No announcement yet.

git.kernel.org Adds Native Dark Mode Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the end I stopped using dark mode, because window shadows disappear, making it difficult to find window boundaries with multiple windows.

Comment

For those that use the automatic extensions like dark reader, I very much prefer "Dark Background and Light Text" as it has configurable colors (so I can use full black on my amoled phone screen) and seems a lot less cpu intensive on some sites. It also has a few different modes which is useful on sites that the default option doesn't work in. There are extensions for both chrome and firefox too

Comment

congrats, 900+ contrast errors
        source_ https://wave.webaim.org/report#/https://git.kernel.org

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Hopefully one day we will have the desktop environment follow the day / night cycles
          Programs like redshift already offer this.

Comment

Actually odd thought reading the stuff about dark mode support in various applications --
            why isn't / cannot there be some system wide way to do it?
            IIRC there are commonly accesibility and theme settings in the desktop environments to set the system theme to light / dark / whatever color schemes
            and I guess well behaved applications (ones that use GTK on Gnome DT or whatever on KDE ...) do automatically / should inherit / obey the DE theming & accessibility settings somehow.

But beyond that if there are applications that DON'T do that besides the advocacy / name & shame / pull request approaches is there really no mechanism at the
            "system" (desktop environment / window environment / whatever stack) level to tweak those other applications' outputs somehow? LD_LIBRARY path and accessibility / theme wrapper around their X / GTK / whatever calls?

Or for GPU based desktops can't one somehow apply a "shader" to any given application's window(s) before they're rendered out to the framebuffer so one can change things at the pixel / fragment level if needed (could be enough to do inverse video or whatever)?

And IIRC there's often a system level GPU level "LUT" or gamma table or something like that where one can map the brightness / contrast / gamma so if that's possible it seems odd to not be able to just apply a shader in modern programmable pipeline GPUs unless somehow the LUT / color curve processing happens even after all the rendering in the display interface block.

There's software like lookinglass / RDP / VNC / OBS that grabs the whole DT image and does stuff with it or window by window (share this window NN over conferencing / streaming...) so clearly using a shader ought to work if the whole window / screen can be captured and streamed / encoded.

It sounds like using a hammer when the tool you need is a tweezers but how many decades can it take before all these "rogue" applications won't listen to user preferences about theme / style / accessibility. Maybe there should be a "nuclear option" to "DO IT ANYWAY".

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

off topic:
              A dark theme is not something to monetize anymore, all other websites I use (including google/youtube) offer it for free.
              And being from a 3rd world country I'm not sending money to the West (or anywhere else) anymore, I'm not into crypto shit and a bank transfer fee alone is like 35$. If Michael was here I'd just give him a bag of weed and be done for a year with the "premium" subscription.

I recall buying paw paw seeds (asimina triloba) from the US, around 35$ for the bank transfer fee, plus 35$ for the physical postal transfer of the seeds, the seeds themselves only cost me like 10$. It's not worth donating anything when you country isn't tied to the free/cheap western financial conglomerates.
              I live in a 3rd world country and there's no 35$ for bank fee, this is an absurd value...

Maybe you live in a 4th world country...

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post

I live in a 3rd world country and there's no 35$ for bank fee, this is an absurd value...

Maybe you live in a 4th world country...
                If you never heard of this then your knowledge in this area is even worse than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
                  The 35$ fee is for international transfers. There may be other arrangements inside specific areas, such as the European SEPA, wherein the fee is waived. Anyway, 35$ is not a lot, for certain amounts of money.
                  * wire transfer fee might be something like (as it is here) x*0.0015 + 12 EUR; transferring 3000€ amounts to a total charge of 3017€.
                  * on the other hand, Paypal transfer fee is something like x*0.039 + 0; transferring 3000€ amounts to a total charge of 3117€.
                  (I make no assumptions about whether sender or recipient is charged, but someone is gonna bear the cost.)
                  Choose wisely. Whatever the exact values are, there are points when you should switch between credit card (if at all offered), bank wire transfers, and contemporary micropayment services.

Comment

Working...
                  X