Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Confirms Bringing Sudo For Windows, Is Open-Source Too

Phoronix: Microsoft Confirms Bringing Sudo For Windows, Is Open-Source Too

There's been recent reports that Microsoft is bringing sudo to Windows as discovered in recent Windows 11 Insider previews. This was briefly confirmed today by Microsoft in a since-removed blog post as well as noting that it's open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Windows is no longer profitable so Microsoft turning it into Linux to lessen the burden" theory is confirmed

Comment

It's not just the GitHub repo link that doesn't work; The link to the blog post doesn't exist as well.

EDIT: I archived a cached version of the blog post here.
      Last edited by TruthPropeller; 07 February 2024, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I have been saying it for many years now, Microsoft's long term plan is to turn Windows into a Linux distribution, a Linux core with their Windows APIs and userland on top. It is a slow transition but it will definitely happen. This is just another small step towards their goal.

Comment

Was runas not enough? What will happen to the Windows architecture?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Was runas not enough? What will happen to the Windows architecture?
            It'll be like running a very polished distribution with Wine backing damn near everything. I dread the day Windows starts sandboxing every program into its own prefix. As long as it allows creating multi-app container prefixes to group games with Reshade, opentrack, and other programs as well as autoload in-directory DLLs, like script extenders, FSR, or ultrawide DLL mods it'll cover most people's needs and be somewhat easy to use and describe to use.

Comment

I find this funny, i honestly like this as it means more maintainers for open source software.

As much as i dont like windows, if windows becomes a linux distribution then that means more maintainers for lower-level open source software and in general more maintainers for open source software as well. Getting windows to adhere to linux is the ultimate end-game for us.

Comment

i've been using "sudo for windows" for ages now. "sudo is just too nifty. A different sudo for windows, but sudo nonetheless https://sourceforge.net/projects/sudowin/

Comment

Oh, do y'all pronounce it as "sue dough" or "sue doo"?

For me it's more like

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Oh, do y'all pronounce it as "sue dough" or "sue doo"?

For me it's more like
                    homer way for me

Comment

Working...
                    X