Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Game Is Finally Announced For The Open 3D Engine

Phoronix: A Game Is Finally Announced For The Open 3D Engine

Announced back in 2021 by the Linux Foundation was Amazon Lumberyard becoming the Open 3D Engine and the Linux Foundation fostering the Open 3D Foundation for evolving this new open-source game engine. Three years later there is now a commercial game announced for the Open 3D Engine (O3DE)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux Foundation just being ridicule as usual...

Comment

I can understand the decision, mobile games is where the money is at.

You create a mobile game that is free to play (F2P) and you include in game purchases.

They also have a very long lifespan, generating revenue for years.

DC Legends Mobile was around for 6 or 7 years and was still generating cash when the head of WB decided to shut it down. You should have seen the reaction of Reddit when it was announced.

Right now i am playing the mobile version of Street Fighter, I play it via emulator on Win 11 using Nox Player, the graphics are not the greatest but I was able to get a cheap $20 game pad working with it and unlocking all the fighters only cost $5.

I think this is a good thing, if the game is any good it will inspire others looking to cash in and perhaps eventually someone will decide to bring a full game to the desktop.

As it is I believe desktop gaming is on the decline, hardware is getting more and more expensive, the global economy is in shambles and people are looking for cheaper alternatives.

Mobile gaming is where it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        Linux Foundation just being ridicule as usual...
        The Linux Foundation is one of the few open source entities that seem to understand how to generate cash.

It's no surprise when you consider who the members are, Red Hat, Microsoft, Intel, dozens of other big players worth deep pockets.

These people know how to make money, the open source community at large could learn a thing or two from them.

Comment

Linux Foundation proudly announces its first gatcha

Comment

so many open source game engines, a lot of which are proving to be extremely interesting, I always found it weird that the LF decided to... Champion... this one. Even when it was announced we had promising open source game engines that weren't on life support.

Comment

What a counterproductive mentality to make fun of o3de, because they didn't get any title yet.
              People moan when it's close source, make fun of struggling open source...
              We have basically cryengine open sourced multiplateformed, we should be happy to have this, and happy they get a project and hope it gets some more soon.

If Godot wasn't a thing, all hopes of open source game engine would be on o3de...
              Godot is absolutely great, but it's not a competitor, it's an ally.
              Both engines are gems.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                These people know how to make money, the open source community at large could learn a thing or two from them.
                Having wealthy sponsors isn't anything new, whether they are companies, governments or individuals.

Many organisations have done that long before the Linux Foundation even existed.
                There are decades, centuries and even millennia, of precedence before software even existed, let alone Linux or open source in general.

Some of these organisations have become sponsors themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  What a counterproductive mentality to make fun of o3de, because they didn't get any title yet.
                  People moan when it's close source, make fun of struggling open source...
                  We have basically cryengine open sourced multiplateformed, we should be happy to have this, and happy they get a project and hope it gets some more soon.

If Godot wasn't a thing, all hopes of open source game engine would be on o3de...
                  Godot is absolutely great, but it's not a competitor, it's an ally.
                  Both engines are gems.
                  there were multiple open source engines that were promissing when o3de was announced, Bevy 0.1 was annouced around that time, we had fyrox too, we had ogre3d which was promissing, and those are just the ones I remeber the names of, there were a couple other ones too

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    Having wealthy sponsors isn't anything new, whether they are companies, governments or individuals.

Many organisations have done that long before the Linux Foundation even existed.
                    There are decades, centuries and even millennia, of precedence before software even existed, let alone Linux or open source in general.

Some of these organisations have become sponsors themselves.
                    The difficult part is on getting wealthy sponsors, that is an art in and of itself and the Linux Foundation clearly has it figured out.

The KDE project on the other hand was barely scraping together 100k a year up until a couple of years ago and even now they are below the 300k a year mark.

Imagine what KDE would be or any DE for that matter, if they were able to secure the sponsorships that the LF has been able to.

Comment

Working...
                    X