Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other mechanical keyboard nutjobs in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other mechanical keyboard nutjobs in here?

Just Curious if there are any other keyboard/switch enthusiasts in here? I am currently falling down the rabbit hole. lol

So far for boards I have:
    • Keychron V1
    • Nimbleback NB-681 (extra sound deadening, poron switch pads, Sumgsn​ plate mount stabs)
    • Keychron K17 Pro
    • Skyloong GK980+ (poron deadening, felt pcb foam, poron switch pads, Sumgsn​ plate mount stabs)
    • Epomaker RT100 (not in use. hated it. Cheaply made. Terrible software)

I'm eyeing up some aluminum case, hot swappable 65% and 96% boards with knobs. Haven't decided on which ones though. The 96% needs to be north facing leds for the keycaps I plan to use. The 65% doesn't matter. (any recommendations welcome. QMK/VIA preferred, but not necessary if the software is good)

For switches I've collected so far:
    • Gateron Oil King linears (filmed and swapped to 23mm 53g dual stage springs) - NB-681
    • Haimu Whisper tactiles (lubed, filmed) - Keychron v1
    • CK x Haimu Pastel Mint tactiles (lubed, filmed, 58g 2 stage 23mm) - GK980+
    • Keychron x Gateron Banana Low profile tactiles - K17 Pro
    • Gateron Brown tactiles
    • Cherry MX Brown RGB tactiles
    • Cherry MX Clear tactiles
    • Cherry MX Clear RGB tactiles
    • Jwick Yellow linear
    • Epomaker Sea Salt Silent linears
    • Gateron V2 Low Profile Blue clickies

Plus 30-40 various single switches from sample packs.

Also just ordered a set of Everfree Grayish tactiles to try in the 980, and am eyeing up some Tecsee Middle tactile switches to try in the Nimbleback, and some Nuphy Moss tactiles to try in the K17. I want to throw the Oil Kings into whatever new 65% I order, and my favorite tactile will go in the 96%.

I haven't even cataloged my keycap sets. It's a little ridiculous, tbh. lol

I may, or may not, have a problem. lol

My interest in mechanical keyboards is pretty recent - I don't even have one but shopping - and want one that works in Linux without too many issues - the least trouble, the better.... I guess that doesn't make me a m. k. nutjob, though, but I understand..

I'm looking at the Keychron K8 Pro - but, with red switches - some things I want/demand: quiet, wireless...runs Linux - meaning, whatever keys I need - it should have.... I don't think I'm too demanding? Hotswappable, preferred - I'll probably keep it stock at first - it'll be good enough as long as it's pretty quiet and I don't hate the keyboard. I'll also need to shop for a wireless mouse, too.

My current keyboard is a Logitech with a trackpad.

If you have any advice, please share.

Comment

You definitely want a QMK/VIA keyboard, which the K8 Pro is. Definitely also go for hot swappable. You'll find the best way to make a silent keyboard is with silent switches. Haimu Heartbeats come to mind immediately for a decently priced silent linear, but the reds are a good place to start

Comment

I will never use any other switch than red or even silver anymore (or equivalent sensitvity). It's great for typing too, people just aren't used to it at first and they make typos and think it's bad, but that's just muscle memory issues. Once you get used to it, you type so much faster too.

Comment

I rediscovered mechanical keyboards about 5 years ago and switched most of my home and office keyboards over. Found that I could type more quickly and more accurately, and the sound didn't bother me.

Turned out the sound did bother other people, however, and I was getting complaints from people on conference calls and from cubicle dwellers a few rows away (further than I expected). I was able to temporarily manage the noise by muting the phone on con calls and "trying to type more quietly" for the cubicle dwellers but COVID-19 came along and we were all banished to home offices before I started finding my keyboard cables cut and keyboards in the dumpster. Downside is that I didn't have time to try quieter mechanical switches like Cherry brown or even red, but since I grew up on IBM type F keyswitches I had trouble with the idea of spending money on a non-clicky keyboard.

Unicomp seems to have recovered from the COVID-related supply chain problems so looking at picking up one of their keyboards, although a new company has started producing keyboards using the original type F switches, which is great. Might get a 77 key model F from them and a 101 key model M from Unicomp.

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by peggyramos
            What's a good mechanical keyboard for coding and also gaming, but won't make me look like a dork? though I'm also tempted by these two part ergo keyboards that you guys were posting a few pages back.
            Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of the Keychron boards. They are popular for all the right reasons.

Comment

I have two Keychrons (K10 for home and a K2 for travel) after being turned onto them by a co-worker; despite using one keyboard or another for nearly 5 decades I'm the World's Worst Typist and the Blue switches' tactile feel actually help me out. I also have a couple of Chinese Blues stashed at a couple of relatives homes I frequent on holidays.

Comment

What specific features of the Keychron keyboards, such as the K10 for home and the K2 for travel, do you find particularly beneficial as a self-professed 'World's Worst Typist'? How do the Blue switches, known for their tactile feel, contribute to improving your typing experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  My interest in mechanical keyboards is pretty recent - I don't even have one but shopping - and want one that works in Linux without too many issues - the least trouble, the better.... I guess that doesn't make me a m. k. nutjob, though, but I understand..

I'm looking at the Keychron K8 Pro - but, with red switches - some things I want/demand: quiet, wireless...runs Linux - meaning, whatever keys I need - it should have.... I don't think I'm too demanding? Hotswappable, preferred - I'll probably keep it stock at first - it'll be good enough as long as it's pretty quiet and I don't hate the keyboard. I'll also need to shop for a wireless mouse, too.

My current keyboard is a Logitech with a trackpad.

If you have any advice, please share.
                  my dad is big on the Microsoft Ergo keyboard, has been using them for quite possibly almost two decades now! What would you recommend, mostly for ergonomic benefit, as an upgrade to the Microsoft ergo keyboard. One thing I need to clarify: This is for my dad, he's not a nutjob like myself and everyone else on this forum and WILL not care about the switches!

Comment

Originally posted by jameswilliam View Post
                    my dad is big on the Microsoft Ergo keyboard, has been using them for quite possibly almost two decades now! What would you recommend, mostly for ergonomic benefit, as an upgrade to the Microsoft ergo keyboard. One thing I need to clarify: This is for my dad, he's not a nutjob like myself and everyone else on this forum and WILL not care about the switches!
                    no response

Comment

Working...
                    X