The X.Org Foundation Needs More Candidates To Hold An Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    I was going to nominate myself, then in a power move wrestle complete control of the organization and do the world a favor by disbanding the X.org Foundation and announcing that every single one of the projects they are responsible for, starting with Wayland, followed quickly by Mesa, are being scraped.

Let's make the Linux ecosystem a professionally run place, with well thought out software and not have meetings in Fortnight.
    Use an old IBM PC. They had 16 colors - that's all anyone should need, right? Just like Bill Gates said no one needs more than 640k. Go back to that professional IBM 16 color standard and you won't have any need for Xorg servers or Mesa or Wayland - any of it.

And then you can report back to us about how glorious your new life is.

Comment

Here on Phoronix forum we have tens of tr... *ahem*, X.org fans who hate Wayland with a passion, why don't they apply? There are empty positions.....

Comment

I think it is time to close x.org foundation and make X11 an inactive project under freedesktop.org. Apparently, people already did this in their minds.

Comment

Hmm, dilemma for anyone wanting to help oversee the other projects but not get caught up with X.Org itself, maybe?

Just how much work is required to direct the foundation anyway?
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
            I think it is time to close x.org foundation and make X11 an inactive project under freedesktop.org. Apparently, people already did this in their minds.
            So you want to kill Wayland and Xwayland then?

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
              I've seen people too lazy to read the article, but too lazy to read the summary? X.org Foundation includes Wayland, you dolt.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Here on Phoronix forum we have tens of tr... *ahem*, X.org fans who hate Wayland with a passion, why don't they apply? There are empty positions.....
                IMHO, because there should be some merit behind the board members. It doesn't matter how great of an idea a person thinks they have if they can't actually do it or implement it. At least that's how I feel about myself.

Granted, you said "hate Wayland with a passion" and I'm not that person. I have my dislikes about it, but at the end of the day I recognize the importance of a way that defines how something should be done and not having a single way that something should be done. There's a Windows/Linux analogy in regards to X11/Wayland or "and one wlroots to rule them all" and once you're able to see that, Wayland and Protocols themselves make a lot more sense.

I'd love to steer them into creating an Open UI Protocol. Take the concept of Wayland and expand it to cover various forms of input methods, screen sizes, how programs scale up and down, how to handle CSD and SSD, unified keyboard shortcuts, and a hell of a lot more that I don't see the point of going into for discussion's sake.

What do you call a multi-threading bug on a white supremacist's PC?

A master race condition.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Use an old IBM PC. They had 16 colors - that's all anyone should need, right? Just like Bill Gates said no one needs more than 640k. Go back to that professional IBM 16 color standard and you won't have any need for Xorg servers or Mesa or Wayland - any of it.
                  Yeah he said you won't need more than 640k for the programs at the time, and he was right. That was the topic.

Taking things out of context just makes you an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    This has nothing to do with developing X.Org/X11 but about management and it's not only X11 either, it includes managing Wayland and Mesa.

Of course not like I expected anything else from a Wayland clown.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      Yeah he said you won't need more than 640k for the programs at the time, and he was right. That was the topic.

Taking things out of context just makes you an ass.
                      Actually Gates claims he never made the statement and that he had argued for years for the opposite. And there's no evidence he ever did say it. So you trying to put it into an untrue context, rather than noting it as the joke and the meme that it is, are the one who is being the ass.

Comment

Working...
                      X