Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Latest Plan To Make Money Is Mozilla Monitor Plus

Phoronix: Mozilla's Latest Plan To Make Money Is Mozilla Monitor Plus

Mozilla's latest non-browser foray and attempt at generating additional revenue is Mozilla Monitor Plus, what formerly was known as the free service Firefox Monitor for monitoring of exposed personal information such as email addresses as part of security breaches to various web services...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how can the scans be "one-time" or "monthly", but monitoring will be "continuous".

Comment

I estimate 0.001% of people in the world might get interested and 10% of them could sign up for that.

Nah, it won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        I estimate 0.001% of people in the world might get interested and 10% of them could sign up for that.

Nah, it won't work.
        Since we are just making up numbers, I estimate 8% of people are interested and 4% would sign up and it would work fine.

Comment

That's like trusting the cartel to provide a DEA service. Mozilla isn't trustworthy.

In the past Mozilla has been spying on people without telling them. After we caught them with their pants down they provided a function to disable spyware but it's still deliberately enabled by default in Firefox https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/mozi...nding/V-252909

This was through incompetence https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/com...ecommendation/

Mozilla needs a new CEO before it's too late.

Comment

Mozilla will do literally anything but make firefox an actually good browser

Comment

will attempt to remove your personal data
              1. What, are they going to ask nicely? Data brokers don't give a shit about what their victims want done with their data. If they did, they wouldn't be data brokers
              2. Who in their right mind would pay nearly $15 per month just for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                That's like trusting the cartel to provide a DEA service. Mozilla isn't trustworthy.

In the past Mozilla has been spying on people without telling them. After we caught them with their pants down they provided a function to disable spyware but it's still deliberately enabled by default in Firefox https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/mozi...nding/V-252909

This was through incompetence https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/com...ecommendation/

All I would say is I hope others actually look up the information regarding what you are talking about because they are not performing widespread spying of websites you browse across the board. It's only for specific sites related to recommend add-ons, is not shared publicly and has an off switch. Unlike all the other first party browsers which have much more invasive spying methods designed to spy on users as a primary focus. I'd encourage anyone else who reads what Jabberwocky is concerned with to understand the "issue" and then decide if Mozilla can be trusted to run a reporting/alerting service for PII. I'd argue yes.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                  1. What, are they going to ask nicely? Data brokers don't give a shit about what their victims want done with their data. If they did, they wouldn't be data brokers
                  2. Who in their right mind would pay nearly $15 per month just for that?
                  Yeppers. This is just the dumbass American solution to the data brokering problem. Create the problem and sell the solution. Instead of doing the hard work by making it illegal and going after a new class of criminals we'll instead let people buy supposed peace and happiness due to having incompetent laws and legislators.

Data brokering, selling personal information, shouldn't be legal to begin with and all data gathered with telemetry needs to be treated as highly sensitive, classified, materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    It is not clear that any executive can fix what ails Mozilla.

Firefox is circling the drain in market share, and the company mostly continues to exist because it sends searches to Google (which pays Mozilla based on the number of search referrals). As the Firefox market share continues to shrink, the revenue from Google goes down, which impacts the available funding for investment in Firefox, and that means even more people will choose another browser.

Sure, the Mozilla executives are over-compensated (their pay would not be completely outrageous if the company was growing and increasing revenue, but it is not), but even if you took all the executive salaries and put it into development it would not change the direction of Firefox's market share ("He's dead, Jim").

Comment

Working...
                    X