious Code That Could Allow Unauthorized Remote System Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    The "pulls in everything and the kitchen sink" is one of the reasons I dislike working with Python. I've been really enjoying tinkering with Julia recently, but that suffers the same issue (although the ecosystem isn't as large yet).
    And what made me extremely sceptical of everyhing rust, once I relealised it works the same way when using the default cargo build system. It can be super secure, but having an automated default attack vector like that is a huge red flag. Why is insecurity the latest trend in programming languages?

Comment

• Originally posted by LightBit View Post

So it must be (developed and distributed and signed off) or just distributed "directly"?

I'm sure you will keep changing rules so that Microsoft never had backdoor and backdoors are limited to open source.

No proof of backdoor in Windows does not proof there is no backdoor in Windows.

It would be best to assume everything is potentialy backdoored.
      As I said I've lost to you. You won the argument (I've no idea which one but it surely matters to you because you keep moving the goalposts just to feel like you're right and I'm wrong). Have fun with Open Source "security" and keep peddling imaginary backdoors in Windows. Please next time start your messages with "I firmly believe Windows is full of backdoors". It will allow people to easily identity you as a zealot.

Comment

• Originally posted by carewolf View Post

And what made me extremely sceptical of everyhing rust, once I relealised it works the same way when using the default cargo build system. It can be super secure, but having an automated default attack vector like that is a huge red flag. Why is insecurity the latest trend in programming languages?
        Agile development, sir! No time to chill, it's time to pull and push!

Comment

• Companies like Microsoft and Google are using FLOSS software in their infrastructure, this is not an exploit specific to the linux desktop or individual consumer choice, the target is obviously the vast majority of cloud infrastructure.
          It's just a sign of the times that these things happen, it's easier than getting rogue employees into companies but you can be sure that's happening as well now that the relationship between the US and China has turned openly adversarial, and more than just the open software ecosystem you can't forget we live in an open society that depends on highly skilled workers from China.

Comment

• 17 pages and keep going

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
              17 pages and keep going
              Recommending.
              Attached Files

Comment

You have to also consider there are much more Windows users that are not tech savy and do not even know how to Google for solution. They might not even know updates were installed.
                That's why they ask google what to do, rather than start fixing it themselves like Linux users.

Windows errors are highly publicized and lots of mainstream portals write about them and create discussions under them. Unlike Linux where about its bugs mainstream media is silent.

Many Linux users are essentially running development versions on custom configuration that is not even possible on Windows.
                ??? Windows Insider have 10 000 000 active​ users (official data from a few years ago). And you have any reliable data on how many Linux users are using it in the development version?

I have/had many programmer friends who use/used Linux and used stable versions. Very many of them have switched to macOS in recent years. But that's my environment (large company) and doesn't necessarily translate to other companies or individuals. Do you have any data?

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post

Have fun with Open Source "security" and keep peddling imaginary backdoors in Windows. Please next time start your messages with "I firmly believe Windows is full of backdoors". It will allow people to easily identity you as a zealot.
                  This is far from anything I said and think.

Comment

This is far from anything I said and think.
                    And there is proof that all bugs in linux are accidental????

How do you know if a particular vulnerability in Linux was not created on purpose???? Why do you make the assumption that always these vulnerabilities are due to oversight, accident, negligence????

Do you have any proof of this???​

Comment

• Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

That's why they ask google what to do, rather than start fixing it themselves like Linux users.
                      Those that ask Google are intermidiate users. Noobs just say "oh my computer doesn't work".

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

??? Windows Insider have 10 000 000 active​ users (official data from a few years ago). And you have any reliable data on how many Linux users are using it in the development version?

I have/had many programmer friends who use/used Linux and used stable versions. Very many of them have switched to macOS in recent years. But that's my environment (large company) and doesn't necessarily translate to other companies or individuals. Do you have any data?
                      I don't have data, but it would have to be considered. I don't claim one is more buggy than the other.

Personally I usually find bugs on Linux easier to workaround, but that is just my subjetive preference.

Comment

Working...
                      X