Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.14 LTS Reaches End-Of-Life After Six Years

Phoronix: Linux 4.14 LTS Reaches End-Of-Life After Six Years

Linux 4.14 debuted at the end of 2017 with exciting features at the time like AMD Vega improvements, working on the since-failed Intel Cannonlake graphics, Zstd compression support, and more. The kernel has advanced a heck of a lot since then and Linux 6.7 recently debuted. It's now time that Linux 4.14 LTS has been declared end-of-life...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Speaking of bug fixing, the final patch, version 336, weighs in at 27,138,025 bytes and contains 12,203 patches.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Speaking of bug fixing, the final patch, version 336, weighs in at 27,138,025 bytes and contains 12,203 patches.
      Good thing we don't weigh patches.

Comment

That's my first LTS release since I discovered Manjaro and started to use Linux full-time again, after a long, long break. It was good, but that was just a beginning of a bumpy road. Only since 5.14 I had all my hardware working properly out of the box. Gosh I don't want to change my hardware again but I kinda have to. New adventures ahead (sigh).
        Last edited by openminded; 10 January 2024, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Sadly, I have an critical 24x7 application that only runs on a Linux 4.xx kernel machine.

The upgraded version of the application only runs in a Docker virtual machine. No, I will not upgrade it for multiple business reasons; Docker for just 1 application is silly for an application that does not understand "CPU fencing" or "CPU affinity"; it will 'consume' every CPU it can find in it's machine. Yeah, it's "compute intensive".

And alternatives for this application? They cost even more money than what we originally paid and require that you USE THE CLOUD; support in both cases is counted separately, but new apps cost more for support. Sorry, but we like on-premise hosting of our critical apps so we know they are (1) available 24x7; (2) run on properly maintained hardware; (3) are not subject to "downtime" we cannot control; (4) don't have to make an appointment for a "remote hands only" tech.
          Last edited by NotMine999; 10 January 2024, 02:39 PM. Reason: why not?

Comment

Back in my day, Linux was 2.6 and 2.6 ONLY (unless you were old, in which case you used 2.4). I remember the hubbub about finally moving to 3.0 and the complainers complaining, as they do. "But it will break muh scripts !!!11"

The kernel has improved so much since the 2.6 days.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              Sadly, I have an critical 24x7 application that only runs on a Linux 4.xx kernel machine.
              4.19 still get you covered.

And also your distribution, since most distros don't directly use the upstream LTS release, forking off their own LTS branches instead.

Comment

Meanwhile my phone is apparently still running 4.14.186, and it just so happens that it's also the latest version of the 4.14 series at the time it was released (June 2020) lol.

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post
                  Meanwhile my phone is apparently still running 4.14.186, and it just so happens that it's also the latest version of the 4.14 series at the time it was released (June 2020) lol.
                  I just noticed my Galaxy S10 is also using 4.14.. That's why I think some sort of stable kernel abi would've been useful specifically for Android. I mean the lack of stable abi is the reason Android phones are stuck with the same kernel version for life.

Comment

Working...
                  X