No announcement yet.

XZ Struck By Malicious Code That Could Allow Unauthorized Remote System Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this event further highlights the need for control. free software or anyway the open source software must be subjected to approval before being distributed.

Comment

• Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      this event further highlights the need for control. free software or anyway the open source software must be subjected to approval before being distributed.
      How do you come to that conclusion?

there was nothing malicious in the source to find.

Why should we trust some self appointed approvers (with nothing to lose from malicious behavior) more rather than less than the original authors (with everything to lose from malicious behaviour)?
      Last edited by mSparks; 06 April 2024, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post

By the same token you can make an argument that Google/Apple/MS distribute malware via their App Stores. No, that's not what I meant and if I didn't make myself clear at first, I'll make it clear now: I only meant software which is developed, distributed publicly and signed by these three companies.

"Distributed publicly" is also quite important. I can imagine all three companies have security researchers/engineers who have written exploits/malware/viruses just for fun and for testing purposes.

Here's the full story: https://grahamcluley.com/microsoft-stab-macro-viruses/web https://www.cnet.com/deals/the-88-be...ill-remaining/

Not really malware, more like a stupid joke perhaps from someone who was heavily reprimanded. I'm still thankful you've unearthed it as I never knew about it. It was back from the time when the Internet wasn't yet a thing.

Here we are talking about a freaking backdoor to access a system remotely.
        You could have just been straightforward from the start instead of shifting the goalposts and behaving in a manner that resembles trolling.

Comment

• Edit: At the very end of user account settings is a way to manually block users. Took me almost 18 years to find out how. Didn't need it before.

How do I block the troll accounts? Come to read the forum once a month if that and there's these anti open source trolls from newer accounts I really don't want to deal with. I'd like to read about the XZ backdoor and the security issue as a whole, not weed through the childish back and forth.
          Last edited by JosiahBradley; 03 May 2024, 11:40 PM. Reason: Editing as I found out how to block people after all these years.

Comment

Working...
          X