A Game Is Finally Announced For The Open 3D Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Byron II View Post
    In order to sign up for the beta, they want an EVM address, which I'm not familiar with, but it has something to do with Ethereum. And their news page talks about how they are an NFT game company.
    ahaha the memes write themselves I see

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      How would one play a shooter on a mobile phone? Are there special input devices that you connect to it? Or will this just be a whac-a-mole type game? I can't imagine controlling movement, crouching, shooting and jumping at the same time on a touch screen. Aiming would also be impossible.

On-screen controls. This is a screenshot of the game.

I've played games like this and I can't get into touchscreen controls. Nothing about where any of that is placed is comfortable for my 39 year old hands. I run into the same problem when using emulators on Android. If it supports using a controller it might be worth playing.

Oh, it's advertised as "A Mobile NFT Shooter". Two red flag buzzwords followed by one of the most exploitative genres in gaming -- shooters. That said, my opinions are meaningless because morons who play shooters love the ability to run around looking "unique" and will spend shitloads of money to do it. They're easy kills, too. I hope some percentage of moron NFT money goes towards making Linux gaming better.

How did you get me?

You're dressed like Neon Santa and we're in a jungle.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Urgh. Imagine using an android emulator with mouse and keyboard and slaughtering everyone in the game with ease. ^_^
        ... will spend shitloads of money to do it.
        Spending money on a game that punishes you with it's controls in return. I guess everyone has their unique definition of fun.

Comment

A lot of shooters support gyro now which is an extremely significant upgrade for shooters. Touchscreen still sucks for things like moving and shooting, but aiming can be done with gyro, if you pair it with a "controller grip" it's actually not a too bad experience.

Urgh. Imagine using an android emulator with mouse and keyboard and slaughtering everyone in the game with ease. ^_^

Spending money on a game that punishes you with it's controls in return. I guess everyone has their unique definition of fun.
          Sadly a lot of the games like these block stuff like bliss. though some games actually have dedicated servers for "emulator/PC" users. The big ones like cod and pubg both block bliss/waydroid outright​. For any games that don't however, Bliss + XTmapper do work well.

Comment

You'd be surprised. Everyone has a weird thing they'll spend a lot of money to buy.​ Beanie Babies, TV show lunch boxes....Steam Sales....unique collectables in a game someone finds fun isn't out of the question especially since it's tied to a reselling economy where you can hype your gear up and sell it to a moron for an inflated price. TF2 Hats? Steam Cards and Collectables? Rocket League Titanium White Octane? I've played COD MW3 (the newest one I'm ashamed to admit) and those people spend tons of money to all look the same and to put a key chain on their gun that no one will ever see. If these folks find the balance between fun and find a way that makes the players all want to keep up with the Jonses, they'll make some good money both from selling NFTs and from the vig generated off their NFT reselling marketplace.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            A lot of shooters support gyro now which is an extremely significant upgrade for shooters. Touchscreen still sucks for things like moving and shooting, but aiming can be done with gyro, if you pair it with a "controller grip" it's actually not a too bad experience.
            I know. I'm still not the biggest fan of them. It's literally the touchscreen controls. I just can't hold phones comfortably like that without wrist and thumb pain. That's why I've bought various controller to phone clips over the years.

I worry about how bad the younger generation is going to fare with phone induced carpal tunnel and arthritis.

Comment

I know. I'm still not the biggest fan of them. It's literally the touchscreen controls. I just can't hold phones comfortably like that without wrist and thumb pain. That's why I've bought various controller to phone clips over the years.

I worry about how bad the younger generation is going to fare with phone induced carpal tunnel and arthritis.
              oh dont get me wrong, Im not a fan either, I use my phone for emulation fairly often and when my controller dies i'll just get to a save point or put the emulator into sleep.

Comment

Bevy was a single game engine I noted, but since you seemed to tunnelvision on that lets talk about it a bit.

Yes is super alpha in comparison to O3DE, but at least unlike O3DE it has real potential behind it. so long as you can use rust, and getting into rust really is quite easier after the initial hump, even now in it's very immature state, it's actually not that bad to work with. O3DE/lumberyard on the otherhand has been out for quite a long time now in comparison, and the only thing we have out of it is a couple of trash games and one perpetually in demo stage game start citizen.

Now Can we talk about fyrox and ogre3d too like I pointed out? Fyrox first since it's less impressive. Another rust based game engine. I to is still in an alpha state, but it has an editor and that stuff, so we already have a couple of 3d demos made from it, some of them even "playable", so it's also quite the promissing engine.

