No announcement yet.

Intel, AMD, Red Hat / IBM, Meta & Others Launch The AI Alliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*sigh* Can we not go one day without more people blowing smoke and mirror press releases about "AI" that are less intelligent than an amoeba and cluttering up news feeds just to con investors into thinking there's a fire because of how much stinking smoke corporations are churning out to scream "Me too!"?

This is about open source AI as much as a newly sealed time capsule "to be opened in 3023AD" is open. It's because all of those alliance companies got caught flat foot and are going into panic mode over a technology that's still as much smoke and mirrors as it was in the '80s. They're jealous of OpenAI's publicity and all the credulous investors that always seems to bring in each bubble cycle. The problem is, no one can possibly scream loud enough to be heard over the mob to say "This is a supremely bad idea!" and not because of tinfoil hat fears of Skynet. It's because those systems used to churn out models use up more electricity than entire countries. So much so companies are kicking around ideas of buying or building their own power plants just to keep up with demand. Regardless of how they generate electricity, those plants are generating heat, that heat has to go somewhere just so some half-literate high school grad can lie to their boss with how smart they are by asking a LLM to generate a report on data they never produced to begin with (or a whole host of other lies, deceptions, and biased articles, literature, art, and even laws).

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
      The main purpose of that alliance seems to be grouping together against the one, whose name shall not be spoken, but begins with N. However bringing open source balance to a proprietary monopoly is welcomed. The prices of that green 900 lb swamp thing reached dizzying heights.
      Nadella? Nokia? Nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        *sigh* Can we not go one day without more people blowing smoke and mirror press releases about "AI" that are less intelligent than an amoeba and cluttering up news feeds just to con investors into thinking there's a fire because of how much stinking smoke corporations are churning out to scream "Me too!"?
        It IS interesting that the most noticeable aspect of all these new "AI" language models is the proliferation of grammatically correct scams and frauds.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

It IS interesting that the most noticeable aspect of all these new "AI" language models is the proliferation of grammatically correct scams and frauds.
          And a few that are managing to use them to attack 10 year old vulnerabilities by writing their code for them... aka the new script kiddie.

Comment

I remember reading about the IBM systems manual/something like that that had in it that decisions should be made by humans because only humans can be held accountable.

Seems to fit well here.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Nadella? Nokia? Nvidia?
              Obviously Netflix. They don't want to enable netflix to make ai generated movies

Comment

I would rather have my own private AI system in my own home network. Just connect to Home Assistant, deny Internet access, and that's all I want for my home automation, especially when it comes to voice assistance.

Comment

Make no mistake, the orwellian language that gets used wrt AI ("safety", "responsibility", etc) is not about the ruling class exhibiting genuine concern that a chatbot might offend or misinform a peon. Sure, plenty of people have real concerns about skynet, but for now the establishment is concerned with what the establishment is always concerned with: self-preservation of the ruling class and their control over information and The Narrative.

They arent worried that a chatbot will tell you the earth is flat. They are worried that it has the potential to tell you the emperor wears no clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                    I remember reading about the IBM systems manual/something like that that had in it that decisions should be made by humans because only humans can be held accountable.

Seems to fit well here.
                    That is exactly how AI is used. The humans training and programming will hide behind the AI as a shield from responsibility, liability and accountability. Instead of training a monkey(a corporate fall guy) they can now let AI do the job and blame the AI.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Are you seeing a lot of scam mails? Might be related to browsing habits

Comment

Working...
                      X