Mozilla's Latest Plan To Make Money Is Mozilla Monitor Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    Data brokers should be subject to the same deplatforming by ISP's that is routinely deployed against poliitical doxxing sites.

Data brokers should be treated exactly the same way. ISP's should terminate their contracts and disconnect them from the Internet entirely. Services like Cloudflare should treat them as malicious websites and deny them service as they would a ransomware command and control server.
    Why? Because they're smart? Clever? With almost every other advantage, people are free to use it as they will. But let someone be SMART, and all the dummies demand being clever be outlawed.

Comment

The problem is that there's a Mozilla COMPANY in the first place. An open source browser doesn't need an HR department, accountants, layers of management, etc. It just needs people willing to contribute code, usually for free. Python is one of the currently most successful languages on the planet, and until recently the amount of money the Python Software Foundation paid people to write code for the Python reference interpreter didn't total to the average salary of even one developer. Until he came out of retirement recently to work for Microsoft on improving Python speed, even Python's CREATOR didn't get paid full time to develop Python! It's the same with PostgreSQL, the most popular and powerful open source database... no CEO, no corporation, no paid staff. The list could go on and on... the most popular open source software on the planet doesn't need to form corporations to produce their code.

Dissolve Mozilla Corporation, set up a volunteer governing board a la LibreOffice and the Document Foundation, and get back to people contributing to Firefox because they like it and want to make it better. Right now it seems the only people being paid by Mozilla are being paid to think of new ways to make money for Mozilla. The browser has been forgotten. If Firefox got back to people who actually use the software contributing features and fixes they themselves would like to see, Firefox could ultimately get back to #1 browser again.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
        The problem is that there's a Mozilla COMPANY in the first place. An open source browser doesn't need an HR department, accountants, layers of management, etc. It just needs people willing to contribute code, usually for free.
        Doing stuff for free doesn't pay the bills, and you need to pay the bills to contribute to FOSS. Plenty of people write code for free in addition to their full-time job, but that's not enough to compete with for-profit products. And by the way, most big FOSS projects are funded by for-profit companies. The Linux kernel wouldn't survive without that funding, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Mozilla has been spying on people without telling them. Mozilla didn't plan to tell people about the spying. People found out that they were being spied on without consent and alerted a small part of it's users (general userbase doesn't understand it). Only after that Mozilla decided to add functionality to disable spying. Until today it's still enabled by default: https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/mozi...nding/V-252909
          According to the link you provided, Firefox pushes updates to a small percentage of users before pushing them to everyone else. What's wrong with that, and how is that "spying" on people?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Firefox needs more developers to work on introducing new and meaningful features to firefox.
            All I remember from Firefox is constant removal of important (for me) features. Up to the point there were none that could make my work better than chrome, so I've switched to chromium. I was keeping my patches up to date for some time, but it was 15 years ago and apparently it was a great decision to dump this browser.

Comment

Working...
            X