Now for the key part here Ogre3d already has some real games made with it and are selling. Most of the games here are indeed more on the basic side, but some of them are no slouches either https://steamdb.info/tech/Engine/OGRE/ Ogre3d has loads of potential for use in AAA games. at least as much as Ogre3d does
                I can't take your opinion seriously because of your obvious bias and the fact that you think Fyrox, O3DE, and Ogre3D are in the same category.

You say Fyrox is promising because it has playable demo, but also think O3DE is not promising even though it has playable demos.
                The O3DE multiplayer demo is more impressive than any of the Fyrox demos. I've tried them all.

That being said, Fyrox is way more complete than Bevy, and IMO more impressive than Bevy. The single developer behind Fyrox is implementing a lot in each release cycle. The Bevy devs are still talking about ideas for an editor. Bevy is just more popular because of the buzzword marketing behind it. If you want to make a game of reasonable complexity in Rust, then Fyrox will serve you better.

Ogre3D is not a game engine. It is only the rendering part of a game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  I can't take your opinion seriously because of your obvious bias and the fact that you think Fyrox, O3DE, and Ogre3D are in the same category.
                  I don't think they are in the same category technology wise, I think they are in the same category for things I would rather see Linux foundation suppoer
                  You say Fyrox is promising because it has playable demo, but also think O3DE is not promising even though it has playable demos.
                  The O3DE multiplayer demo is more impressive than any of the Fyrox demos. I've tried them all.
                  Because Fyrox is a very alpha project while O3DE is based on amazon lumberyard, which in turn is based on cryengine. It has literally a decade over fyrox, maybe 2?
                  That being said, Fyrox is way more complete than Bevy, and IMO more impressive than Bevy. The single developer behind Fyrox is implementing a lot in each release cycle. The Bevy devs are still talking about ideas for an editor. Bevy is just more popular because of the buzzword marketing behind it. If you want to make a game of reasonable complexity in Rust, then Fyrox will serve you better.

Ogre3D is not a game engine. It is only the rendering part of a game engine.
                  I disagree that fyrox will serve you better IMO but that depends on what you are looking for in your engine. Bevy has a lot of stuff with it right now which makes it quite nice, This is why you see a lot more people actually using bevy then you do fyrox, That's not to say I don't think fyrox is good, but it seems disingenuous to dismiss bevy as a buzzword, especially when you have real game studios such as embark investing in it, and indie games already being pumped out.

also I am aware of ogre not being a game engine in and of itself, however the graphics engine is still a significantly important thing, and in the terms of technolgies the LF should sponsor it IMO is much higher on the list than O3DE is

Comment

Because Fyrox is a very alpha project while O3DE is based on amazon lumberyard, which in turn is based on cryengine. It has literally a decade over fyrox, maybe 2?
                    That's not really the case. While the project started as fork of Cry engine, you'll find very little of CryEngine in the current O3DE. Whole systems have been ripped out/replaced/rewritten. By your standard, Fyrox would also be old, since it started as an engine written in C, which predates the rust version by quite some time.

I disagree that fyrox will serve you better IMO but that depends on what you are looking for in your engine. Bevy has a lot of stuff with it right now which makes it quite nice, This is why you see a lot more people actually using bevy then you do fyrox, That's not to say I don't think fyrox is good, but it seems disingenuous to dismiss bevy as a buzzword, especially when you have real game studios such as embark investing in it, and indie games already being pumped out.
                    Your position is still inconsistent. You think I shouldn't dismiss Bevy because it has real game studios investing in it, and released games?
                    You dismissed O3DE which has way more industry investment than Bevy. Can we have some consistency?

also I am aware of ogre not being a game engine in and of itself, however the graphics engine is still a significantly important thing, and in the terms of technolgies the LF should sponsor it IMO is much higher on the list than O3DE is
                    Why should the LF invest in Ogre3D over O3DE?
                    Can you make some argument for this?
                    O3DE is being backed my many industry players, is a full game engine with a lot of tooling. What would the LF gain is backing Ogre3D instead?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      A game called Mad World seems as if it really should be set on the planet Halarge:

The actual line is: “Halargian world.” (Not “illogical world”, “raunchy young world”(!), “enlarging your world”, or a number of other interesting if not amusing guesses.) The real story: Halarge was an imaginary planet invented by either Chris Hughes or Ross Cullum during the recording of The Hurting. I added it as a joke during the lead vocal session, and we kept it. And there you have it. —Curt Smith, on his official site in 2010

Fans of Tears for Fears: now you know. You're welcome.
                      So am I, thanks for your appreciated nonsense!

Comment

Working...
                      X